Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Extremely cheap car hire - too good to be true?

Extremely cheap car hire - too good to be true?

Old Mar 20th 2016, 1:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Extremely cheap car hire - too good to be true?

This is another online broker I have used and got some very good deals with in the past. http://www.booking-centre-online.com/car-rental/car-hire.htm
Old Mar 21st 2016, 5:47 pm
Just Joined

Pivobelly is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for sharing. A quick look at their website suggests they might be a good option for me. Cheers
Old Mar 25th 2016, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

Kentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by billgates
Hi, has anyone experience of this company - https://www.doyouspain.com/

I was quoted for a week in June only 2 euros a day for a small car hired from Malaga airport.
Sure the deposit held on a credit card is high, but with third-party car hire insurance this just sounds too good to be true.

Looking at uk airports the price is ten times that.

Concerned that I might book with these people and then get stung at the point of collection.
And if you don't have a credit card but a debit card?
Old Mar 25th 2016, 11:03 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kentishladd
And if you don't have a credit card but a debit card?
I have recently booked with Firefly via doyouspain. Visa debit cards are accepted but you have to take out their insurance.
Old Mar 25th 2016, 11:25 am
EU hoo

iano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnnyone
I have recently booked with Firefly via doyouspain. Visa debit cards are accepted but you have to take out their insurance.
Have to ? That's changed then, booked Firefly May last year and after declining the 'hard sell' at the check-in desk, the UK waiver excess insurance was accepted.

Have never had a problem with Firefly, having used them 3 times now.
Old Mar 25th 2016, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

Kentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond repute

That's what I've been doing with Goldcar.However, after reading these comments, I wonder if I've approached this wrongly.
I'm not a fan of credit cards, hence the debit card but perhaps I should alter that. If I return a damaged car, and having bought the excess insurance, what happens next, what's the procedure? Does the rental company take the cost from my credit card and I then claim on the insurance?
Old Mar 25th 2016, 12:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iano
Have to ? That's changed then, booked Firefly May last year and after declining the 'hard sell' at the check-in desk, the UK waiver excess insurance was accepted.

Have never had a problem with Firefly, having used them 3 times now.
If you use a credit card you do not have to take out the insurance. I have never had any trouble with Firefly at Valencia airport and use them frequently (via doyouspain)
Old Mar 25th 2016, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Kentishladd
That's what I've been doing with Goldcar.However, after reading these comments, I wonder if I've approached this wrongly.
I'm not a fan of credit cards, hence the debit card but perhaps I should alter that. If I return a damaged car, and having bought the excess insurance, what happens next, what's the procedure? Does the rental company take the cost from my credit card and I then claim on the insurance?
Yes and you claim it from your insurer. I made a claim last year and it was dealt with very easily and quickly by Car Hire Excess Insurance | insurance4carhire.com

I have just renewed for £40 despite making a claim.
Old Mar 25th 2016, 1:03 pm
EU hoo

iano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond repute

If you use a credit card you do not have to take out the insurance.)
Ah, I see what you mean now, thanks.

Also use insurance4carhire.
Old Mar 25th 2016, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

Yes and you claim it from your insurer. I made a claim last year and it was dealt with very easily and quickly by Car Hire Excess Insurance | insurance4carhire.com

I have just renewed for £40 despite making a claim.
Thanks
Old Mar 25th 2016, 6:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

If you use a credit card you do not have to take out the insurance. I have never had any trouble with Firefly at Valencia airport and use them frequently (via doyouspain)
Bit risky though, your credit card will only cover the basic insurance damage waiver and excess (and will also reduce the amount of credit you have for the rest of your holiday spends). It will not cover other damage, eg tyres, glass, locks and keys, underside of the vehicle etc, and if you have provided your CC details it's a bit like a blank check. The independent insurers like insurance4carhire etc do cover all these aspects and IMHO are good value.
Goldcar had one of the worst reputations for rental, insurance and petrol surcharges and ISTR were subject of a TV investigation.
Old Mar 26th 2016, 6:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MikeJ
Bit risky though, your credit card will only cover the basic insurance damage waiver and excess (and will also reduce the amount of credit you have for the rest of your holiday spends). It will not cover other damage, eg tyres, glass, locks and keys, underside of the vehicle etc, and if you have provided your CC details it's a bit like a blank check. The independent insurers like insurance4carhire etc do cover all these aspects and IMHO are good value.
Goldcar had one of the worst reputations for rental, insurance and petrol surcharges and ISTR were subject of a TV investigation.
I do take out insurance as my previous post and would recommend it. As far as I aware the limit of liability is the excess amount and this varies from company to company.
Hotels are as big a risk in this respect as they also,usually, take a swipe of your card just in case you do not pay for any extras.
Old Mar 26th 2016, 7:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond repute

I've lost count of how many times I've booked through doyouspain and I agree with the posts above about that I've never had a problem with them.
They are a broker and before booking I always check the terms and conditions of the company the booking is with. Doyouspain have had a lot of negative comments on TA and to be fair to them the majority of problems are with the actual car rental company, not them.
I've also had the special deals whereby the base rental is something like 5 euros a day, but, as also said, the extras do make it add up. But when I look at a supposedly reputable firm like the big named ones I also see loads of negative comments and it is always more expensive.

You takes your choice and makes your pick. They are all a risk and in my rentals I've only ever had problems with Hertz, Europcar and Avis. Partly because I do my research as regards the T and C's to know what to expect.