Estate Agents

Old Jan 2nd 2007, 9:00 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Estate Agents

Originally Posted by Hillybilly
The "problem" with the API, GIPE etc is that membership is no longer compulsory since the Spanish estate agency sector was de-regularised in the early 80's (I think it was). Membership of the API is purely voluntary and so the API cannot, unfortunately, be considered as the regulatory body for estate agents. As one has to have proper qualifications (oo er missus) etc to become a member that explains why there are so few "expat" members of the API.
There are other "trade organisations" but that is really all they are: you pays your membership and displays your plaque/logo.
There is talk of re-regularising the industry again. Bring it on.
Yeah I know what you mean.
I used to be a member of " The Guild Of Master Craftsmen " for a year, using the logo on vehicles, paperwork etc and all they wanted to see was my 25 quid.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 6:43 pm
Account Closed

cherie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jdr
Yeah I know what you mean.
I used to be a member of " The Guild Of Master Craftsmen " for a year, using the logo on vehicles, paperwork etc and all they wanted to see was my 25 quid.
No jdr, A.P.I., is not quite as you have tried to insinuate it is. Maybe, a bit more information is in order..........

Although the property sector was deregulated, the "Colegio oficial de
agentes de la propiedad inmobilaiaria" (official college of estate
agents) or "COAPI" is still the only state recognised body of estate
agents in Spain and its members, the "Agente de la propiedad
imobiliaria" or "API" are the only officially qualified estate agents.

The official college of estate agents is not a trade organisation and
just like the official college of Lawyers or the official college the
Architects, only those properly formed and qualified can become members.
It is quite true that to sell property in Spain it is no longer
compulsory to belong to the official college of estate agents but only
those that do can officially call themselves estate agents "Agente de la
propiedad inmobilaria".

Ask yourself this; if they deregulated say the legal sector who would
you prefer to use a qualified member of Spains official college of
lawyers or somebody with a law book, 10 words of Spanish, an office in
their garage and who watches LA law on a regular basis?
Old Jan 7th 2007, 7:11 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cherie
No jdr, A.P.I., is not quite as you have tried to insinuate it is. Maybe, a bit more information is in order..........

propiedad inmobilaria".

I was just saying how easy it is to get paperwork that people look up to and assume is kosher, I mean it is an impressive title for 25 quid and nobody even checked who I was.
Are you trying to tell me that estate agency is not a trade, but on a par to a Lawyer or an Architect ?
My daughter in law used to work for the biggest legal estate agent in Spain and she and hundreds of others are still owed loads of money with no recompence at all when it went down the pan.
Probably a lot of their clients will be in the same position also, so you cant say that any paperwork with letters on in Spain is a safeguard.
I will mention no names but as you are in the business you will know them.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 9:39 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

propiedad inmobilaria".

So ..... how many estate agents are in this association then, and is it bonded in any way. Its just that when you come to Spain and you see the number of agents here all selling the same properties at different prices, and you see and hear all the stories on the forums etc about rip offs and misrepresentations, its difficult to believe theres any control whatsoever.

I think JDR is just pointing out that in the UK you can become members of recognised associations for a few quid, but in reality it can mean nothing. Blimey, I was a Fellow of the Institute of Freight Forwarders (FinstFF) but to be truthfull all it meant was I was £299 a year worse off!!!
Old Jan 8th 2007, 12:27 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
So ..... how many estate agents are in this association then, and is it bonded in any way. Its just that when you come to Spain and you see the number of agents here all selling the same properties at different prices, and you see and hear all the stories on the forums etc about rip offs and misrepresentations, its difficult to believe theres any control whatsoever.

I think JDR is just pointing out that in the UK you can become members of recognised associations for a few quid, but in reality it can mean nothing. Blimey, I was a Fellow of the Institute of Freight Forwarders (FinstFF) but to be truthfull all it meant was I was £299 a year worse off!!!

Having said that about the £299 a year worse off, perhaps it brought in more than that in increased contacts and work. I knowfrom UK experience, that when looking for a firm like a removals firm, I would look to see if they wre a member of BAR, if not, no go. I always felt thqt if someone had joined their proff. body then you at least had some comeback even if only through the proff. body as I assumed they did have some sort of insurance cover.
Old Jan 8th 2007, 2:30 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Having said that about the £299 a year worse off, perhaps it brought in more than that in increased contacts and work.

Oh yes it did for sure, but my point was that it was not really a regulatory body and the worst someone could do would have been to report me to them. I wouldn't be disbarred from trading or have any action taken against me. If being a registered estate agent in Spain is the same then its really a false comfort.
Old Jan 8th 2007, 6:16 pm
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

propiedad inmobilaria".

With respect, I think you've misunderstood. If you read the posts nobody has likened the API to a pays-your-money trade association, just pointed out that there ARE many worthless trade association type organisations out there for real estate agents.

Whilst only those that have trained, qualified and as a result belong to the API can call themselves "agente de la propiedad inmobilaria" there is absolutely nothing in law to stop any newly arrived Ryanair wannabe estate agent calling him/herself an "estate agent". And which route will those wannabe estate agents go down? Train, qualify, become an API member and have their commissions regulated and capped? Or, don't train, don't qualify, don't join the API and charge 10-50% commission? Hmmm, difficult choice!

I'd not heard of the API before moving to Spain and neither will the majority of other expat newcomers - to them an estate agent is an estate agent.

Nobody can call themselves a lawyer, doctor, architect, engineer etc without the relevant qualifications (or at least, not without getting into severe trouble!) because these are regulated professions and will never be otherwise. For now, estate agency in Spain is most definitely NOT regulated.

If you Google for API you will see what a small number of estate agents belong. And who knows the real number of "expat" estate agents here.
Old Jan 8th 2007, 6:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

I would say that the same applies to lawyers in Spain. In order to be a Spanish lawyer all you have to do is bribe or bluff your way through law school and get a degree.

The provincial Colegios de Abogados are certainly not a regulatory bodies and exist mainly to protect their associates against highly justifiable complaints from members of the public.