Reload this Page >

feeling a bit lost

feeling a bit lost

Old Oct 4th 2016, 1:34 am
Just Joined

Janix is an unknown quantity at this point
Default feeling a bit lost

hi everyone,
I am a Brit and have been living in California for 23 years. I have a lot of questions and am not even sure where I want to move to yet but I know I cannot grow old here in san diego as a single mom. My research into other options of where to move to is very, very new.

I guess my first question would be, how difficult is it for a British passport holder to move to spain these days?

another question is, what is it like to live there in terms of access to health care, growing older (I'm 51 right now and thinking about my future security etc).

ok that's a good starting point
thanks!
Janis
Old Oct 4th 2016, 9:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: feeling a bit lost

Originally Posted by Janix
hi everyone,
I am a Brit and have been living in California for 23 years. I have a lot of questions and am not even sure where I want to move to yet but I know I cannot grow old here in san diego as a single mom. My research into other options of where to move to is very, very new.

I guess my first question would be, how difficult is it for a British passport holder to move to spain these days?

another question is, what is it like to live there in terms of access to health care, growing older (I'm 51 right now and thinking about my future security etc).

ok that's a good starting point
thanks!
Janis

As a British EU Citizen obviously (still) very easy to move, but in terms of health care you can find more info here:
Living in Spain | Healthcare in Spain

Of course like anywhere it will depend what your expectations are and do you have enough income, require a job, speak Spanish etc.
Old Oct 4th 2016, 9:50 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Currently nothing has changed (following Brexit) you may like to research here

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/residenc...ments-in-spain

But it maybe wise to take a decision in case things do start to change.
Old Oct 4th 2016, 1:53 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Moses2013
As a British EU Citizen obviously (still) very easy to move, but in terms of health care you can find more info here:
Living in Spain | Healthcare in Spain

Of course like anywhere it will depend what your expectations are and do you have enough income, require a job, speak Spanish etc.

Oh wow, I assumed since Brexit, we wouldn't have the option of living there, but yes I'm sure things will change over time.
Thank you for your response

Last edited by Rosemary; Oct 4th 2016 at 3:08 pm. Reason: corrected quote
Old Oct 4th 2016, 1:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by spainrico
Currently nothing has changed (following Brexit) you may like to research here

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/residenc...ments-in-spain

But it maybe wise to take a decision in case things do start to change.
Thank you so much for the link! I appreciate it.
Old Oct 4th 2016, 2:10 pm
Forum Regular

Cllve has a reputation beyond reputeCllve has a reputation beyond reputeCllve has a reputation beyond reputeCllve has a reputation beyond reputeCllve has a reputation beyond reputeCllve has a reputation beyond reputeCllve has a reputation beyond reputeCllve has a reputation beyond reputeCllve has a reputation beyond reputeCllve has a reputation beyond reputeCllve has a reputation beyond repute

The UK leaving the EU hasn't happened yet. Article 50 has to be triggered first then the U.K. will still be a EU member for a further two years. So at least two and a half years 'till the U.K. leaves the EU.

Last edited by Rosemary; Oct 4th 2016 at 3:14 pm. Reason: Quotes messed up so removed.
Old Oct 4th 2016, 2:12 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Janix
Oh wow, I assumed since Brexit, we wouldn't have the option of living there, but yes I'm sure things will change over time.
Thank you for your response
Contrary to the absurd rumours and panic being spread by the anti-Brexit camp, it was quite common for British citizens to live, work, and retire in Spain and Portugal before they joined the European Onion. It is quite likely that retirees with their income to spend, will continue to be welcome in Spain and Portugal
Old Oct 4th 2016, 2:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Longlegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Contrary to the absurd rumours and panic being spread by the anti-Brexit camp, it was quite common for British citizens to live, work, and retire in Spain and Portugal before they joined the European Onion. It is quite likely that retirees with their income to spend, will continue to be welcome in Spain and Portugal
Indeed it was commom for the British to come to Spain , what is at question is what rights the British will have in Spain when we leave the EU, i appreciate that a lot of things that were said by the "anti-brexit camp" will probably not happen but i do also wish the people would not say how wrong the same people are about what was said, truth is no one knows what's on the table yet, best to wait and see before we call anything "absurd"
Old Oct 4th 2016, 3:04 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Longlegpete
Indeed it was commom for the British to come to Spain , what is at question is what rights the British will have in Spain when we leave the EU, i appreciate that a lot of things that were said by the "anti-brexit camp" will probably not happen but i do also wish the people would not say how wrong the same people are about what was said, truth is no one knows what's on the table yet, best to wait and see before we call anything "absurd"
So long as members of the anti-Brexit camp present the wholesale deportation of British citizens as even vaguely likely, I think describing some predictions as "absurd" is entirely appropriate.

Deporting somewhere between 300,000 and 750,000 people from Spain, depending on which estimate of British citizens living in Spain you believe, would immediately push the Spanish economy into recession and create a housing slump that would take years to clear. The Spanish housing market is already a mess, so the last thing it needs is another 150,000-350,000 vacant properties!

Whatever uncertainties there are about Brexit, it will not lead to wholesale forced deportation of British citizens from Spain.
Old Oct 4th 2016, 3:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Also common that British Citizens buy holiday homes in Florida and they certainly don't have the same rights as US Citizens. It's not panic and just natural to be worried, especially for people who aren't that wealthy.
Old Oct 4th 2016, 3:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

So long as members of the anti-Brexit camp present the wholesale deportation of British citizens as even vaguely likely, I think describing some predictions as "absurd" is entirely appropriate.

Deporting somewhere between 300,000 and 750,000 people from Spain, depending on which estimate of British citizens living in Spain you believe, would immediately push the Spanish economy into recession and create a housing slump that would take years to clear. The Spanish housing market is already a mess, so the last thing it needs is another 150,000-350,000 vacant properties!

Whatever uncertainties there are about Brexit, it will not lead to wholesale forced deportation of British citizens from Spain.
I don't think he talked about deporting people, but the couple with a small pension and free health care might feel it if they are no longer covered and have to pay.
Old Oct 4th 2016, 4:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Longlegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
I don't think he talked about deporting people, but the couple with a small pension and free health care might feel it if they are no longer covered and have to pay.
Indeed, I dont for one minute believe people will be deported unless there is some kind of tit for tat behaviour that I think most will hope doesn't happen, its things like health care and especially taxation, the swiss and norwegians are treated differently so will we I suspect
Old Oct 4th 2016, 9:33 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

While it's likely that Britain will impose a lot of bureaucracy on EU citizens to live and work in Britain (it's an obsession), it's highly unlikely that Europe will impose the same restrictions on British citizens. Europe doesn't harbour anywhere near the same obsessive anti-foreigner sentiments as Britain.
Old Oct 5th 2016, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

lucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond reputelucilastic has a reputation beyond repute

Moses is quite right in that it is the WORRY of what may/maynot happen when you live on a small budget.And,yes,I came here before Spain entered the EU but to run a business.There were retirees here but many rather wealthier than the large group now.It was so nice when Spain joined the EU to have lots of families around.I feel so sorry for young people who came & started enterprises which catered almost exclusively for the British.Many have had children growing up here & they are practically strangers to EnglandFrom my own daughter´s experience I can say she was viewed as "English" by the Spanish & "Spanish" by British folk.This despite she was married to a Spaniard & their child was born here..She had a different ID card to them also.I am sure there will not be mass deportation by the Spanish authorities but the Brits:will likely do that themselves.
Old Oct 5th 2016, 12:36 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

For those living on a Sterling economy, yes, you have something to worry about. The pound is likely to go lower, and stay there for the foreseeable future. And that will make everything more expensive. Especially abroad.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.