Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

EU Lift Ugly Veg Rules

EU Lift Ugly Veg Rules

Old Nov 14th 2008, 1:12 am

poshnbucks has disabled reputation
Default EU Lift Ugly Veg Rules

The EU have lifted a ban on so called Ugly Fruit/Veg.Where I live no one took any notice and the Uglies for years have tasted very good indeed. I was surprised how much food was wasted to satisfy this unknown consumer who wishes to have his/her fruit and veg uniform. I remember in the UK unless you grew it yourself most of the fruit and Veg had little or no flavour. Here in Spain even the supermarket carrots are full of flavour. Our fruit and Veg Saturday market has all the misshapes you could desire and that's just the punters

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7723808.stm
Old Nov 14th 2008, 2:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EU Lift Ugly Veg Rules

Originally Posted by poshnbucks
The EU have lifted a ban on so called Ugly Fruit/Veg.Where I live no one took any notice and the Uglies for years have tasted very good indeed. I was surprised how much food was wasted to satisfy this unknown consumer who wishes to have his/her fruit and veg uniform. I remember in the UK unless you grew it yourself most of the fruit and Veg had little or no flavour. Here in Spain even the supermarket carrots are full of flavour. Our fruit and Veg Saturday market has all the misshapes you could desire and that's just the punters

http://bestsmileys.com/lol/4.gif

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7723808.stm

Yes....sorry to by cynical, but I have a feeling Mrs Supermarket Multiple-Shopper isn't going to start accepting tasty British apples if they're a tad less 'standard'. And I speak as someone who's previously grown Lewis's Incomparable (don't snigger), American Mother (ditto), Norfolk Royal, & more. Let's hope the change makes a practical difference, but I reckon it'll be a long drawn out process.
I'm going to start a campaign. Save the UgliFruit! Save the UgliFruit!
Old Nov 14th 2008, 4:03 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fionamw
Yes....sorry to by cynical, but I have a feeling Mrs Supermarket Multiple-Shopper isn't going to start accepting tasty British apples if they're a tad less 'standard'. And I speak as someone who's previously grown Lewis's Incomparable (don't snigger), American Mother (ditto), Norfolk Royal, & more. Let's hope the change makes a practical difference, but I reckon it'll be a long drawn out process.
I'm going to start a campaign. Save the UgliFruit! Save the UgliFruit!
do you never sleep?

have you ever eaten Ugli fruit?

lovely - sort a cross between a grapefruit & an orange
Attached Thumbnails EU Lift Ugly Veg Rules-ugli.jpg  
Old Nov 14th 2008, 5:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
do you never sleep?

Think it was the only success story of a load of rashly expensive exotics I and teenage daughter bought for a (supposedly healthy) treat last year.....they were 99% rotten. Thanks, E.C.I.!
And yes, but thanks to late night power cut woke (woolies again) to find half the house blazing with light & whilst turning off the light in the study.....
Old Nov 14th 2008, 7:41 pm
Banned

betris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond repute

do you never sleep?

"you are what you eat "as they say. It was a official statment so it must be true.

Last edited by betris; Nov 14th 2008 at 7:55 pm.
Old Nov 15th 2008, 6:03 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by betris
"you are what you eat "as they say. It was a official statment so it must be true.
It just goes to prove that you something can be ugly on the outside, but beautiful on the inside
Old Nov 15th 2008, 8:56 am
Banned

betris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond repute

It just goes to prove that you something can be ugly on the outside, but beautiful on the inside
looks are not everthing,you could look beutiful and be the most horrible person in the world.or you can look ugly and be the nicest person in the world. its the person that counts.

if you have to eat uglyfuit to make you ugly.then you must be beutiful realy.inside and out.
Old Nov 15th 2008, 10:56 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by betris
looks are not everthing,you could look beutiful and be the most horrible person in the world.or you can look ugly and be the nicest person in the world. its the person that counts.

if you have to eat uglyfuit to make you ugly.then you must be beutiful realy.inside and out.
OMG!!!

we agree