Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Europe doesn't want us.

Europe doesn't want us.

Old Sep 19th 2012, 1:53 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Europe doesn't want us.

UK exports to Europe are falling whilst they have risen to the rest of the world. The USA is our biggest single importer. UK had a potential market in all the emerging Commonwealth countries but they gambled everything on joining the EC. I wish they would kick out the UK. It would be proved we would be better off without the EC.
Old Sep 19th 2012, 1:59 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
You've never met a Spaniard then

Although public opinion is starting to change...
I have friends from many european countries, not just spain. Many of the spaniards I know do not like the EU. All complain about escalating prices since joining the euro and many rue the change from Pasetas, some hark back to when Franco was in power.

Last edited by missile; Sep 19th 2012 at 2:08 pm.
Old Sep 19th 2012, 2:07 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pit Bull.
My wife's a nurse, I'm after a porters job, we are looking at Perth,
I am currently working on the Gorgon Project for Chevron Australia. Head office is in Perth. We have friends in Adelaide and Sydney.

Perth is a good choice to re-locate. I am sure you will enjoy
Old Sep 19th 2012, 3:11 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
UK exports to Europe are falling whilst they have risen to the rest of the world. The USA is our biggest single importer. UK had a potential market in all the emerging Commonwealth countries but they gambled everything on joining the EC. I wish they would kick out the UK. It would be proved we would be better off without the EC.
I think 60% of our exports go to the EU, which is a lot nearer than the US.

I don't think anyone knows what will happen if we effectively leave the EU, but it would stop us worrying about a referendum, if nothing else.

On a personal basis I can hardly argue differently, having made use of the facilities granted by our membership of the EU for many years by running businesses and living in an EU country.

Actually, it wouldn't take a lot for me to return to the UK. I'm witnessing Spain going down the pan all around me and I'm sick of having to continuously check the exchange rate because my very existence depends on it.

And I'm not comfortable in my own skin any more, my dermatologist has told me to stay out of the sun. I've found that it's not so easy and I look daft in a wide-brimmed sun hat.
Old Sep 20th 2012, 5:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

dunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to all

My wife's a nurse, I'm after a porters job, we are looking at Perth,
Try Freemantle, the housing is cheaper and a very easy commute to Perth.If I remember correctly, a cheap 15 min trip on a train to Perth's CBD...

Just watch out for the seagulls if you are eating outside. The buggers will steal anything before you get it in your mouth.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 10:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Lenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond repute

If 'we' (the Brits) leave the EU then 'we' (the British residents in Spain) will lose our health benefits, our residencia, our vote and our influence. It might be good for the UK to leave Europe (in my opinion, it's not), but it's certainly not good for us.
In fact, when Scotland leaves the United Kingdom (same thing?), and promptly applies to join Europe, I think I'd try and get a wee Scottish passport the noo.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 10:49 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lenox
If 'we' (the Brits) leave the EU then 'we' (the British residents in Spain) will lose our health benefits, our residencia, our vote and our influence. It might be good for the UK to leave Europe (in my opinion, it's not), but it's certainly not good for us.
In fact, when Scotland leaves the United Kingdom (same thing?), and promptly applies to join Europe, I think I'd try and get a wee Scottish passport the noo.
Sorry it doesn't work like that.

If the UK left the EU there is little doubt reciprical arrangements would soon be in place much to the benefit of both countries and our custom would be every bit as highly valued as it is now or was before EU membership.

Take Norway outside the EU,( as we should be), as a typical example and operating in almost all respects as an EU country with many of its citizens living quite happily in Spain and their numbers are increasing all the time.

Norway has a massive income from her extensive fishing grounds alone, which were second in size only to ours before we allowed them to be decimated by the EU with no little help from the Spanish.

I'm sure with proper management and exclusion of the Spanish cowboys, they could eventually be returned to their former glory and once again be a very significant source of income.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 12:00 pm
Banned

Pit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to all

Plus how many tens of billions of pounds have we handed over, bailing countries out it's not as though we can afford it ourselves, I think the UK would prosper outside of the EU, we are in recession and have no growth for a few years now, while being in the EU.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 12:38 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Plus how many tens of billions of pounds have we handed over, bailing countries out it's not as though we can afford it ourselves, I think the UK would prosper outside of the EU, we are in recession and have no growth for a few years now, while being in the EU.
As history shows, we've always proved the doom-mongers wrong over the years when the chips were down.
We can do it again.
Thats what we're all about.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 12:42 pm
Banned

Pit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
As history shows, we've always proved the doom-mongers wrong over the years when the chips were down.
We can do it again.
Thats what we're all about.

We can still be the best country in the world, we just need to take control back of our great country and give Europe the finger.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond repute

The old 'Dunkirk' Spirit. We beat them before and all that. Remember Mafeking!
Ahh, the pesky Europeans, smelling of garlic and sauerkraut.
No, I'd rather stay a European with full European rights than worry about what's good for the people of Croydon.
Of course, I have no British pension or vote, having left when I was thirteen. Should I have stayed? Perhaps not.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 1:14 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lenox
why would we "lose our vote" ?
we retain our UK voting rights for 15 years.

IMHO the vote should not be that of a nation but of an individual, where you can vote in the country you are resident in.

And the last I heard Scotland is unlikely to get EU membership.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 1:21 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Domino
why would we "lose our vote" ?
we retain our UK voting rights for 15 years.

IMHO the vote should not be that of a nation but of an individual, where you can vote in the country you are resident in.

And the last I heard Scotland is unlikely to get EU membership.

That's interesting, I never thought about Scotland's independence bid, will it mean they will no longer be part of Europe and have to try and get back in if they want, do the Scots know this, it might help with theYes' vote, lol
Old Sep 21st 2012, 2:10 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

People still talk about the UK having a say in the matter, still ramble on about having a referendum, the leader of UKIP was on the TV earlier and I couldn't find the off switch quick enough and had to listen to the clown for almost a minute.

There will be no choice, we will be thrown out, they've had enough of us and our veto. We will be like Norway, but without the fish and the oil, and 60 million more mouths to feed.

Maybe we will be better off, though it's hard to imagine how. Our main income comes from the City of London, currently the gateway to Europe for the rest of the world. What's going to happen if we're not in Europe?

I suppose it will be some compensation when we're standing next to bankers in the dole queue.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 2:29 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by HBG
People still talk about the UK having a say in the matter, still ramble on about having a referendum, the leader of UKIP was on the TV earlier and I couldn't find the off switch quick enough and had to listen to the clown for almost a minute.

There will be no choice, we will be thrown out, they've had enough of us and our veto. We will be like Norway, but without the fish and the oil, and 60 million more mouths to feed.

Maybe we will be better off, though it's hard to imagine how. Our main income comes from the City of London, currently the gateway to Europe for the rest of the world. What's going to happen if we're not in Europe?

I suppose it will be some compensation when we're standing next to bankers in the dole queue.

Why would they throw us out for using their veto system? Personally I hope they do after nearly 5 years of no growth and recession and an extra million people out of work, just how much worse can it get not being in with the losers?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.