Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

European Property Owners Day

European Property Owners Day

Old Dec 6th 2009, 8:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: European Property Owners Day

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
How do you count these figures? per head of population or per sq km or a percentage of GDP? No good quoting something that does not mean a great deal.
It means exactly what it says. "Second highest contribution" ie the money the UK pays. If I meant per head of population, per sq km, per number of cattle (well you started being silly with sq kms) that's what I would have written, but I'm simply referring to the total amount UK pays even after the rebate. Not difficult to follow, is it?

Even taking into account the rebate, the UK is one of the largest net contributors to the EU budget.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8036802.stm
Old Dec 6th 2009, 9:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Lenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond repute

Well done the UK, Holland and Mrs Thatcher.
The problem - under discussion here - is that many thousands of Europeans who have come here (to this bit of Europe) to settle peacefully have found that they have got into a situation they neither expected, knew about or of course deserved.
For Spain, its obviously a dreary case of power squabbling, but much more importantly, its also a case of losing a large amount of potential foreign investment and a number of jobs.
Of course, not in the Cities. Retired foreigners rarely end up living in the cities.
I think its a shame that Spain should have not only wrung the neck of the Golden Goose, but that it should have done so in such a public way.
Old Dec 6th 2009, 3:38 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lenox
Well done the UK, Holland and Mrs Thatcher.
The problem - under discussion here - is that many thousands of Europeans who have come here (to this bit of Europe) to settle peacefully have found that they have got into a situation they neither expected, knew about or of course deserved.
For Spain, its obviously a dreary case of power squabbling, but much more importantly, its also a case of losing a large amount of potential foreign investment and a number of jobs.
Of course, not in the Cities. Retired foreigners rarely end up living in the cities.
I think its a shame that Spain should have not only wrung the neck of the Golden Goose, but that it should have done so in such a public way.
Lenox,
This housing matter in Spain does not just affect the foreigners. So if you want your cause to strengthen then get the Spanish involved too.
Old Dec 6th 2009, 8:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond repute

I see some coverage of Spanish homes knocked down - on the telly or in the press. The fishermen's village in Tenerife, some homes in Galicia or even the odd one in Marbella.
Usually the right-wing press will give cover if it is an embarasment to the left - or vice versa.
Never read a word about the tens of thousands of illegal homes in Andalucía, the hundreds in Murcia and the thousands in Alicante. Never read a favourable word about the 'Auken Report' (which heavily criticised the Valencian land-grab in Brussels - against the joint indignation of the PP and the PSOE). Never read anything about the Priors house knocked down two years ago - or the homes in Cantoria, or the loss of income and jobs. Never seen 'Paradise Lost' - not even an excerpt - on Spanish TV (trans into Spanish on YouTube here). Never read about our demonstration January 9th last year in downtown Almeria - when several hundred Brits... in carpet slippers... interrupted traffic for a couple of hours.
The Spanish in Vera demonstarted along with the Brits against the demolition of the Priors house two years ago (demonstrated against the Junta de Andalucía really - Vera is run by an independent party). No, never read about that either.
C'mon - let's wake these politicians and their crappy newspapers up!! It's the spanish economy that is being shredded here (along with its reputation abroad).
During the elections in Zimbabwe, when Mugabe was fighting for his political life (and murdering all the opposition), the Priors demolition in Spain made the Zim TV. Also featured in Australia on their TV, and in Norway. I was interviewed by the BBC World service and later got calls from friends in Miami and Boston both.
Not here though.
I know this is just the rant of a few people on a forum. But this situation has to change.
Old Dec 16th 2009, 9:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Meanwhile... this comes from another forum (a popular one from the Almanzora Valley) and is now doing the rounds.

Hi Guys,
not sure whether we can do anything with this, I have the victims permission (a member of the AUAN) to reproduce it:

I just wanted to get this off my chest before Christmas so that it isn't spoiled.
The answer is pretty obvious as to why I am fed up with Spain:
Fed up with paying a mortgage (which we shouldn't have been given) on our illegal property.
Fed up with our developer living off our money, having knowingly defrauded us and with no hope of getting it back.
Fed up with not being able to get back on the property ladder here due to above.
Fed up with being stuck in a legal loophole...escritura yes, LFO...no!
Fed up with being blamed by Spanish politicians for their endemic social, political and economic corruption which they seem unable and unwilling to solve.
Fed up with the possibility that Spain is going to be a bottomless pit for my money for many years to come...unless by some minor miracle I win the lottery and stick my fingers up to Spain and all things Spanish.
Fed up with being told by people that we shouldn't expect Spain to do things in the same way as the UK and when taking this into account by doing things the "Spanish way" (that you are told to by people who supposedly know the right/usual way to do things) you find that you have unwittingly done things wrong, because you have been advised by fraudsters who have given this advice for their own gain and not in your best interests.
Fed up with having a house I can't sell, rent or live in.
Fed up that I have this situation hanging over me and my family like the sword of Damocles.
Fed up with feeling powerless against the reality that the local Spanish politicians will try to appease the local Spanish people (businessmen) first and not consider justice, morality or common sense in the whole property problem.

Dan T