Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Fast, Cheap Internet Costa del Sol?

Fast, Cheap Internet Costa del Sol?

Old Jul 18th 2013, 10:28 am
Malaga Expat

jewseboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fast, Cheap Internet Costa del Sol?

Hi

I am looking for a good ISP with a minimum of 6MB download connection, good latency and reliable customer service, (in Spain I hear you say :-) ). Can you guys recommend any for me???

I live inland close to La Cala de Mijas, Costa del Sol and up until a month ago, the Urb where I live did not have a street name. Without a street name apparently Telefonica can not offer you a telephone line or internet, therefore a lot of the other services that use the telefonica lines will also not be available to me.

I am currently using a company called BigLan who offer me a wireless connection at 6mb download rate at €36/month. The service is quite good but its a small outfit and they wont give me access to my router for me to configure and other small problems that have pushed me into looking for another service. Not responsive at all to my questions, phone calls or emails.

Any recommendations would be great as I will be needing a good speed to watch TV come September when the UK channels disappear.

Best.
Old Jul 18th 2013, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

lyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Fast, Cheap Internet Costa del Sol?

Check out "Broadband4Spain" for both your requirements if they cover your area.

Usual disclaimers.
Old Jul 18th 2013, 12:18 pm
Malaga Expat

jewseboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Looks good but unfortunately only in Torrox area
Old Jul 18th 2013, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

Neil29649 is an unknown quantity at this point

It depends exactly where you are and more importantly what you can see.
You cannot have ADSL as Movistar have not connected the line so therefore any other company offering ADSL cannot connect you also.

Probably your best option would be Wireless Internet.
The 3 main companies offering this service are Mercury Internet, Y-Internet and Wikiker.

Depending on the contract you take out you may be able to get the installation for free.

If you're paying €36.00 per month for 6mb then it's not a bad deal to be honest.

Satellite Internet is another option but is quite expensive and will be a lot more than you're paying at the moment.

If you need any help PM me.
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 9:52 am
Just Joined

Kierandxb is an unknown quantity at this point

I am looking for a good internet service provider. I have recently found a place in the Mijas Golf area which I will be using as a holiday home and eventual retirement home. Any advice you can give me would be appreciated.
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 11:02 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Neil29649

If you're paying €36.00 per month for 6mb then it's not a bad deal to be honest.
For Spain, anyway. If anyone offered that price in much of Northern Europe, they'd be out of business very quickly.
Old Aug 20th 2013, 3:15 pm
Just Joined

talgo is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Fast, Cheap Internet Costa del Sol?

Originally Posted by jewseboy
Hi

I am looking for a good ISP with a minimum of 6MB download connection, good latency and reliable customer service, (in Spain I hear you say :-) ). Can you guys recommend any for me???

I live inland close to La Cala de Mijas, Costa del Sol and up until a month ago, the Urb where I live did not have a street name. Without a street name apparently Telefonica can not offer you a telephone line or internet, therefore a lot of the other services that use the telefonica lines will also not be available to me.

I am currently using a company called BigLan who offer me a wireless connection at 6mb download rate at €36/month. The service is quite good but its a small outfit and they wont give me access to my router for me to configure and other small problems that have pushed me into looking for another service. Not responsive at all to my questions, phone calls or emails.

Any recommendations would be great as I will be needing a good speed to watch TV come September when the UK channels disappear.

Best.
Have you tried Xpat Planet their on facebook and supply things that you may not have heard of includng IPTV and a phone business
Old Aug 20th 2013, 3:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tried Jazztel, they have a English website and can offer you support, this company Is probably who I will use if available where we are going, they have TV packages as well, but that is not on the UK site, I would prefer the TV too though

http://www.jazztelinenglish.com/

Last edited by andyrich666; Aug 20th 2013 at 3:31 pm.
Old Aug 20th 2013, 3:34 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by andyrich666
Have you tried Jazztel, they have a English website and can offer you support, this company Is probably who I will use if available where we are going, they have TV packages as well, but that is not on the UK site, I would prefer the TV too though

http://www.jazztelinenglish.com/
Jazztel do not install in the Campo, Xpat have 20Mb DOWN 6Mb up, their calls are 1cent per min to UK and have a solution for when Sky goes off, best of all the guy is honest and reliable.It costs nothing to ask though.
Old Aug 20th 2013, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

EnglishPatriot is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow. Spain is a so called developed nation and yet can't offer houses essential services like phonelines because the post office/local authorities haven't bothered to give the development a street name.
Old Aug 20th 2013, 4:20 pm
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jewseboy
Hi

Best.
I use an SD slingbox to watch TV on the internet. Beware however its not just speed you need, also effectively the most expensive unlimited Internet service.

See attached. Just 15 mins TV a day is roughly 15gb a month downloaded.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...&postcount=232

I would recommend the slingbox, and I bought the cheapest one for SD to limit the gb downloaded... Of course you need eg Sky or another TV service, in the UK to use it, i.e your residence if you have a 2nd home in Spain, or a friend, family member who is OK with you having a spare box in their home.
...and have the spare upload capacity to give you.
Jon

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Aug 20th 2013 at 4:28 pm.
Old Aug 20th 2013, 5:00 pm
Just Joined

There are better solutions than a sling box, bandwidth costs both end, plus a package and electric if you use your own home. I did consider it ,but got talked out of it, advice made sense.
Old Aug 20th 2013, 5:04 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by talgo
Have you tried Xpat Planet their on facebook and supply things that you may not have heard of includng IPTV and a phone business
As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Aug 20th 2013, 6:57 pm
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by talgo
There are better solutions than a sling box, bandwidth costs both end, plus a package and electric if you use your own home. I did consider it ,but got talked out of it, advice made sense.
I really like it and I have full control to watch all the channels, make/watch recordings etc, exactly as at home. So as a user I still strongly recommend the Slingbox less than £90 from Amazon.

If you have other preferences, share them with us, and each person can choose the system that works for their specific requirements. I'm delighted with the Slingbox for our specific usage.

Going back to my point above, whichever route you take, downloading video is internet-intensive, and even basic usage would usually mean taking out an unlimited usage contract. BUT read the small print, even so-called 'unlimited' contracts may have a 'fair use' policy, effectively cutting you off. If you watch just ONE hour per day, thats roughly 60gb a month, watch more and you may hit limits.

Beware!

Lets see what happens when people start using the internet MUCH more if they lose satellite reception... In high expat areas this could really put strain on the existing networks.... E.g when Corrie is on

Of course those with second homes in Spain, who want UKTV, will have to decide if they want to pay for those months when they are NOT there on the most expensive unlimited contracts.

Jon
Old Aug 20th 2013, 8:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

Just so you know, we are with Jazztell, that web site is not jazztell they wont do anymore but put you in touch with parent company, as we know when we have problems. Yes that will be Spanish. Not sure how they will set new lines up as you need to have a line fitted before you can go with them

Having said that, cost monthly with 10mg, 300 mins to UK 60 mins to mobiles and all Spanish calls free with line rental all in about 43€ doesnt matter that it is "expensive" it is half what we paid Telefonica, or now called Movistar.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.