Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Fast, Cheap Internet Costa del Sol?

Fast, Cheap Internet Costa del Sol?

Old Aug 20th 2013, 9:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fast, Cheap Internet Costa del Sol?

Originally Posted by pwwm
Just so you know, we are with Jazztell, that web site is not jazztell they wont do anymore but put you in touch with parent company, as we know when we have problems. Yes that will be Spanish. Not sure how they will set new lines up as you need to have a line fitted before you can go with them

Having said that, cost monthly with 10mg, 300 mins to UK 60 mins to mobiles and all Spanish calls free with line rental all in about 43€ doesnt matter that it is "expensive" it is half what we paid Telefonica, or now called Movistar.
Thanks, for me - I would have only gone through the .es domain, but for the OP I thought it might benefit him the UK one.

So you would still recommend them still it seems, excellent stuff

How quick did they set you up, and how quick can you get a phone line in, I know we need the line first, I was allowing 15 days for both to be set up ?
Old Aug 20th 2013, 11:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Ok I've not been on BE for a while, and anyone who remembers me will remember me banging on about those of us in the campo without line of sight to any repeater/aerials/etc.
Anyone any new ideas about internet of any reasonable speed in those circumstances? Or accurate info ref TV gb usage IF we lose channels? etceterarararara??
Old Aug 20th 2013, 11:39 pm
Forum Regular

EnglishPatriot is an unknown quantity at this point

Off topic, but out of interest what is the general standard of broadband like in rural areas of Spain?

Some parts of Spain can be very remote, so I was wondering if all areas have access to ADSL or whether some of the most remote areas are still on dial-up like remote parts of the United States?
Old Aug 20th 2013, 11:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EnglishPatriot
Off topic, but out of interest what is the general standard of broadband like in rural areas of Spain?

Some parts of Spain can be very remote, so I was wondering if all areas have access to ADSL or whether some of the most remote areas are still on dial-up like remote parts of the United States?
We have, as I said, no line of sight to any aerial so are reliant on point-to-point (frowned upon by Iberbanda and the like) ..... effectively if there ain't satellite we ain't got it. Broadband? What's that? Mind you the speed isn't toooo bad -sometimes it gets below a ping of 55. That's when it's not hovering 65-80-112-262-3603 (I kid you not). Of course that begs the question is ping worth doing. Anyway I digress. I couldn't begin to answer your question! And actually to be fair A LOT OF Spain is very remote............. at least, away from the coastal strips and main roads!
Old Aug 21st 2013, 3:40 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fionamw
Ok I've not been on BE for a while, and anyone who remembers me will remember me banging on about those of us in the campo without line of sight to any repeater/aerials/etc.
Anyone any new ideas about internet of any reasonable speed in those circumstances? Or accurate info ref TV gb usage IF we lose channels? etceterarararara??
Please open the link in post 11, to get the download usage approximation in GB.

If you are looking to use the internet to replace satellite if/when it goes offline, then its important to understand the video download amounts you will need to have paid for through your internet package, to allow even for a smallish amount of video watching on the internet daily.

The link also talks about SD speeds to get a good picture.

Jon
Old Aug 21st 2013, 6:40 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andyrich666
Have you tried Jazztel, they have a English website and can offer you support, this company Is probably who I will use if available where we are going, they have TV packages as well, but that is not on the UK site, I would prefer the TV too though

http://www.jazztelinenglish.com/
that is a rip-off company that resells jazztel products and fills in the forms for you to then charge you for things that are free
there are others who have been reselling Xinenglish to rip-off expats who think it is hard - believe me, if I can matriculate a car, register with Medical, register with Social Services, register for residency etc and take out a Movistar contract all without an interpreter then it can't be that hard.

try http://www.jazztel.com/
although it will be in Spanish, just remember that is the national language and it is a good way of learning it - although in todays modern technology many of the words are multi-national/multi-lingual
Old Aug 21st 2013, 6:46 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Wow. Spain is a so called developed nation and yet can't offer houses essential services like phonelines because the post office/local authorities haven't bothered to give the development a street name.
what a crass statement

if houses are on an urb/poli then they may well be seen as private property and many services have to be paid for by builder/developer. If they aren't paid for then there is no connection

until they are asked to do so the town hall will not give street names, especially if they haven't adopted the scheme

it is possible to get things done using the Cadastral reference number, but until the property is registered on there it doesn't exist. Another reason for not having a street name.
Old Aug 21st 2013, 6:51 am

Like rural areas of the UK such as the dales and fells - POOR or non-existant, where you may be lucky to get a signal on your mobile

But then you may find that you can use Wimax which is available in rural areas - I use that whilst living in a village but for different reasons

but even in towns you can only get a low level service with hard wire.
Old Aug 21st 2013, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

JB80 is an unknown quantity at this point

Are there any companies that offer unlimited downloads?
One or two 30min skype calls kills our usage levels and am currently operating on .6mb download speed because of it.
The current provider only offer unlimited usage at these slows speeds which is useless.
Old Aug 21st 2013, 10:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JB80
Are there any companies that offer unlimited downloads?
One or two 30min skype calls kills our usage levels and am currently operating on .6mb download speed because of it.
The current provider only offer unlimited usage at these slows speeds which is useless.
I spoke to one of customers in Madrid and I explained how unlimited works in the UK, you either have unlimited with conditions (like you now) which is most ISP which means it can never be unlimited or you have what we do which is a total free for all but at a premium £60 a month.

He said to me that you wont have that problem with Jazztel 12mb without conditions, so that is why I will opt for it unless It is not possible.
Old Aug 21st 2013, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

JB80 is an unknown quantity at this point

I spoke to one of customers in Madrid and I explained how unlimited works in the UK, you either have unlimited with conditions (like you now) which is most ISP which means it can never be unlimited or you have what we do which is a total free for all but at a premium £60 a month.

He said to me that you wont have that problem with Jazztel 12mb without conditions, so that is why I will opt for it unless It is not possible.
Well, we have just used up 11gb and they have slowed us right down now. I called and upgraded to the 22gb package which should kick in today or manana. But even then it's not going to be anywhere near enough with skyping Grandparents and more importantly watching the football.

I don't know, the slow net at the moment is frying my brain and I'm a bit pissy at the whole situation. We are also supposed to have up top 20mb download and 6 up but it has never gone above 5down and .20 up, something when pointed out seemed to go straight through the ladies ears.
Old Aug 21st 2013, 10:56 am
Just Joined

talgo is an unknown quantity at this point

I do not know if I made myself clear yesterday but I am flooded with replies to the Internet issue, Xpat Planet supply unlimited Internet no dongle no point to point equipment. If you have the opportunity to get a classical connection then okay,if Internet is not your thing try it, if you need HD or your kids use their iPADs A COUPLE OF MEGS WILL NOT DO, 20M willallow even skype which uses data, they also speak English
Old Aug 21st 2013, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

Neil29649 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by talgo
I do not know if I made myself clear yesterday but I am flooded with replies to the Internet issue, Xpat Planet supply unlimited Internet no dongle no point to point equipment. If you have the opportunity to get a classical connection then okay,if Internet is not your thing try it, if you need HD or your kids use their iPADs A COUPLE OF MEGS WILL NOT DO, 20M willallow even skype which uses data, they also speak English
They offer Satellite Internet which is only Unlimited if you gor for one of the expensive packages i.e €99.95 per month!!!!!

There are many companies that offer these services but they all use the same providor therefore you pay the same monthly fee whoever intalls it..
Old Aug 21st 2013, 11:25 am
Just Joined

Sorry you have got your facts wrong , I pay 76 Euros a month for unlimited, which is not alot considering Iberbanda charged me 70 for IMb, you may get 3Mb from TELEFONICA depending on location,but rural locations will have to pay more , nothing is free!
Old Aug 21st 2013, 11:28 am
Just Joined

Also Soltecspain is that not self promotion?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.