Reload this Page >

Erasmus Program in Spain

Erasmus Program in Spain

Old Jan 13th 2009, 11:10 am
Just Joined

chuche is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Erasmus Program in Spain

Hi Mark,

I went on ERASMUS to Malaga and it was great- yes it is true that certain areas of Malaga are very english but the centre of Malaga is definateley not.

I got my internship from EPS Malaga a company who arrange internships for students for a small fee, i also got my accommodation from them in a shared apartment - the girl who helped me was called Yuleanne - Im not sure if she is still there but shes really helpful. Try their website :www.epsmalaga.com/en

Good Luck
Originally Posted by mark_sheffield
Erasmus Program in Spain

Hi everyone,

I am looking into doing an ERASMUS program in Spain.

For anyone who doesn’t know what the ERASMUS program is it is basically a 12 month work experience program that is funded by the ever so generous EU to allow undergraduates to obtain work experience in another EU country.

I am trying to work out the kinks with the ERASMUS department at my university but I have a few questions about Spain in general that I would like some help with:

1) Obviously by going to Spain I hope to improve upon my Spanish language skills. I have only completed a Level 1 part time course which covers the most basic of topics. I am also trying to improve using the Rosetta Stone software in my spare time. However I am worried that I am not yet competent enough to be able to move to Spain.

2) I am unsure of whereabouts I should be looking to move to in Spain. Top of the agenda is an area where proper Spanish is spoken and not Castilian or Basque. I would also need an area where there is a suitable amount of host organisations so I don’t imagine I would be able to move the Spanish countryside. I am also looking for somewhere where the weather is nice.

For the above reasons I have been looking at Malaga. Having never been to Spain before and knowing very little about the country as a whole it is possible that this is a bad choice.

I have run the idea past a few people and they have said that Malaga is full of English chavs and should be the last place on earth I should be looking at. I have also seen some TV programs and remember watching an episode of Ramsays Kitchen Knightmares detailing how every other restaurant was an English greasy spoon cafe. One guy said he sold 700 portions of chips a week to all of the Brits. However on the plus side it has a similar sized population to Sheffield (about 500,000) and a year round nice climate. Nevertheless I believe it would be most beneficial to live in a town with a large-ish student population so that I could easily make some friends. I don’t believe Malaga will meet this criteria.

3) Although the EU is hopefully providing the funding I will not be getting run-over by the gravy train and therefore need to be living somewhere that is relatively cheap.

I realise that all of the above is a lot to ask of any location and that it is highly unlikely that such a place exists. If anyone has any suggestions I would be more than happy to hear them.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post.

Mark

Old Jan 14th 2009, 8:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

featherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mark_sheffield
Erasmus Program in Spain

2I am unsure of whereabouts I should be looking to move to in Spain. Top of the agenda is an area where proper Spanish is spoken and not Castilian or Basque.

In the basque country, as well as speaking basque we speak 'proper spanish' too, you know...
Old Jan 14th 2009, 8:52 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Don't rule out any of the Castilian cities - Salamanca, Valladolid, Leon etc - as it's here that (allegedly) the purest Spanish is spoken. However,as mentioned above, people do speak Spanish in the Basque country, and you'll be close to marvellous coast and mountains. Indeed, try Santander, Gijon, La Corunna or Oviedo for great locations (but not boiling hot in the summer). If you really must be close to the Med heat, Malaga does have a lot going for it. I wouldn't rule out Valencia either - ok so the version of Catalan/Valenciano is quite strong, but plenty still speak Spanish. Plus it's cheaper than either Madrid or Barcelona accommodation wise. Personally I think Madrid is the best place on the planet (especially if you are seeking work) but it may be a little expensive. Having said this there are lots of accommodation agencies that cater to students and people willing to share apartments in the capital.
One proviso - if you feel you may want to travel back regularly to the UK, maybe best to choose somewhere like ALicante or Malaga, with plenty of ryaneasyjet flights.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 9:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Little left to say, except do not underestimate how difficult the Andaluz version of Spanish is to the untrained ear. (even so, Malaga !)
Old Jan 14th 2009, 9:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Little left to say, except do not underestimate how difficult the Andaluz version of Spanish is to the untrained ear. (even so, Malaga !)

...& keep us posted