Reload this Page >

Fathers Death in Spain

Fathers Death in Spain

Old Apr 27th 2008, 4:39 am
Just Joined

fran1958 is on a distinguished road
Question Fathers Death in Spain

Hi people......

Can any body offer a guide to the process and procedure that I need to do in dealing with a family death in Malaga.

My father died last night and I am on my way to Spain to deal with the burial, probate and all that.

My mother is in hospital at this time in Spain and I have no idea where I start and what bureaucracy with be involved .

My parents were residents of Spain and my father had made a Spanish will and had no other assets in any other country.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Old Apr 27th 2008, 6:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fathers Death in Spain

Originally Posted by fran1958
Hi people......

Can any body offer a guide to the process and procedure that I need to do in dealing with a family death in Malaga.

My father died last night and I am on my way to Spain to deal with the burial, probate and all that.

My mother is in hospital at this time in Spain and I have no idea where I start and what bureaucracy with be involved .

My parents were residents of Spain and my father had made a Spanish will and had no other assets in any other country.

Regards
How sad for you please accept my condolences. I know nothing of burials and registrations but I do know that you have a relatively short time to prove your dads will 6 months. I would say after you have got a few copies of an "International" death certificate (if you need to do anything outside Spain it must be one of those) you would take that and the will to the notary who drew up the will if he is nearby and ask for the will to be proved. The notary will check that the will you produce is the last one registered in Madrid and if it is will set the process in motion. If your dad had a solicitor whom he used for general matters you could go there with the will and certificate and ask him to do it all for you but there will be a cost involved.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 6:59 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fran1958
Hi people......

Regards
Very sad and I send you and your family our condolences.

There is a link HERE to a PDF file from the British embassy on Death overseas, if you click on the front of the book picture, which may be of help to you.

If you can`t download it you may need to download Foxit reader

As John says try and contact his solicitor as it may ease the pressure.

Just found another link for you HERE

Last edited by jdr; Apr 27th 2008 at 7:01 am.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 9:25 am
Just Joined

fran1958 is on a distinguished road

Thank you ......the literature is very helpful ..especially The Age Concern one
Old Apr 27th 2008, 9:36 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

So sorry to hear of your lose, hope everything goes very smoothly for you.

Depending on the area that you will be in as to whether there is much English spoken so bear in mind that you may need an interpreter for some things to ensure that there is no confusion.

Best wishes

Rosemary