Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Excited but apprehensive!

Excited but apprehensive!

Old Jan 9th 2008, 2:15 pm
Banned

Location: What one has not experienced, one will never understand in print
lee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to all
Default Re: Excited but apprehensive!

Originally Posted by trentino
Children, BEHAVE
That was days ago, don`t worry parents have intervened commonsense restored and humor has ceased and we`ve been separated.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

trentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nice

Old Jan 9th 2008, 2:57 pm
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by The Oddities
Econ, I really enjoyed reading your post and agree with you every step of the way.
We wanted to live in an ordinary working town with Spanish people and achieved this and definitely do not regret that decision. No English people, locals do not speak English, no English products unless we travel about 50 kms etc etc.
We do like to do traditional English Christmassy things such as putting Christmas cards in our neighbours doors and we know that they like this too, but other than that we live a very Spanish life here. Our neighbours are delightful and treat us like we really belong, never any nastiness or problems of any sort. We are given loads of carrier bags of oranges and other pruduce throughout the year which we really appreciate and try to do nice things for them too but rarely manage to beat them at the giving game.

This Christmas (our second one here) we had a bottle of red wine and a bottle of cava from one, a golden tray containing a box chocolate dates, coconut pastries and a big bar of chocolate from another and then another neighbour brought a bag of oranges. We were just discussing how generous they all are and I was saying that whilst I am fairly comfortable with taking the produce I would prefer it if they did not go out and spend their money on us when the door bell went once more. OH answered and was greeted by one of the neighbours who instructed him to wait and she gleefully trotted off knocking on several doors. A possie of 5 women approached him, they laughed and chatted and I was called to the door (even though I had flu) they presented us with a huge bouquet of flowers and said it was because we are good neighbours.

The following day I sent my OH off to a house around the corner with a note explaining that as I had the flu we would not be going to the New Year's Eve do with them and he returned with oysters and a lemon to make me feel better!!!!!!!!

As you say it very much depends on what you are looking for when moving to Spain. We were looking for an ordinary quiet life with a little bit of obscurity really and have been met with so much warmth and friendship that we continuously marvel at and value so much that we know it would be very hard to move away from this town.

We have been so lucky.

Rosemary
I have viewed this thread really late and really enjoyed reading yours and Econ's posts...then forwarded to the last posts to see that the usual suspects had hi-jacked the thread and turned it into trivial one liners. Ugh and boring!
I was over for the holidays and joined 24 Spaniards, 11 adults and 13 children for noche vieja in the mountains at Benamahoma. On New Years eve we all drove to the neighbouring pueblo for lunch in the sun with a view of the mountains. After coffee one of our friends started a Spanish Christmas carol, and the others softly joined in. They then asked me to sing an English one, and I did aware of how dull ours are compared the the rhythmic one they had been singing. Then the table across the terrace responded with another and it turned into a magical moment as songs were relayed amongst us all, our group still singing as we left and huddled in the car park not wanting to let the moment go. As we finally drove off we could hear the remaining table still singing..it COULD happen in Britain...maybe in a rural area in a village pub..maybe....hmmm....I like to think so.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 6:39 pm
Banned

lee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by poollounger
then forwarded to the last posts to see that the usual suspects had hi-jacked the thread and turned it into trivial one liners. Ugh and boring!
I apologise.

I`m new to the site, and really hate certain members who use one liners to take the wee, there was a good thread I was involved in on this site, then 10 people all swamped the disscussion for about 10 pages, just because a certain person decided it was boring.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

sarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lee8
I apologise.

I`m new to the site, and really hate certain members who use one liners to take the wee, there was a good thread I was involved in on this site, then 10 people all swamped the disscussion for about 10 pages, just because a certain person decided it was boring.
I am sure you can live with it!
Old Jan 9th 2008, 9:08 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Lee8 is actually agreeing with someone ????
Old Jan 9th 2008, 9:13 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by jdr
Lee8 is actually agreeing with someone ????

People are rarely remembered in life for their positives, humans are experts at homing in on negativity.

Who said therapy was a waste of money.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 9:28 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lee8
People are rarely remembered in life for their positives, humans are experts at homing in on negativity.

Who said therapy was a waste of money.
Lol...
Old Jan 9th 2008, 9:58 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poollounger
I have viewed this thread really late and really enjoyed reading yours and Econ's posts...then forwarded to the last posts to see that the usual suspects had hi-jacked the thread and turned it into trivial one liners. Ugh and boring!
I was over for the holidays and joined 24 Spaniards, 11 adults and 13 children for noche vieja in the mountains at Benamahoma. On New Years eve we all drove to the neighbouring pueblo for lunch in the sun with a view of the mountains. After coffee one of our friends started a Spanish Christmas carol, and the others softly joined in. They then asked me to sing an English one, and I did aware of how dull ours are compared the the rhythmic one they had been singing. Then the table across the terrace responded with another and it turned into a magical moment as songs were relayed amongst us all, our group still singing as we left and huddled in the car park not wanting to let the moment go. As we finally drove off we could hear the remaining table still singing..it COULD happen in Britain...maybe in a rural area in a village pub..maybe....hmmm....I like to think so.

What a lovely experience for you. This sort of sharing and spontaneous events are great to behold and are free to all and leaves you with a warm glow. Fortunately the Spanish people have not forgotten how to enjoy themselves doing simple things and are very generous to others with the way that they are so inclusive.

Rosemary
Old Jan 12th 2008, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

trentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nice

For goodness sake, this is about Kitty moving here, Bunny has already moved and I am hoping to in the summer. I have never heard such negative crap in all my life. Life is what you make it and some of us are hoping to make it in Spain, yes all countries have their ups and down, I have lived in quite a few. Rosemary it sounds like life is great for you and I hope will be for the rest of us who are hoping to move. Lets face it, if you dont like it,move on. :curse: I have just come back from a rushed 36 hours looking at schools and plots, im full of enthusiasm, dont keep dampening it chaps!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jan 12th 2008, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

happybunny has a brilliant futurehappybunny has a brilliant futurehappybunny has a brilliant futurehappybunny has a brilliant futurehappybunny has a brilliant futurehappybunny has a brilliant futurehappybunny has a brilliant future

For goodness sake, this is about Kitty moving here, Bunny has already moved and I am hoping to in the summer. I have never heard such negative crap in all my life. Life is what you make it and some of us are hoping to make it in Spain, yes all countries have their ups and down, I have lived in quite a few. Rosemary it sounds like life is great for you and I hope will be for the rest of us who are hoping to move. Lets face it, if you dont like it,move on. :curse: I have just come back from a rushed 36 hours looking at schools and plots, im full of enthusiasm, dont keep dampening it chaps!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well i couldnt have put it better myself. We move to spain on the 27th December

Last edited by happybunny; Jan 12th 2008 at 6:18 pm. Reason: changing typed in capital letters
Old Jan 12th 2008, 7:30 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Yes Trentino I am very content with my very ordinary life in Spain.

How you are accepted and how you fit into the lives of people around you is very dependent on your personality. Regardless of what country you choose to live in you have to give off positive vibes if you want people to react in a positive manner towards you. With the right attitude you will find the Spanish people very warm, helpful, friendly and welcoming so you should all be able to settle in very well. If you rebuff the Spanish people in any way they will assume that you do not want them to speak to you and they will avoid you.

Personally I think that the only negative things that you will find is the nightmare of the bureacracy and once you have dealt with that you will mainly meet positivity.

Good Luck to you all.

Rosemary
Old Jan 12th 2008, 7:32 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Oddities
. Regardless of what country you choose to live in you have to give off positive vibes if you want people to react in a positive manner towards you. With the right attitude you will find the Spanish people very warm, helpful, friendly and welcoming so you should all be able to settle in very well. If you rebuff the Spanish people in any way they will assume that you do not want them to speak to you and they will avoid you.

Could you tell Lee8 that Rosemary
Old Jan 12th 2008, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Could you tell Lee8 that Rosemary
Sorry Mitzy but I will not waste my time on lost causes.

Rosemary
Old Jan 12th 2008, 10:30 pm
Banned

I`ll point out for the hard of hearing what you should have realised by know from me.

Spain is a great place to retire too.(But there is better, sorry I can`t help it)

Spain is a crap hole to work in.

Know can we please move on, all this positivity is making me ill.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.