Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

feeling a bit lost

feeling a bit lost

Old Oct 5th 2016, 12:44 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: feeling a bit lost

Originally Posted by lucilastic
..... It was so nice when Spain joined the EU to have lots of families around. I feel so sorry for young people who came & started enterprises which catered almost exclusively for the British. Many have had children growing up here & they are practically strangers to EnglandFrom my own daughter´s experience I can say she was viewed as "English" by the Spanish & "Spanish" by British folk. This despite she was married to a Spaniard & their child was born here. She had a different ID card to them also. I am sure there will not be mass deportation by the Spanish authorities but the Brits will likely do that themselves.
It's ironic, isn't it, that the British in Spain set up exactly the same sort of unintegrated "cuckoo communities" that many people in the UK have objected to when created by Poles, Romanians and Bulgarians, not to mention Indians and Pakistanis, and which undoubtedly fueled the Brexit vote. And in a deliciously circular twist of logic the unintegrated communities that have appeared in Britain have in turn inspired many people to leave Britain because "the immigrants are ruining things" only to go and help create British ghettos overseas.
Old Oct 5th 2016, 4:19 pm
Just Joined

Janix is an unknown quantity at this point

I just wrote a long response but it got lost while trying to post - lost connection.

well I was thanking you all for taking the time to discuss and give feedback. I don't know where I should move to yet, so much to consider. I've lived in CA for 23 years so living back in the UK would feel so odd to me. I cannot live in CA long term as a single mother though, it's incredibly expensive so decisions have to be made.
Old Oct 6th 2016, 7:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Janix
I just wrote a long response but it got lost while trying to post - lost connection.

well I was thanking you all for taking the time to discuss and give feedback. I don't know where I should move to yet, so much to consider. I've lived in CA for 23 years so living back in the UK would feel so odd to me. I cannot live in CA long term as a single mother though, it's incredibly expensive so decisions have to be made.
Why would it feel odd? The UK has loads of nice and different areas that might offer you something and Spain won't be gone tomorrow. I don't know your budget etc. but maybe a low cost area in the UK might be an option to save some money for later. The UK still offers a better social security net than Spain and do you need work? No doubt that CA has a lot to offer but it sure is an expensive place. Spain is not always as cheap as people try to make it, especially if you are on a Spanish salary.
Old Oct 6th 2016, 11:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Longlegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It's ironic, isn't it, that the British in Spain set up exactly the same sort of unintegrated "cuckoo communities" that many people in the UK have objected to when created by Poles, Romanians and Bulgarians, not to mention Indians and Pakistanis, and which undoubtedly fueled the Brexit vote. And in a deliciously circular twist of logic the unintegrated communities that have appeared in Britain have in turn inspired many people to leave Britain because "the immigrants are ruining things" only to go and help create British ghettos overseas.
An excellent post and oh so true!