Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

family movein to alicante in sep 09

family movein to alicante in sep 09

Old Aug 6th 2009, 5:33 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: family movein to alicante in sep 09

Originally Posted by irishdell
I appriecate all ya help n all but asn't anyone got anythin' postive to say about spain . And ya can't tell me in all off spain theres no driverin' or couch jobs. From what ya all sayin' it's just like uk. lol
we love living here & wouldn't want to bring our kids up anywhere else

but unemployment here is the worst in europe

hang on - haven't I already said that

without an income from outside spain we wouldn't be able to stay here

& I speak & teach Spanish!!!
Old Aug 6th 2009, 5:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paintermujer
Spain is a beautiful place in every sense.

I dont know but either way it would be more difficult in Spain - it is different there.Were supposed to be in the EU but there is still red tape. Reams of it infact.

I am not sure its red tape, its simply language and the people you know.

Ask yourself this Q, do you think you could get a driving job in the UK if you didnt speak English and you didnt know anyone in the business? Most (if not all) bus companies are Spanish here and the same for lorries and freight. So just to go to the interview you will need to speak Spanish. I think this is a very fair request and has nothing to do with the EU.

The unemployment rate is 19% in Spain vs. about 9% in the UK, over twice as much! There are 4 million unemployed, many of which were working as drivers, construction workers etc doing the jobs irishdell wants to get into. Not only that, but the cheap immigrant jobs go to Latin Americans and Romanians who speak Spanish.

The only chance you have as an English person who doesnt speak Spanish is to have an English friend or acquantance who wants someone to do work for them in Spain. Or maybe work for the English removal companies who are driving the British people's possessions back to their homes in the UK
Old Aug 6th 2009, 5:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
we love living here & wouldn't want to bring our kids up anywhere else

but unemployment here is the worst in europe

hang on - haven't I already said that

without an income from outside spain we wouldn't be able to stay here

& I speak & teach Spanish!!!
Wow you've done well since you didnt speak Spanish when you arrived

My wife speaks 5 laguages fluently, well, she'd say 3 and it hasnt really helped her in the job market. You need a really niche job that your languages will make a difference - and then you still need another skill such as engineer etc. And there are so many people who speak lots of languages in Europe that there is a lot of competition.

Language skills simply put you on a level playing field with the people who can already speak that language. I would never move to a country where I didnt speak the language, now I dont like to go on holiday unless I understand

Most importantly, languages give you the freedown to enjoy the world, but they're not a passport to loads of money.
Old Aug 6th 2009, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

missbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cricketman
You have to admire how wonderfully naive so many British people are. They move to France and Spain without any idea of the job situation, the language, the culture or what on earth they will do when they get there - and they often bring children along to boot.

I am amazed at some of the questions that are asked on this site, when a person could spend an hour on google and come up with some great answers.

Are British people blinded by a romatic notion that the grass is always greener? Or is it just that people want to live where they've been on holiday?

My Spanish friends wouldnt dream of moving to another country without knowing about the job market and speaking the language, yet I get calls all the time from British friends wanting to make the move to Spain, the last one was a lawyer and wanted to move to Barcelona - and didnt speak 2 words of Spanish or Catalan, in fact he'd never heard of Catalan!
Hi
You can google as often as you like, but i like to ask questions from people who are in Spain and that can give a good honest answer. google can not do that. I do believe some people are naive me for one, however i would rather try something than regret not trying. x
Old Aug 6th 2009, 5:53 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whitelinen
No....not the same it is much worse, unemplyment is probably over 20 per cent now.
And no unemployment benfit, dont forget.

JLFS
Old Aug 6th 2009, 6:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

SueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond repute

I reckon we just waste our time answering some of these threads. Does no-one ever read the posts on here before posting. Ok rant over - heading for the wine and a darkened room
Old Aug 6th 2009, 6:08 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I can't resist making a point in favour of living in a 'British' area. When dialling the emergency number (112) you can speak to an English-speaking operator, or a German one. The giant, new and excellent Torrevieja hospital have English speaking staff in the emergency department to cater for the majority of their customers. The reception staff are similarly bilingual, and most consultants can speak some English.

Although reluctant to admit it, the more senior Guardia Civil officers have all attended classes to learn English, especially the detectives who work undercover, or in homicide.

And the bank staff, lawyers, doctors, taxi drivers etc etc all speak enough English to make you feel at home.
Old Aug 6th 2009, 6:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

jay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by irishdell
hi all im dell and my family wife 3 kids movein to alicante in sep 09 plz can some1 put me in touch with best site to long term let a property or any body no some1 with 3 bed place to let upto 400 a month plus i am hgv and coach driver is there work there for me . are we better off in alicante town or benidorm to give our selves best chance of work . plus schools for kids when term starts and best schools any tips would be great we have looked all tis up but info very scarce on net tnks everybody any tips at all bout movein wud be great tnks dell ....
I must admit that this is probably not the best time to be looking to move to Spain, out of curiosity how old are you children, you have to consider wether they would be able to settle in a new school, the younger they are the better their chances. If you have teenagers I would consider hanging back till they have finished their education.

Sometimes looking at the bigger picture and taking your time will grosse dividends. fail to prepare is to prepare to fail.

Just a suggestion try contacting removal companies in the UK that do the Spanish runs and test the water as to job potential also google UK bound firms in Spain and do the same, that will give you at least a rough idea of your chances, if Brit firms are not recruiting then you will stand little chance with a Spanish Firm.

As for coach work unless you are ofay with Spanish roads, signs, geography, laws and regulations you may struggle just a tad, sorry not to be able to say it will be OK but maybe just a little common sence. In the UK as a wagon drive you are bound by the laws, time directive, six and 4 hours rule, do you know what the regs are there?, you would be a sitting duck open to all sorts of abuse and ignorance is no excuse.
Old Aug 6th 2009, 6:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by HBG
I can't resist making a point in favour of living in a 'British' area. When dialling the emergency number (112) you can speak to an English-speaking operator, or a German one.

112 is the European emergency number and is not specific to Brit enclaves in Spain.

Valuable time can be lost calling this number as they then have to call the local emergency number so it is best to know the local emergency number and have a basic knowledge of the lingo.
Old Aug 6th 2009, 7:10 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paintermujer
What about airport transfers or something like that for work but speaking spanish would be essential I think.

we are making our move the end of this month to the inland Alicante area.
Illegal without a licence and special insurance.
Old Aug 6th 2009, 7:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SueG
I reckon we just waste our time answering some of these threads. Does no-one ever read the posts on here before posting. Ok rant over - heading for the wine and a darkened room
maybe they dont but its always worth recapping on. very important issue
Old Aug 6th 2009, 7:14 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by painterhombre
there's some very wise advice on this thread.

As far as a place for 400 euros a month, well yes, its possible, but south costa blanca only, or costa del sol.

your best bet are on the expat urbanisations, new houses, that no-one can sell. If you look hard enough, reckon you can find a nice one, especially from the research we did a few months back. try torrevieja. Most certainly not where i would want to live, but, well, horses for courses as they say, depends how bad you want to come over here?

...and the job thing, well, its VERY bad over there, highest unemployment in the EU. Depends again on how adaptable and resourceful you are, but i hope you do eventually sort something out, but be warned work is VERY scarce in Spain just now.

good luck anyway
Maybe a studio flat in the middle of Benalmadena for 400€`s.
Old Aug 6th 2009, 7:52 pm

manamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of light

I am so surprised that so many young families want to come to Spain.

It is not the dream the media portrays.

Unless you know Spanish fluently and have a job secured, I would not recommend moving. It is a high risk to take.

We are lucky - my husband has a job (for now). We have healthcover.
I know a few Spanish people who will help in a crisis and have done so. We have been here 8 months and I have been to the hospital with my 5 year old twice already!! (allegic reaction to mozzie bites/falling off a bouncy castle) and me twice with my eye. Each time I have had to call a friend to translate.

Not easy and very stressful. Times like that you wish you were back home.

So think of the practicalities - and the what ifs.
Old Aug 6th 2009, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

missbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud of

Is there anything anyone likes about living in Spain?
Old Aug 6th 2009, 8:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by missbad
Is there anything anyone likes about living in Spain?

People who are financially secure love Spain.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.