Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Failing to file IRPF declaration for a few years

Failing to file IRPF declaration for a few years

Old Oct 10th 2022, 3:49 pm
Just Joined

cherry_O_O is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Failing to file IRPF declaration for a few years

TLDR; if you failed to file your IRPF(s), can you share how much you were fined and what the process was, how long did it take to resolve everything. I've googled this already but I just want to hear from people who might've experienced this

Long story short - I've been employed in BCN since 2017, my employer has been paying the taxes for me and I kinda assumed that I don't need to do anything (one employer at a time, no extra income, i'm on special tax regime) like in other countries I used to live in. Income >23k a year, resident for tax purposes since 2017. I changed employer once.

For a few reasons, I had to reach out to a tax consultant this year and they made me aware that I should've been filing IRPF annually. I'm shocked that agencia tributaria has never notified me that they're missing tax declaration (expecting much, I know)

I know the fines will be around 75-200 euros per year. If I underpaid tax, then the fine might be 150% of the tax owed. The estimate from accountants are around 200 euros per each yearly tax return. So a lot of money.... I've got all the documents, payslips and online access / clave registered. I wonder how much work it will be for the accountant to sort this kind of thing out? Is agencia tributaria likely to go easy on me?

Does anyone have any advice what to do in this situation? What are the options? Is this kind of thing common? Can you recommend any gestor who wouldn't charge me millions for this?

Last edited by cherry_O_O; Oct 10th 2022 at 3:56 pm.
Old Oct 11th 2022, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

bolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Failing to file IRPF declaration for a few years

Originally Posted by cherry_O_O
TLDR; if you failed to file your IRPF(s), can you share how much you were fined and what the process was, how long did it take to resolve everything. I've googled this already but I just want to hear from people who might've experienced this

Long story short - I've been employed in BCN since 2017, my employer has been paying the taxes for me and I kinda assumed that I don't need to do anything (one employer at a time, no extra income, i'm on special tax regime) like in other countries I used to live in. Income >23k a year, resident for tax purposes since 2017. I changed employer once.

For a few reasons, I had to reach out to a tax consultant this year and they made me aware that I should've been filing IRPF annually. I'm shocked that agencia tributaria has never notified me that they're missing tax declaration (expecting much, I know)

I know the fines will be around 75-200 euros per year. If I underpaid tax, then the fine might be 150% of the tax owed. The estimate from accountants are around 200 euros per each yearly tax return. So a lot of money.... I've got all the documents, payslips and online access / clave registered. I wonder how much work it will be for the accountant to sort this kind of thing out? Is agencia tributaria likely to go easy on me?

Does anyone have any advice what to do in this situation? What are the options? Is this kind of thing common? Can you recommend any gestor who wouldn't charge me millions for this?
No experience myself but my first port of call would be a decent tax advisor. The Hacienda don't usually request a tax declaration, I would be worried if I received one

The Hacienda can go back many years if they have sent you a notification (you may not be aware that a notification has been sent but it will be deemed as received). Without notification the limit is 5 years (technically 4 years but practically 5).
Old Oct 11th 2022, 9:13 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

This thread could help...

Tax Issue in Spain
Old Oct 14th 2022, 7:07 am
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

On the hacienda website it says that if you only earn from one employer, earn under 22.000, no other income - then you don't need to make a declaration.

Why are they telling you that you need to ?
Old Oct 16th 2022, 8:43 am
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

Because he earns above €22K.