Pensions

Old Dec 14th 2009, 4:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

SueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Pensions

I understand that to receive my old age pension from England I have had to have paid into the system for 30 years - I am now 55 and have been here 3 years in January. I had always paid a full stamp since the age of 17. My question is now that I am working in Spain do I also receive a pension from the Spanish government? I have been told that I have to work for 15 years here to claim anything from Spain. As we are in the EU do they not merge all your working life??

Also if for any reason we had to return to the UK i.e. if we lost our jobs here would we be entitled to claim unemployment benefit straight away as we were working in the EU.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pensions

This may be useful to you.

hile many British residents in Spain are in receipt of, or have entitlement to, a UK pension, far fewer expats claim a Spanish pension. This is because, as we all know, you need to have worked 15 years in Spain to have entitlement to a pension…right? Wrong! If you have worked for one year or more in Spain, and you have worked a total of 15 years across the UK and Spain or any other EEA country, you may be entitled to a pro rata pension. For more information, ask in your INSS (Instituto Nacional de Seguridad Social) office as this is where you will need to apply for your pension, giving details of your entire working life.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 6:03 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely right - not a lot of people know that!

Lots more info at http://ec.europa.eu/employment_socia...s%20of%20cover
Old Dec 14th 2009, 6:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

SueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you both - thought I was being spun a yarn!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Dec 15th 2009, 7:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Can anyone please answer the second part of the question about unemployment benefit? Thanks
Old Dec 15th 2009, 8:01 am
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sue

You should be able to claim unemployment benefit in Spain if you lose your jobs. Then on returning to the UK the payments will continue for a while, can't say how long, but obviously you won't be able to claim in the UK until those benefits finish. As far as I know you don't have to 'sign on' the same as you do in England. (maybe someone else can elaborate more fully on this) My daughters fiance has done that as he has been working in Spain for 13 years and the bar he was working in closed so his boss went with him and sorted out the unemployment benefit. It is paid directly into your bank. Hope that helps a little.

Take a look here http://www.gateway.gov.uk/Default.aspx for your UK Government pension forecast.

Last edited by Lionda; Dec 15th 2009 at 8:06 am. Reason: Added link
Old Dec 15th 2009, 9:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Lionda
Hi Sue

You should be able to claim unemployment benefit in Spain if you lose your jobs. Then on returning to the UK the payments will continue for a while, can't say how long, but obviously you won't be able to claim in the UK until those benefits finish. As far as I know you don't have to 'sign on' the same as you do in England. (maybe someone else can elaborate more fully on this) My daughters fiance has done that as he has been working in Spain for 13 years and the bar he was working in closed so his boss went with him and sorted out the unemployment benefit. It is paid directly into your bank. Hope that helps a little.

Take a look here http://www.gateway.gov.uk/Default.aspx for your UK Government pension forecast.
Thanks Lin - just thinking out loud - if we lose our jobs here we will return to England anyway and would want to claim from there.
Old Dec 15th 2009, 9:48 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SueG
Thanks Lin - just thinking out loud - if we lose our jobs here we will return to England anyway and would want to claim from there.
Isn't there a 3 month 'cooling off' period before you get any benefits?
Old Dec 15th 2009, 4:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

Also if for any reason we had to return to the UK i.e. if we lost our jobs here would we be entitled to claim unemployment benefit straight away as we were working in the EU.
Very confusing subject but it's possible you may have to look into HRT (Habitual Residence Test) and the Right to reside test.
I can't make head nor tail of it but it does mention UK citizens returning from another EU country.
Whether this applies to you I have no idea but thought it worth a mention.
Old Dec 15th 2009, 4:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by snikpoh
That's what I am asking - if in full time work in Spain and then lose jobs we will be able to claim unemployment benefit in England should we return as we have been working in a EU member state??
Old Dec 15th 2009, 7:15 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Originally Posted by twistedmelon
Very confusing subject but it's possible you may have to look into HRT (Habitual Residence Test) and the Right to reside test.
I can't make head nor tail of it but it does mention UK citizens returning from another EU country.
Whether this applies to you I have no idea but thought it worth a mention.
That's what I am asking - if in full time work in Spain and then lose jobs we will be able to claim unemployment benefit in England should we return as we have been working in a EU member state??
Ok...here is how it goes.... You have to fill in forms and questions are asked as to when you left the uk and when you returned. You have, in effect, to prove that you are 'habitually resident in the uk' Benefits can be suspended for between 1 to 3 months. I answered all questions that I was born in the UK have family in the UK and am a UK citizen. No problem. It really isn't a big worry.

Good luck Sue, I know how happy you have been in Spain and don't really want to return to the Uk so I hope all works out ok for you. You are a very clever woman though and I am sure that staying or returning you will not have any problems. Glad we met while we were there - and say hi to OH
Old Dec 16th 2009, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

"Good luck Sue, I know how happy you have been in Spain and don't really want to return to the Uk so I hope all works out ok for you"

Just thinking out loud - nothing untowards happening - but you know me I like to know the ins and out just in case. Ian is now working for a local radio station doing their admin so we are both keeping busy. xx
Old Dec 16th 2009, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

DWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to all

The answer is no. You will have to claim from Spain because that is the last place you worked and therefore Spain is the competent state. What you will need to do beforehand is get an E301 form from the UK which shows the national insurance contributions you paid there for unemployment purposes. Present this with your application for Unemployment Benefit in Spain. Although it depends on your salary, Unemployment Benefit in Spain tends to be higher than in the UK and can last for up to two years. After it finishes, you will be able to apply for what is called the 'Subsidio', a form of income support. As you are over 52, you will then be able to apply for what is called the over-52s subsidio.

If you want to return to the UK you must be in receipt of Spanish unemployment benefit for at least four weeks before you can take it with you. You will have to apply at the INEM office in advance of leaving. When it's approved, they will give you form E303 which you take to your local job centre within 7 days of arriving in the UK. Tell them you want to claim Spanish Unemployment Benefit.
Old Dec 16th 2009, 12:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DWPinSpain
The answer is no. You will have to claim from Spain because that is the last place you worked and therefore Spain is the competent state. What you will need to do beforehand is get an E301 form from the UK which shows the national insurance contributions you paid there for unemployment purposes. Present this with your application for Unemployment Benefit in Spain. Although it depends on your salary, Unemployment Benefit in Spain tends to be higher than in the UK and can last for up to two years. After it finishes, you will be able to apply for what is called the 'Subsidio', a form of income support. As you are over 52, you will then be able to apply for what is called the over-52s subsidio.

If you want to return to the UK you must be in receipt of Spanish unemployment benefit for at least four weeks before you can take it with you. You will have to apply at the INEM office in advance of leaving. When it's approved, they will give you form E303 which you take to your local job centre within 7 days of arriving in the UK. Tell them you want to claim Spanish Unemployment Benefit.

Brilliant - thank you so much your help it is much appreciated