Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Ex-Pat Getting a UK Personal Loan

Ex-Pat Getting a UK Personal Loan

Old Oct 11th 2010, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ex-Pat Getting a UK Personal Loan

I am looking to get a personal loan for some building work in the UK of say 5k. Lived abroad for 6 years but own property in the UK and have UK pensions. How difficult would it be to get a loan? Has anyone done it?
Old Oct 11th 2010, 12:56 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ex-Pat Getting a UK Personal Loan

Taking the exchange rate into account, would you not be better off getting the loan here in Spain and changing it into pounds in the UK?
Old Oct 11th 2010, 12:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
Taking the exchange rate into account, would you not be better off getting the loan here in Spain and changing it into pounds in the UK?
I don´t know I have no experience of that or what interest rates would be here.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 1:21 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I have no recent experience of it either, but I know that the local bank manager here in Spain has the power to set the interest rates according to the customer’s needs, it’s far more flexible than in the UK. If you know him, he might be amenable to talk over lunch.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 4:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
I am looking to get a personal loan for some building work in the UK of say 5k. Lived abroad for 6 years but own property in the UK and have UK pensions. How difficult would it be to get a loan? Has anyone done it?
I have a UK Bank account, a place in the UK to which my bank information is sent, various UK pensions and have no problem in getting loans from my UK bank.

I make no attempt to hide the fact that I have a place in Spain, spend half a year here and indeed transfer money to my bank in Spain from the one in UK. I am with Lloyds. Took out a loan in the Summer.

Jim
Old Oct 11th 2010, 4:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bigger Jim
I have a UK Bank account, a place in the UK to which my bank information is sent, various UK pensions and have no problem in getting loans from my UK bank.

I make no attempt to hide the fact that I have a place in Spain, spend half a year here and indeed transfer money to my bank in Spain from the one in UK. I am with Lloyds. Took out a loan in the Summer.

Jim
Jim, it is Lloyds whom I have the account with. Do you live half the year in the UK?
Old Oct 11th 2010, 5:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Personally if I wanted a sterling loan and my income ( pension ) was sterling I would opt for a UK bank loan.

Saves any messy exchange fluctuations.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 5:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Personally if I wanted a sterling loan and my income ( pension ) was sterling I would opt for a UK bank loan.

Saves any messy exchange fluctuations.
I would but can´t find anyone who will give me one even though I have UK assets, pay UK tax and have UK income oh and a UK bank account!
Old Oct 12th 2010, 3:39 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

I do not think you will get a Bank Loan if you are not UK resident, no matter what assets you have in the UK, nor what tax you pay, I think it is residency that is the key.

Do you have a UK Credit Card with enough credit limit on it? Maybe you could use that.

Otherwise try for a Spanish bank loan as mentioned above.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 6:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Bigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
Jim, it is Lloyds whom I have the account with. Do you live half the year in the UK?
Yes I do live here for 6 months and have my pensions paid into Lloyds.

I have been with them for a long time and if I want a loan they just ask how much. If I want money transferred to Spain I normally get them to do it and accordingly just assume they are completely au fait with my situation.

I dont volunteer information and they don't ask.

Jim
Old Oct 12th 2010, 7:05 am
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

I think what a previous poster means is. do you have UK address? or if it is a Spanish one then I am pretty sure you wont get loan in UK.

If you read what they tend to have on web site it says you have to be UK resident.
Good idea though re credit card if you have enough on it.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 7:07 am
BE Enthusiast

When I left the Service I went on a resettlement course and one of the things they stressed was track record if you wished to borrow money. To develop that they suggested we borrow money from the bank, pay it back and repeat the process until you had a reasonable track record of borrowing and paying back.

I would have thought they would be reasonably sympathetic if you stressed that the loan was to pay for repairs to property in the UK.

Jim
Old Oct 12th 2010, 8:35 am
BE Enthusiast

You might Google "Money Saving Expert" for advice

Jim
Old Oct 12th 2010, 9:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bigger Jim
Yes I do live here for 6 months and have my pensions paid into Lloyds.

I have been with them for a long time and if I want a loan they just ask how much. If I want money transferred to Spain I normally get them to do it and accordingly just assume they are completely au fait with my situation.

I dont volunteer information and they don't ask.

Jim
30 years with Lloyds! In fact you can see the property from the bank.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 9:52 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Why not just call the bank and ask

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.