Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Excited but apprehensive!

Excited but apprehensive!

Old Dec 30th 2007, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

HereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really nice
Default Excited but apprehensive!

well as 2007 draws to a close, I am trying to make the most of the rest of the holidays this coming week before it all goes mad! Will be putting our house on the market February, but prior to that helping eldest do some work on his Flat he gets 11th Jan. We also have to do bits and pieces like touching up paintwork and clearing the garden in our own house.
Sometimes I think this is going to be mega stresful! Moving house in the past was bad enough...but moving to a new Country and putting Son into a foreign School....removals.....pets.....I just struggle to get my head round it all at times.
I have read a lot of threads on this Forum, many which quite rightly point out the negatives of living in Spain, however, I would be SO grateful for any feel-good stories of those whom have made the move and enjoy it. I really need some severe gee-ing up!
Now for another glass of wine
Old Dec 30th 2007, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

happybunny has a brilliant futurehappybunny has a brilliant futurehappybunny has a brilliant futurehappybunny has a brilliant futurehappybunny has a brilliant futurehappybunny has a brilliant futurehappybunny has a brilliant future
Smile Re: Excited but apprehensive!

Good luck with your move, I just arrived yesterday. So will let you know how we get on
Old Dec 31st 2007, 7:43 am
Very Old Member!

ScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud of
Default Re: Excited but apprehensive!

Hi KityyKitty,

You don't need any gee-ing up, you are doing the right thing with your planning for your move well in advance. There are lots and lots of negative posts on all the Expat Forums here in Spain, but think - those who have settled here with families, jobs and yes even pets are busy getting on with their lives. Those who are struggling drip about it all over the expat Forums............and talk about going back

Life is what you make of it, nothing is ever simple at first in any adventure, but thousands and thousands of Brits DO make Spain their home and never look back. Sure the paperwork and queues will cause frustration at first but you will 'get your head round it'. Your boy will settle into his new school, pick up the language, and make some great friends. Decent jobs are hard to find, just as in UK, but they are here. Work on the language when you have time - most locals appreciate even hopeless attempts at Spanish and will help, make lists of things to do before leaving UK, and on arrival in Spain, using the positive advice on these Forums and keep updating them. Watch 'advice' from Brits when you get out here, there are many sharks who prey on newbies, but there are some great guys and girls who have been through it and will help you, just watch who you pass hard cash to! Rely on you native Scottish intuition, it worked for me when I first arrived..........

I really hope it all works out for you. All the best for a great 2008.

Jock

Last edited by ScotinSpain; Dec 31st 2007 at 7:45 am.
Old Dec 31st 2007, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

HereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really nice

Happybunny, hope everything goes well, good luck and do let us know how you are doing!

Jock, thanks for your lovely reply. You are right in what you say, I know that deep down. Think I am just having a bit of a hissy fit not helped by the fact a certain person is permanently attached to the TV controls and a can of beer It the holidays so I am told! Everything will fall into place I am sure!
Old Dec 31st 2007, 8:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

twyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HereKittyKitty
well as 2007 draws to a close, I am trying to make the most of the rest of the holidays this coming week before it all goes mad! Will be putting our house on the market February, but prior to that helping eldest do some work on his Flat he gets 11th Jan. We also have to do bits and pieces like touching up paintwork and clearing the garden in our own house.
Sometimes I think this is going to be mega stresful! Moving house in the past was bad enough...but moving to a new Country and putting Son into a foreign School....removals.....pets.....I just struggle to get my head round it all at times.
I have read a lot of threads on this Forum, many which quite rightly point out the negatives of living in Spain, however, I would be SO grateful for any feel-good stories of those whom have made the move and enjoy it. I really need some severe gee-ing up!
Now for another glass of wine
Oh yes, the "it seemed like a really good idea at the time but now we're not so sure" syndrome! It's perfectly normal, and it 'peaks' about 1 week before the move...!

We've been here exactly four months today. Those four months have been a challenge, it's been hard work, it's been exhausting at times - but nothing compared to the packing before the move!

At no time have we ever looked back. I'm not saying we won't - we're probably still in the honeymoon period - but thoroughly enjoying things all the same.

We live our lives differently in Spain. The timing of the school day and the fact we're an hour ahead of the UK means I can start and finish work sooner and we get to spend more time together as a family. We go out more because it's cheaper and because children are welcomed at restaurants. We laugh more, but I don't know why that is... maybe it's because when I look out across the mountains and that strange yellow disk in the sky I just have to pinch myself...!

Friends back in the UK were surprised that we 'weren't coming home for Christmas'. The answer is simple... we ARE home.

Life is a journey - not the destination. There is no point looking back wishing for what might have been. Carpe Diem!
Old Jan 1st 2008, 10:19 am
Forum Regular

Hi Twyntub
Glad to hear you are enjoying your new life in Spain. Some good points you made there!
I feel more postitive today than I ever have...maybe it's because we are into a New Year?
Old Jan 1st 2008, 11:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Econ has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HereKittyKitty
Spain is a great place to live, not without it's problems but then everywhere has problems, they are generally just different from place or country to country.

You don't say where you are moving to! Spain can be very different from one area to another, from the coast to the inland, from one province to another, different rules, different weather, different personalities and even different languages, people who might be able to settle in Barcelona might detest Malaga or vice versa. I would think if you are moving to Spain you know the area you will be moving to, have done some research and feel you all like that area, so this being the case you will be off to a good start.

Generally many people come to Spain and then evolve around communities of their own Nationality, some mix and accept the locals and others don't, I personnally think the ones that mix and get on with the locals will have more chance of enjoying life here... just look at the communities in the UK where immigrants come in and then move into areas that are basically little Indias or Chinas. If you do not come here expecting to be coming to little Britian in the sun then you will be off to a great start at having a great life here, many of the people who come here thinking that they are in little Britian in the sun either don't end up staying very long or 'just don't find what they are looking for', so it is important to not think that.

The Spanish people and the way things are done here are very different from where you will be coming from, everything 'or most' of the things you take for granted as a breeze in the UK can be a lot more complicated here 'there are a lot of things that are simpler too' , you will find that most of these things are of course in another language which can make a 2 minute process take hours or even days for some of those who do not speak the language. Many simple things are never thought of before they come but are really very obvious, and can get people down. Mixing with the locals, embracing their culture and learning the language will make your life here much better and give you a good understanding of the Spanish people... at least those from your area. The Spanish generally have a totally different outlook to life than many northern Europeans, 'there are many different reasons for this'. How ever relaxed and laid back they are you need to accept: no matter how ever many times you are told a time they will be here or that something is fine and find out it isn't you need to accept that this is how things generally are here. I banged my head off a wall for the first few years I worked here in the early 80's until it sunk in that I could not change what the whole past history of Spain and the Spaniards had as a way of life since year dot, once I realised that it made a big difference... I just had to learn how to deal with it, you need to sit on people 'in a very nice way' until they do what they have been asked to do, this goes for lawers, builders, banks, garages, everything basically. Whatever it is try and do it with a smile and a little humor 'the smile will work wonders once you learn some Spanish and will help a lot even if you don't' as this will get you very much further then a grumpy face and threats, if you want something to be done you need to understand that you just need to keep contacting the person or company... in some cases until they do the thing just so you stop calling!

You will hear many here say this and that, but many of them will not be in a similer situation as you, many here are retired people who do not have to deal with everything thing you will need to deal with, life here for you will be very different than life here for them, children at school, probably working here, dealing with the upbringing of a family in a foreign country, you will have to deal with many more things than they ever had to deal with but there are people here that have been in the situation as yourself and I am sure can give you advice for making things simpler, it might help to give them some idea of what area you are going to, this will probably also stimulate others from that area who have been in your situation to answer your post!

I remember being in the post office and hearing an English lady get very irate, she turned round to the people behind here and said... 'this guy is so stupid, he just doesn't understand I want to send a first class letter!' , this lady was obviously not the type of person who would have a very happy life in Spain... and she being the stupid one! This type of behaviour will not make this lady many friends with the locals, will make life more difficult for her and I doubt she would have stayed long as no one could have that attitude and enjoy their life here. A little cheap translation book and it would have made things simpler and probably a lot more enjoyable... and helped her learn what to ask for the next time!

If you understand the above you will be off on the right foot and I am sure will settle in just fine. I know many people and families who have settled in 100% here, fully integrated and very very happy with their life in Spain, they came with young kids and I hear them say all the time... we would never go back to the UK.

Personally I came to Spain as a single bloke when people didn't want to know the place, probably because there was no Sky TV, very few locals spoke any English and there where very few British bars or products (and land was only a few pennies a metre back in those days!), things have changed a lot since then! I think Spain is no where near the country it was before entering what is now the EEA 'or have they changed the name again?' but the changes I don't like, you probably will.

You have taken the decision and you want to do it so sit back and relax 'even though it will be hard to, you will need to learn to in Spain', enjoy the adventure.

Good luck with you new way of life.
Old Jan 1st 2008, 12:11 pm
Eve
BE Enthusiast

Eve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud ofEve has much to be proud of

Wow, some reading there, Good luck to you all that are in the process of moving, happy new year and best wishes for your new lives, stay pisitive and go with your feelings not otheres!
Luv Eve
xx
Old Jan 1st 2008, 2:38 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Econ, I really enjoyed reading your post and agree with you every step of the way.

We wanted to live in an ordinary working town with Spanish people and achieved this and definitely do not regret that decision. No English people, locals do not speak English, no English products unless we travel about 50 kms etc etc.

We do like to do traditional English Christmassy things such as putting Christmas cards in our neighbours doors and we know that they like this too, but other than that we live a very Spanish life here. Our neighbours are delightful and treat us like we really belong, never any nastiness or problems of any sort. We are given loads of carrier bags of oranges and other pruduce throughout the year which we really appreciate and try to do nice things for them too but rarely manage to beat them at the giving game.

This Christmas (our second one here) we had a bottle of red wine and a bottle of cava from one, a golden tray containing a box chocolate dates, coconut pastries and a big bar of chocolate from another and then another neighbour brought a bag of oranges. We were just discussing how generous they all are and I was saying that whilst I am fairly comfortable with taking the produce I would prefer it if they did not go out and spend their money on us when the door bell went once more. OH answered and was greeted by one of the neighbours who instructed him to wait and she gleefully trotted off knocking on several doors. A possie of 5 women approached him, they laughed and chatted and I was called to the door (even though I had flu) they presented us with a huge bouquet of flowers and said it was because we are good neighbours.

The following day I sent my OH off to a house around the corner with a note explaining that as I had the flu we would not be going to the New Year's Eve do with them and he returned with oysters and a lemon to make me feel better!!!!!!!!

As you say it very much depends on what you are looking for when moving to Spain. We were looking for an ordinary quiet life with a little bit of obscurity really and have been met with so much warmth and friendship that we continuously marvel at and value so much that we know it would be very hard to move away from this town.

We have been so lucky.

Rosemary
Old Jan 1st 2008, 4:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Econ has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Oddities
We were just discussing how generous they all are and I was saying that whilst I am fairly comfortable with taking the produce I would prefer it if they did not go out and spend their money on us when the door bell went once more.
Yes they are generally a very generous people, they like to help others and will find it offensive if their gifts are turned down. This is a great oppertunity to get to know the people and invite them in for a beer or cool drink... newcomers here though be careful... as they will probably be very disappointed if you offer them a coffee and it turns out to be a mug of Nescafe, most Spanish I know think it is disgusting stuff.
Old Jan 1st 2008, 6:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

twyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Oddities
We are given loads of carrier bags of oranges and other pruduce throughout the year which we really appreciate and try to do nice things for them too but rarely manage to beat them at the giving game.
Tell me about it. When I first arrived, 11pm one night, tired after the long drive from Santander in a Luton van complete with puppy and five year old daughter, we met a 'welcoming committee' consisting of all of our Spanish neighbours preparing for the big fiesta the following night.

I shook the hand of our next door neighbour, and he was delighted that I had a daughter. When he discovered that I also had a son the same age as his grandson he became very excited. When he discovered that our kids were going into Spanish state school, we were dragged screaming and kicking into their house for hot milk and cakes!!!

Ever since then, the presents haven't stopped. Every time Mrs Twyntub dares to put the washing out, it's a 50/50 chance that she'll come back with a bag of some unrecognisable local vegetable or fruit that we have to find on Google before we know how to cook / eat it!

We've had everything given to us from cakes to shoes, we managed to draw the line when we saw our neighbour gathering snails, though! All gifts are definately appreciated, especially considering the sentiment they come with.
Old Jan 1st 2008, 6:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by twyntub
we managed to draw the line when we saw our neighbour gathering snails, though! All gifts are definately appreciated, especially considering the sentiment they come with.

They are actually really nice if cooked with garlic and butter as the French do but to be honest, I have never really liked how they cook them here so I have to agree with you.... but honestly, try them with garlic and butter, they are nothing like what you imagine them to be like, texture or taste!
Old Jan 1st 2008, 6:37 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Econ
Yes they are generally a very generous people, they like to help others and will find it offensive if their gifts are turned down. This is a great oppertunity to get to know the people and invite them in for a beer or cool drink... newcomers here though be careful... as they will probably be very disappointed if you offer them a coffee and it turns out to be a mug of Nescafe, most Spanish I know think it is disgusting stuff.
I used to drink nescafe all the time in the UK, but now it tastes like dishwater.
We are now on our 5th coffee machine, her indoors is a bit heavy handed. lol
Old Jan 1st 2008, 7:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jdr
I used to drink nescafe all the time in the UK, but now it tastes like dishwater.
We are now on our 5th coffee machine, her indoors is a bit heavy handed. lol

If you have adapted to 'real' coffee then I am sure you will have discovered 'Carajillos'.. if you haven't then you have to ask for one the next time you are in a cafe, really nice after a meal

A small black coffee. a little sugar and a splash of brandy... but be careful as they can be addictive! ... you don't want to have to buy yet another coffee machine
Old Jan 1st 2008, 7:22 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Econ

If you have adapted to 'real' coffee then I am sure you will have discovered 'Carajillos'.. if you haven't then you have to ask for one the next time you are in a cafe, really nice after a meal

A small black coffee. a little sugar and a splash of brandy... but be careful as they can be addictive! ... you don't want to have to buy yet another coffee machine
Yeah, I have tried a couple or three. ;-))

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.