Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Ex-Pat Getting a UK Personal Loan

Ex-Pat Getting a UK Personal Loan

Old Oct 12th 2010, 9:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ex-Pat Getting a UK Personal Loan

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Why not just call the bank and ask
I did, and as I said the answer was no.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 10:05 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Oh sorry, I missed that
Old Oct 12th 2010, 11:19 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

What about trying a bit of subtle blackmail? Tell your bank that said No that you want to transfer your account to another bank that will say Yes. You’ve got nothing to lose, the No bank will lose a customer, and if the new bank also say No, it will make no difference.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 11:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
What about trying a bit of subtle blackmail? Tell your bank that said No that you want to transfer your account to another bank that will say Yes. You’ve got nothing to lose, the No bank will lose a customer, and if the new bank also say No, it will make no difference.
The trouble is I could shoot myself in the foot if they say okay I am then left with no UK bank account!!

I could apply using my daughter´s address as that is where I have my

credit card but I am reluctant to do so.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 7:01 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG

I don't think she will be able to open a UK account at a new UK bank if she is Spanish resident.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

Lis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by HBG
You need proof of address to open a new bank account even if you use your daughter´s address so transferring your account is not an option if you are a non-resident.
Can your daughter not apply for a loan with her bank and then give it to you?
Old Oct 12th 2010, 7:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by scampicat
I don't think she will be able to open a UK account at a new UK bank if she is Spanish resident.
Exactly believe me I would if I could.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 7:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Lis48
You need proof of address to open a new bank account even if you use your daughter´s address so transferring your account is not an option if you are a non-resident.
Can your daughter not apply for a loan with her bank and then give it to you?
Normally she would but she has had to return to the UK and take out a loan for herself.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

Lis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to allLis48 is a name known to all

Some possible other avenues:
1) Contact one of the building societies ( Leeds, Newcastle etc.) in Gibraltar. You will have proof of address for Southern Spain so you can open an account so may also be able to get a loan. No language/currency probs.
2) If your house in the UK is still with a mortgage, your provider might offer a home-owners´ loan especially if it is a provider also based in Gibraltar.
3) You say it´s for building work in the UK. Have you asked the company doing the building for staggered payments, after all they will want the work?
4) Contact your pension providers. Sometimes they can offer a lump sum and reduced pension payments.

Last edited by Lis48; Oct 12th 2010 at 7:28 pm.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 7:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

1) Contact one of the building societies ( Leeds, Newcastle etc.) in Gibraltar. You will have proof of address for Southern Spain so you can open an account so may also be able to get a loan. No language/currency probs.
2) If your house in the UK is still with a mortgage, your provider might offer a home-owners´ loan especially if it is a provider also based in Gibraltar.
3) You say it´s for building work in the UK. Have you asked the company doing the building for staggered payments, after all they will want the work?
4) Contact your pension providers. Sometimes they can offer a lump sum and reduced pension payments.
No mortgage. Property owned outright.

Private individual doing the work not a big company so he wouldn´t be interested.

Need my pension monthly payments.

Contacting the building societys in Gib is a good idea though.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Lis I contacted NatWest in Gib and you have to work or live there. The building societies there don´t loan only investments.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 1:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
Lis I contacted NatWest in Gib and you have to work or live there. The building societies there don´t loan only investments.
Sorry. I can´t think of anything else
Have you got any rich friends?????
Old Oct 13th 2010, 1:44 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

What about taking out a small mortgage on the paid for property in the UK? You could try John Charcol, the mortgage brokers online, or a phone call might be best.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 4:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sorry. I can´t think of anything else
Have you got any rich friends?????
Lis, my brother but he is a tight a***. Did think about a small mortgage but I would think the same thing would apply about being a Spanish resident. I have an appointment on Friday to see my local bank manager so will see what she says.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 5:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

olivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really nice

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
Lis, my brother but he is a tight a***. Did think about a small mortgage but I would think the same thing would apply about being a Spanish resident. I have an appointment on Friday to see my local bank manager so will see what she says.
Equity release might be the answer for you. You can take up to 40% of your property value. I think there could be a lower age limit perhaps 55 or 60. Saga give advice on this on their website.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.