Favourite fish

Old Jan 19th 2011, 8:22 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Favourite fish

Originally Posted by JLFS
Yes, the best way to describe them is, they look like a leg with claus on the end, very tough skin, which has to be torn and the pink meat inside is the only bit that gets eaten.

They are expensive and not used in meals AFAIK, they are just to pick.

They are not bad, but I cant understand why people go crazy for them and pay the price they do, but then agian it takes all sorts.
They are supposed to be delicious.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 8:42 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
They are supposed to be delicious.
They are nice, but it is more a social thing, they are eaten with a glass of nice albarino wine, whilst chewing the cud in a group.

They are quite chewy, and when "opened" often a jet of water squirts out down the your front,

they are nice to eat, but the price to me seem way OTT for what they are.

The price is based on the danger in collecting them more than anything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPYv6Rt8Ktw
Old Jan 19th 2011, 11:24 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scampicat

Cod (but not that horrible bacalao), hake, sardines (in tomato sauce), salmon (fresh or smoked) but my favourite is trout.
I agree with you about Bacalao which is supposed to be Cod.
As I understand it Bacalao is South Atlantic Cod.

I don't know why, but it doesn't seem to taste anything like as good as North Atlantic Cod.
Wonder if it's a completely different fish ?
Old Jan 20th 2011, 1:32 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
I agree with you about Bacalao which is supposed to be Cod.
As I understand it Bacalao is South Atlantic Cod.

I don't know why, but it doesn't seem to taste anything like as good as North Atlantic Cod.
Wonder if it's a completely different fish ?
Bacalao is salted cod and looks like something you would give to the cat, grey and dried up, tastes similar.

The only non-Spanish person I knw who likes it is Jamaican.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 6:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Bacalao is salted cod and looks like something you would give to the cat, grey and dried up, tastes similar.
No, the salted version of Bacalao, is just one type of cod in Spain and is the "poor mans fish" that is meant for the country folk who live in the campo.

You can also buy fresh bacalao.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 7:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

BAIT, BAIT well we all know that you are a bit of a snob, but.....bait.....what a waste...
Snob? My wife just fell about laughing when I told her that! Pouting, whiting, were considered pretty tastelesss, unexciting fish by us lot.

I am not even sure if the translation to English is right, sometimes they come up wrong where fish and food is conerned.
I translated percebes and got barnacles for the English equivalent.
You might be right, but it was from the Latin, do they look a bit like cod, with the feeler like thing on the lower lip. You can see where the verb "to pout" comes from, or vice versa.
Percebes? Goose barnacles, which is very different from ordinary barnacles. I found thousands washed up on the beach recently, I thought then some Spaniard would kill for these!
Goose Barnacles. In Portugal and Spain, they are a widely consumed and expensive delicacy known as percebes.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 7:55 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
No, the salted version of Bacalao, is just one type of cod in Spain and is the "poor mans fish" that is meant for the country folk who live in the campo.

You can also buy fresh bacalao.

Ah! As i live with 'the country folk who live in the campo' this is the only bacalao I have ever had. Glad there is an improved variety!
Old Jan 20th 2011, 8:04 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Ah! As i live with 'the country folk who live in the campo' this is the only bacalao I have ever had. Glad there is an improved variety!
I have tried salted and fresh versions but not found any that compares with the N.Atlantic version as served up in N.Europe.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 8:10 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
Snob? My wife just fell about laughing when I told her that! Pouting, whiting, were considered pretty tastelesss, unexciting fish by us lot.

You might be right, but it was from the Latin, do they look a bit like cod, with the feeler like thing on the lower lip. You can see where the verb "to pout" comes from, or vice versa.
Percebes? Goose barnacles, which is very different from ordinary barnacles. I found thousands washed up on the beach recently, I thought then some Spaniard would kill for these!
Goose Barnacles. In Portugal and Spain, they are a widely consumed and expensive delicacy known as percebes.
Goose banacles, then.......Goose is a very important word, it can change the meaning of a lot of sentences, and I like a good goose myself.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 9:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Goose banacles, then.......
No, not banacles! Also known as goose neck barnacles.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 10:49 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Has any body mentioned Tuna - fresh or tinned?

Also, shark and swordfish is wonderful.

Anyone for dolphin - big in USA!

Last edited by snikpoh; Jan 20th 2011 at 12:19 pm.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 11:35 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Has any body mentioned Tuna - fresh or tinned?

Also, shark is wonderful.

Anyone for dolphin - big in USA!
Yeah, me.

The yanks eat dolphin? Surely that's a fish with that name? It seems to ring a bell.

Not even the yanks would eat Flipper.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 1:16 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Mahi-Mahi is also called a dolphin fish. It's nice in Tempura batter.
Old Jan 20th 2011, 1:22 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by bil
Yeah, me.

The yanks eat dolphin? Surely that's a fish with that name? It seems to ring a bell.

Not even the yanks would eat Flipper.
Well, if they can eat Bambi and Thumper.............
Old Jan 20th 2011, 1:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Being a Londoner I also like jellied eels. I suspect I am in the minority

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.