Estate Agents

Old Dec 18th 2006, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

mick123 has a brilliant futuremick123 has a brilliant futuremick123 has a brilliant futuremick123 has a brilliant futuremick123 has a brilliant futuremick123 has a brilliant future
Default Estate Agents

Are Estate Agents regulated in Spain and if so what is the name of the regulatory body, how would I go about checking so see if an estate agent is registered as a member of the regulatory body,

would the estate agents/company names be registered or would an lindividual employed at the agency be registered.

Would English estate agents operating in Spain be subject to the same regulations ?.

mick
Old Dec 18th 2006, 1:54 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Estate Agents

Originally Posted by mick123
Are Estate Agents regulated in Spain and if so what is the name of the regulatory body, how would I go about checking so see if an estate agent is registered as a member of the regulatory body,

would the estate agents/company names be registered or would an lindividual employed at the agency be registered.

Would English estate agents operating in Spain be subject to the same regulations ?.

mick
Although I believe there are moves afoot to change this, I understand that Estate Agents in Spain have no official regulatory body. My only advice can be to work off recommendation. Which are are you looking in?
Old Dec 18th 2006, 2:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

mitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to behold

In my many years of living in Spain I have yet to find an Estate Agent who is reputable - unfortunately as soon as they have their commissions which is all they are interested in, it is bye bye and you have to get on with any problems yourself.

I sold my house on the Costa Del Sol privately and it only cost me 3Euros in advertising. The sale went through without a hitch and the buyers are very contented with their purchase...
Old Dec 18th 2006, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

j0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant future

Mitzipurr and Mitzyboy are completely right. There is no ombudsman as there is in the UK. Estate Agents can say and do whatever they wish in order to make a sale.

All that matters the them are the league tables!

The only Estate Agent I know which I beleive has had nothing to do with any ilegal buildings is Andalucian Dream Homes.

Best to go on recommendation, but I wouldnt personally use the solicitor that the agent recommends. Best to find everyone yourself personally through recommendation.

If you are selling, numerous agents have dropped their commission to 2 or 3 % rather than 8 or 10%. So shop around or negotiate.

Good luck
Old Dec 18th 2006, 7:56 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Its not unusual for different estate agents to put the same property on at different prices either!!

There are good ones around though, and I know of several around the Oliva / Gandia Area who have good names.
Old Dec 19th 2006, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

sunnysenorita is a jewel in the roughsunnysenorita is a jewel in the roughsunnysenorita is a jewel in the roughsunnysenorita is a jewel in the roughsunnysenorita is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by j0197
Mitzipurr and Mitzyboy are completely right. There is no ombudsman as there is in the UK. Estate Agents can say and do whatever they wish in order to make a sale.

All that matters the them are the league tables!

The only Estate Agent I know which I beleive has had nothing to do with any ilegal buildings is Andalucian Dream Homes.

Best to go on recommendation, but I wouldnt personally use the solicitor that the agent recommends. Best to find everyone yourself personally through recommendation.

If you are selling, numerous agents have dropped their commission to 2 or 3 % rather than 8 or 10%. So shop around or negotiate.

Good luck
It is true to say that there are a lot of dodgy Estate Agents out there. Unfortunately for the better ones, they too are automatically judged in the same bracket as the rogues.

With regard to illegal buildings (Malaya case), the Estate Agents in most cases have also been caught up in the web of deception and have been completely unaware of the situation, along with everybody else until it hit the news headlines.

Look closely at the Agents who only charge 2 or 3 % commission for lsting your property but insist on a 'Listing fee' upfront. Many of these 'Listers' are now working purely for their lising fee and have no interest in what happens after that stage.

Confused? Join the club!
Old Jan 1st 2007, 11:21 pm
Account Closed

cherie is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey, where you all living........obviously on 'Cloud Number Nine'. YES, there is a Regulatory Body in Spain controlling estate agents, whether they be Spanish or English. There are many websites for you all to visit which explain these regulatory rules.
Originally Posted by mick123

mick
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 4:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Miss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cherie
Hey, where you all living........obviously on 'Cloud Number Nine'. YES, there is a Regulatory Body in Spain controlling estate agents, whether they be Spanish or English. There are many websites for you all to visit which explain these regulatory rules.
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 5:00 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by cherie

Please tell us where then, and what the body is?
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 5:02 pm
Just Joined

brightonchris is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Its not unusual for different estate agents to put the same property on at different prices either!!

There are good ones around though, and I know of several around the Oliva / Gandia Area who have good names.
Hi
I am interested in property in the Oliva/Gandia are and wonder if you would be prepared to recommend agents?
thanks

Last edited by brightonchris; Jan 2nd 2007 at 5:03 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 5:09 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by brightonchris
Hi
I am interested in property in the Oliva/Gandia are and wonder if you would be prepared to recommend agents?
thanks
well I think I'm allowed to do this as you asked:

www.spanishselection.com
Comes highly recommended, and I've seen his name on other sites.

I think there is an agent called Oranges & Lemons also in Gandia that I have seen recommended and they have been around for quite a time.

If you want a low down on the area then I'd be pleased to help, and if you're over on a trip be happy to have a coffee to tell you about the area.
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 5:17 pm
Just Joined

brightonchris is an unknown quantity at this point

well I think I'm allowed to do this as you asked:

www.spanishselection.com
Comes highly recommended, and I've seen his name on other sites.

I think there is an agent called Oranges & Lemons also in Gandia that I have seen recommended and they have been around for quite a time.

If you want a low down on the area then I'd be pleased to help, and if you're over on a trip be happy to have a coffee to tell you about the area.
many thanks for that, came over in november last year and drove for miles (and miles!!) around the valencia region and have narrowed down to Oliva/Gandia area...seemed to tick all the boxes for me...guess that you agree as you live there!??. will be back over in the spring to look at the towns in more detail
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 6:49 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by brightonchris
many thanks for that, came over in november last year and drove for miles (and miles!!) around the valencia region and have narrowed down to Oliva/Gandia area...seemed to tick all the boxes for me...guess that you agree as you live there!??. will be back over in the spring to look at the towns in more detail

Both Gandia and Oliva have two areas ..... the main towns and the playa areas. Its worth checking out both as they are very different.

Have a look at Piles and Pego as well!
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 8:22 pm
Account Closed

cherie is an unknown quantity at this point

Please tell us where then, and what the body is?
The governing body for estate agents in Spain, (of any nationality), is A.P.I., short for 'Agente de Propiedad Inmobilaria'. This qualification is equivalent to the British N.A.E.A., short for 'National Association of Estate Agents. It's not illegal in Spain to be an estate agent without the A.P.I. qualification, but I just don't understand why Brits and other nationalities choose back-street, meet in the bar, no proper offices type agents, over bona fide agents; then whine when things go wrong. After doing a survey of British estate agents, in my area, surprise surprise, only a handful are A.P.I. qualified. I wonder why? Can any non A.P.I. British estate agents in Spain, explain why they have not 'bothered' to become qualified? Lastly, to find out more, try a search with Alta Vista, Google, etc etc.
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 8:42 pm
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

The "problem" with the API, GIPE etc is that membership is no longer compulsory since the Spanish estate agency sector was de-regularised in the early 80's (I think it was). Membership of the API is purely voluntary and so the API cannot, unfortunately, be considered as the regulatory body for estate agents. As one has to have proper qualifications (oo er missus) etc to become a member that explains why there are so few "expat" members of the API.
There are other "trade organisations" but that is really all they are: you pays your membership and displays your plaque/logo.
There is talk of re-regularising the industry again. Bring it on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.