Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Ferry crossing/advise needed

Ferry crossing/advise needed

Old Jan 24th 2007, 4:11 pm
Just Joined

kelterjon is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Ferry crossing/advise needed

I need advise on the best driving route to CB, my father is leaving uk on 23rd feb with all our stuff. He was going to use Santander, but when going to book, it doesn't start running again until march. So it's back to the drawing board, i've looked through other threads and see Santander seems to be popular, but as it is not running I need help. We have had different advise like: Calais, Bilbao, Caen. Any advise greatly appreciated as would like to get it booked.
Thank you
Old Jan 24th 2007, 7:05 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ferry crossing/advise needed

Originally Posted by kelterjon
I need advise on the best driving route to CB, my father is leaving uk on 23rd feb with all our stuff. He was going to use Santander, but when going to book, it doesn't start running again until march. So it's back to the drawing board, i've looked through other threads and see Santander seems to be popular, but as it is not running I need help. We have had different advise like: Calais, Bilbao, Caen. Any advise greatly appreciated as would like to get it booked.
Thank you
Well I've done three round trips over the last 4 months using different routes. Depends on your preferences, but I did Dover Calais ferry via Paris, Dover Calais Tunnel via Reims and Portsmouth St Malo via Bordeaux over the Pyranees. All via Tolls which worked out to about £90 in a 4 x 4.

Out of the three I enjoyed the St Malo route best, and certainly seemed like the shortest route.

OK so:

Dover / Calais bypassing Paris
Reims
Troyes
Past Dijon
Lyon
Nimes
Barcelona
I overnighted South of Troyes, but didn't get the ferry until 11 am from the UK.

or

Dover / Calais E15
Paris
and cut over to Dijon/Lyon
Nimes
Barcelona
Paris is a nightmare if you hit it during the day as you have to skirt the periferique and one accident will bring it to a standstill

Portsmouth / St Malo
Arrived 8 am
Overnighted just East of Bordeaux, stopped at 6 pm
Travelled over Pyranees
Arrived Gandia midnight the following day

Given the choice I'd do St Malo, although its not cheap on the ferry. You can cut over to Barcelona as well instead of going through the Pyranees as that part of the drive is challenging to say the least.

Good luck!!
Old Jan 24th 2007, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

Big_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really nice

Until just before Easter each year there are no ferries either from Santander to Plymouth or Bilbao to Portsmouth, and they also stop about the end of October each year.

There is a new Ro Ro that has just started this year from Bilbao to Portsmouth which is owned by the Spanish company called Acciona which I understand is running throughout the winter but I would not wish to cross the Bay in the winter on a Spanish Ro Ro.
They have an office in Palma Mallorca & also in Portsmouth

It is also a very strong rumour that P&O are not going to operate the ferry from Portsmouth to Bilbao this next year, so I am not sure at this present time unless someone else can better advise.

The only way is as Mitziboy says anywhere along the French Coast either, Cherbourg, La Havre, Caen, Roscoff, Calais or the channel tunnel.

Big_john Spain
Old Jan 24th 2007, 9:14 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big_john
There is a new Ro Ro that has just started this year from Bilbao to Portsmouth which is owned by the Spanish company called Acciona which I understand is running throughout the winter but I would not wish to cross the Bay in the winter on a Spanish Ro Ro.
They have an office in Palma Mallorca & also in Portsmouth
:
I think this is the Transmediterranea ferry service which I read today hve just cancelled their winter sailings.

I share your concerns about crossing Biscay in winter. I think a longer drive could be preferable.

My personal choice is Portsmouth/StMalo as it is a night crossing and avoids the Paris area. Nice food onboard and an early start which should get you across the border by late afternoon. Yes, it's a bit more expensive but it makes for an easier journey.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 9:22 pm
Just Joined

kelterjon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fred James
I think this is the Transmediterranea ferry service which I read today hve just cancelled their winter sailings.

I share your concerns about crossing Biscay in winter. I think a longer drive could be preferable.

My personal choice is Portsmouth/StMalo as it is a night crossing and avoids the Paris area. Nice food onboard and an early start which should get you across the border by late afternoon. Yes, it's a bit more expensive but it makes for an easier journey.

I have looked into this route and although it is about a ten hour crossing, (calais only 1.5 hour), you only save about 3 hours drive time, this is why I am soooo confused by it all
Old Jan 24th 2007, 10:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Solarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to all

I have looked into this route and although it is about a ten hour crossing, (calais only 1.5 hour), you only save about 3 hours drive time, this is why I am soooo confused by it all
I have done St MALO,,, Caen, and Le Havre, not done Calais, (Although I used to travel around Paris weekly from CDG to Orleans,and agree its a nightmare at the wrong time) and would suggest if you are going via Calais, ensure you come down Via Rouen, Le Man, Tours, Poitier, Bordeaux. Its now a pretty good road, a lot of Motorway, and the non motorway bits are ok

However would say there is not much to choose between, I have been down thru Bordeaux, or across France thru Orleans and Toulouse Perpignan to Barcelona,

Both routes give u a steady but not difficult! Climb over the Pyrenees, Abeit at the edges, Both routes have good roads all the way, although would say the Bordeaux route is Slightly better as it is Motorwary nearly all the way, and therefore slightly shorter and quicker to Murcia. I have done it by Car, Lorry 7.5T and Motorbike and would probably say the route highlighted by Mitzboy as being pretty good.
Old Jan 25th 2007, 6:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Bigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud of

Hi

We've just booked to travel back to Chiclana on the 19 Mar from Portsmouth to Bilbao at a cost of £199. includes cabin. We could have booked to travel earlier in the month not too sure about February but its worth checking.

It leaves at 2115 arrives two days later at 0930. Should give ample time to reach the CB that day. We make Chiclana on the Costa de la Luz in the same day. The return crossing is two over-nights out and one back.

Heard on BBC South that Acciona was withdrawing its route, after the next trip if I remember rightly.

Hope this helps,

jim
Old Jan 25th 2007, 7:07 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Perfectly true. The attraction to me was that you board the ferry at about 9pm, have a very good value meal and then get a good nights sleep in a proper cabin.

You get off the ferry at about 7am fresh and ready to drive. I have usually got across the border by late afternoon and stopped near Burgos before continuing in the morning.
Old Jan 25th 2007, 8:03 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
Perfectly true. The attraction to me was that you board the ferry at about 9pm, have a very good value meal and then get a good nights sleep in a proper cabin.

You get off the ferry at about 7am fresh and ready to drive. I have usually got across the border by late afternoon and stopped near Burgos before continuing in the morning.

Perfectly true .... when doing Dover Calais I had already driven three and a half hours before getting the ferry, so it limits your distance in France (sensibly) whereas with St Malo I was fresh at 8 am in France and able to do a whole days driving AND enjoy a stop at the lovely Royan on the way down.
Old Jan 25th 2007, 11:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

What about the Plymouth Roscoff route?
Old Jan 26th 2007, 7:47 am
Forum Regular

steve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to allsteve in pago is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
What about the Plymouth Roscoff route?
Hi chiclanagirl have you done this route & how long did it take you from there down to chiclana
cheers steve
Old Jan 26th 2007, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

PaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nicePaulLes is just really nice

Both ferries are running from Porsmouth to bilbao, through out Feb
Old Jan 26th 2007, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

Big_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really nice

Checked out Acciona ferries and they have just put on a new ferry from Portsmouth to Bilbao that will take 1000 passengers, and the ferry has just been refurbished for this run.

And it is running at the present.

So can't see hem taking it off this run when it has only just opened.

Offices in Portsmouth & Denia & Mallorca

Big_john Spain
Old Jan 26th 2007, 4:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud of

Hi Big John

Lets hope you are right, just tried to book on Acciona from Portmouth to Bilbao but got the response from their site that the service will restart again on 28 April.

C'est la vie - what we need is competition to keep the prices down seems to work on the airlines.

regards

Jim
Old Jan 29th 2007, 4:04 pm
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

Its a long drive via Calais. I have driven to Angouleme in France via St Malo and it is an easy drive, even if you use the slow roads and avoid the tolls. Returning via Calais was an almost non stop 11 hour trip and skirting around Paris can be tricky navigation. And the food on the Brittany ferries is a lot better than P &O.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.