EU Referendum

Old Feb 2nd 2016, 10:51 am
Just Joined

girlingfoss has a brilliant futuregirlingfoss has a brilliant futuregirlingfoss has a brilliant futuregirlingfoss has a brilliant futuregirlingfoss has a brilliant futuregirlingfoss has a brilliant futuregirlingfoss has a brilliant future
Default Re: EU Referendum

Judging by most of the replies then, everyone is quite happy about changing the status quo.
And believe all the it is going to be ok, trust me.
As to facts there are plenty out there, research them, this is a major change, don't dismiss it. It will affect you personally. And good luck.
Old Feb 2nd 2016, 11:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by girlingfoss
Judging by most of the replies then, everyone is quite happy about changing the status quo.
And believe all the it is going to be ok, trust me.
As to facts there are plenty out there, research them, this is a major change, don't dismiss it. It will affect you personally. And good luck.
There are very few facts out there but an awful lot of speculation.
Old Feb 2nd 2016, 12:05 pm
Just Joined

girlingfoss has a brilliant futuregirlingfoss has a brilliant futuregirlingfoss has a brilliant futuregirlingfoss has a brilliant futuregirlingfoss has a brilliant futuregirlingfoss has a brilliant futuregirlingfoss has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
There are very few facts out there but an awful lot of speculation.
I f you can post you have access to the largest amount of information instantly available called the internet, Dont just take some media view, To those that say Britain managed in the past, read your history, particularly from WW2 to joining the EU. it was not a pretty picture, I lived it and remember.
Old Feb 2nd 2016, 12:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

I lived it and remember
As do many others

I f you can post you have access to the largest amount of information instantly available called the internet,
Most of that information is not fact.

I have been an expat for 40 years and look forward to the end of the EU and a return to normality.
Old Feb 2nd 2016, 8:06 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

EU will lose most if Brexit occurs,Please explain with facts to support this.
Well aside from the obvious - the fact that a Britain outside the EU would make little difference in trade - lots of non-EU members conduct trade with the EU, including, perhaps to the largest extent, the two largest economies on the planet, but really, virtually all countries, even questionable ones like Russia are more dependent on trade with the EU than Britain.

But also considering that some of the EU's largest employers [of EU taxpayers] have billions invested in Britain (and vice-versa) and would have no motivation nor would ever allow EU political leadership to affect trade in any negative way. Besides being just stupid. And Britain's reliance on EU trade is diminishing anyway.

So, how would a Britain outside the EU be any kind of disaster? Show me some evidence of that. Don't start with the "no influence" rhetoric. Britain has little influence now, and it never will until it adopts the Euro and becomes another dependent province, as all eurozone members are.

They are also climbing over themselves to keep the UK in, They must be climbing very slowly judging by reporte so far, just a very few crumbs so far.
Well, let's review. When Cameron first announced the referendum, all the top players - Merkel, Tusk, Juncker, and a few others scoffed. All made speeches claiming that there would be no special treatment for the UK. Merkel even came to Britain with that message to British voters.

But fast forward to this afternoon. Suddenly the EU seems willing to make all kinds of compromises. I wonder what motivated that? After all Britain so desperately needs the EU, dunnit?

Seemingly the outers trust the British government to well for them. It did not work out so well in Iraq when Tony followed Bush to disaster, the crisis Europe faces now was down to those two. Funny most of the EU kept out of that.
And this will happen again as the US has great influence with the UK, and with the current crop of crazy dangerous people now running for President the picture looks dark indeed.
Still you pays your money and takes your choice. Hopeit does not break your bank.

Certainly will the UK if large numbers of expats return with no pensions and healthcare, the NHS cannot look after the ones there.
Well none of those opinions have anything to do with Britain in-or-out, so, wasted text, really.

Bottom line, and why there is so much enthusiasm for keeping the UK in the EU is that the EU desperately needs Britain, especially now:

The EU is a young, inexperienced, and not-completely-sorted form of government, and as such, is not entirely stable (again, quite obviously). Expectably, there is no lack of varying types and levels of dissent. The EU is a great thing, really, and it serves well those who've traditionally struggled to maintain political and economic stability.

But Britain is a mature, experienced, well-sorted, politically and economically secure state (5th largest in the world). It doesn't need all those "extras" that others are dependent on. Britain needs a reliable, stable trading partner, that's all.

But that's the rub. A brexit sets a dangerous precedent, one which would embolden those dependent EU members who harbour various dissenting views to take the same exit paved by Britain. And that could very well have a massive snowball effect, which would at the very least, put the EU in dire straits, and worst case, a complete collapse. Nobody wants that, and every country worldwide would be a victim. Britain included.

So, there's your disaster scenario. But a well-planned, carefully executed, friendly exit could avoid all that (I also suspect we're seeing the beginning of that now). I for one, believe a brexit is inevitable - someday. Not because the EU is "bad" but because it's not in Britain's interests.

There's nothing wrong with the concept of Europe becoming a super-state. In fact, if it doesn't, it will likely fail. But I really don't see how Britain fits into that. Britain will never hand over its sovereignty to a super-state run largely by Germany. I just don't see it. Do you?

Last edited by amideislas; Feb 2nd 2016 at 8:11 pm.
Old Feb 2nd 2016, 8:25 pm
Just Joined

So sorry I wasted your reading time,now I will exit gracefully stage left.
Old Feb 2nd 2016, 8:31 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
Well aside from the obvious - the fact that a Britain outside the EU would make little difference in trade - lots of non-EU members conduct trade with the EU, including, perhaps to the largest extent, the two largest economies on the planet, but really, virtually all countries, even questionable ones like Russia are more dependent on trade with the EU than Britain.

But also considering that some of the EU's largest employers [of EU taxpayers] have billions invested in Britain (and vice-versa) and would have no motivation nor would ever allow EU political leadership to affect trade in any negative way. Besides being just stupid. And Britain's reliance on EU trade is diminishing anyway.

So, how would a Britain outside the EU be any kind of disaster? Show me some evidence of that. Don't start with the "no influence" rhetoric. Britain has little influence now, and it never will until it adopts the Euro and becomes another dependent province, as all eurozone members are.

Well, let's review. When Cameron first announced the referendum, all the top players - Merkel, Tusk, Juncker, and a few others scoffed. All made speeches claiming that there would be no special treatment for the UK. Merkel even came to Britain with that message to British voters.

But fast forward to this afternoon. Suddenly the EU seems willing to make all kinds of compromises. I wonder what motivated that? After all Britain so desperately needs the EU, dunnit?

Well none of those opinions have anything to do with Britain in-or-out, so, wasted text, really.

Bottom line, and why there is so much enthusiasm for keeping the UK in the EU is that the EU desperately needs Britain, especially now:

The EU is a young, inexperienced, and not-completely-sorted form of government, and as such, is not entirely stable (again, quite obviously). Expectably, there is no lack of varying types and levels of dissent. The EU is a great thing, really, and it serves well those who've traditionally struggled to maintain political and economic stability.

But Britain is a mature, experienced, well-sorted, politically and economically secure state (5th largest in the world). It doesn't need all those "extras" that others are dependent on. Britain needs a reliable, stable trading partner, that's all.

But that's the rub. A brexit sets a dangerous precedent, one which would embolden those dependent EU members who harbour various dissenting views to take the same exit paved by Britain. And that could very well have a massive snowball effect, which would at the very least, put the EU in dire straits, and worst case, a complete collapse. Nobody wants that, and every country worldwide would be a victim. Britain included.

So, there's your disaster scenario. But a well-planned, carefully executed, friendly exit could avoid all that (I also suspect we're seeing the beginning of that now). I for one, believe a brexit is inevitable - someday. Not because the EU is "bad" but because it's not in Britain's interests.

There's nothing wrong with the concept of Europe becoming a super-state. In fact, if it doesn't, it will likely fail. But I really don't see how Britain fits into that. Britain will never hand over its sovereignty to a super-state run largely by Germany. I just don't see it. Do you?
Eh ?
EU willing to make all sorts of compromises this afternoon ?

Please enlighten me, I must have missed something.
Old Feb 2nd 2016, 9:23 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Eh ?
EU willing to make all sorts of compromises this afternoon ?

Please enlighten me, I must have missed something.
From "absolutely no compromise" a year ago, to "OK, here's *some* things that we previously completely ruled out and vowed never to compromise".
Old Feb 2nd 2016, 9:45 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
From "absolutely no compromise" a year ago, to "OK, here's *some* things that we previously completely ruled out and vowed never to compromise".
Such as ?

After all his other failures and humiliations.....

Cameron’s vanishing renegotiation | Conservative Home

.......he was left hanging his hat on the four year no new immigrant benefit deal and even that's gone down the tube today.

Basically nothing else has changed, .....except of course the wording.

Not so long ago he was talking about total reform of the EU.
That's long forgotten, not even the vague possibility of a treaty change, though we did expect at least a few crumbs.

Guess I must pay a visit to specsavers I'm struggling to find even one.

Cameron has been sold a pup, yet again.
I'd hate to send him to buy me a second hand car.
Old Feb 3rd 2016, 11:14 am
BE Enthusiast

rspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond repute

"Suddenly the EU seems willing to make all kinds of compromises. I wonder what motivated that? After all Britain so desperately needs the EU, dunnit?"

I suspect the fact that the UK is the 3rd largest overall contributor has something to do with that. How will the EU manage without the £10.4 billion that we currently pay? Plus there will be no MEPs to pay for with their expenses accounts - does this mean no Nigel Farage? and the courts will administer the Law rather than interpreting the 'spirit or intention'. Starting to seem like a winner to me.

Last edited by rspltd; Feb 3rd 2016 at 11:31 am.
Old Feb 3rd 2016, 1:20 pm
EU hoo

iano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rspltd
How will the EU manage without the £10.4 billion that we currently pay ?
What will help soften the blow for the other 27 countries in the EU is not having to rebate 2/3 of that figure each year.
Old Feb 3rd 2016, 5:57 pm
On the road again.

Originally Posted by iano
What will help soften the blow for the other 27 countries in the EU is not having to rebate 2/3 of that figure each year.
No problem there.

The EU simply impose a hefty fine on the UK in addition to the annual contribution and Cameron meekly coughs up, just as he did last year.
Old Feb 3rd 2016, 6:40 pm
On the road again.

People overwhelmingly think David Cameron's EU deal is 'bad for Britain', poll finds | UK Politics | News | The Independent
Old Feb 3rd 2016, 7:43 pm
EU hoo

iano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond reputeiano has a reputation beyond repute

"...The negative reaction to the package could undermine support for European Union membership..."

See it's all going to plan then. Notice the rags were full of Dad's Army imagery on front pages today.

Stokes things up nicely, rush the referendum through in June, all while the pro-Euro celts are otherwise engaged, then Cam leaves post anoints Boris as his successor before the 2020 election. UKIP RIP, whichever way the referendum goes, as the Tories mop up the majority of the 5 million disenfranchised 'kippers.

Must admit, Cameron and Boris are playing a blinder, bad cop good cop. Best double act since Waldorf and Statler.

Last edited by iano; Feb 3rd 2016 at 8:30 pm.
Old Feb 3rd 2016, 8:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

I think Cameron's "negotiations" are nothing more than hot air.

How come even Juncker was quite happy with some of the suggested changes?..probably because a lot of this extremely moderate stuff was in the pipeline already as UK is not the only country complaining about lack of flexibility and leadership from EU.

Netherlands (current chairman of EU) voted "No" in the last referendum...but it didn't make a blind bit of difference..we are still stuck.

In or out I think the current setup will have to be changed anyway as with each country that joins the arguments increase.

Did you see the UKIP broadcast and the scaremongering about Turkey?..
I think the chance of Turkey joining is a long way off..

If you live as an expat in EU or have been living abroad for a while maybe it's good to reflect on why you came abroad in the first place. Strangely enough it's thanks to EU legislation that many have been able to retain accrued rights from the UK. The Conservatives are already doing a fine job of dismantling all that anyway but it could cause problems of course in the case of a 'Brexit'. Either way I'm not worried.. I left when Thatcher came in and UK hasn't become that attractive that i'm desperate to go back.
As long as I'm allowed to keep my Passport I'm happy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.