Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Erasmus Program in Spain

Erasmus Program in Spain

Old Mar 17th 2008, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

mark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of light
Question Erasmus Program in Spain

Erasmus Program in Spain

Hi everyone,

I am looking into doing an ERASMUS program in Spain.

For anyone who doesn’t know what the ERASMUS program is it is basically a 12 month work experience program that is funded by the ever so generous EU to allow undergraduates to obtain work experience in another EU country.

I am trying to work out the kinks with the ERASMUS department at my university but I have a few questions about Spain in general that I would like some help with:

1) Obviously by going to Spain I hope to improve upon my Spanish language skills. I have only completed a Level 1 part time course which covers the most basic of topics. I am also trying to improve using the Rosetta Stone software in my spare time. However I am worried that I am not yet competent enough to be able to move to Spain.

2) I am unsure of whereabouts I should be looking to move to in Spain. Top of the agenda is an area where proper Spanish is spoken and not Castilian or Basque. I would also need an area where there is a suitable amount of host organisations so I don’t imagine I would be able to move the Spanish countryside. I am also looking for somewhere where the weather is nice.

For the above reasons I have been looking at Malaga. Having never been to Spain before and knowing very little about the country as a whole it is possible that this is a bad choice.

I have run the idea past a few people and they have said that Malaga is full of English chavs and should be the last place on earth I should be looking at. I have also seen some TV programs and remember watching an episode of Ramsays Kitchen Knightmares detailing how every other restaurant was an English greasy spoon cafe. One guy said he sold 700 portions of chips a week to all of the Brits. However on the plus side it has a similar sized population to Sheffield (about 500,000) and a year round nice climate. Nevertheless I believe it would be most beneficial to live in a town with a large-ish student population so that I could easily make some friends. I don’t believe Malaga will meet this criteria.

3) Although the EU is hopefully providing the funding I will not be getting run-over by the gravy train and therefore need to be living somewhere that is relatively cheap.

I realise that all of the above is a lot to ask of any location and that it is highly unlikely that such a place exists. If anyone has any suggestions I would be more than happy to hear them.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post.

Mark

Old Mar 17th 2008, 1:38 pm
Family man

CBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud of
Default Re: Erasmus Program in Spain

Originally Posted by mark_sheffield
Erasmus Program in Spain

Hi everyone,

I am looking into doing an ERASMUS program in Spain.

For anyone who doesn’t know what the ERASMUS program is it is basically a 12 month work experience program that is funded by the ever so generous EU to allow undergraduates to obtain work experience in another EU country.

I am trying to work out the kinks with the ERASMUS department at my university but I have a few questions about Spain in general that I would like some help with:

1) Obviously by going to Spain I hope to improve upon my Spanish language skills. I have only completed a Level 1 part time course which covers the most basic of topics. I am also trying to improve using the Rosetta Stone software in my spare time. However I am worried that I am not yet competent enough to be able to move to Spain.

2) I am unsure of whereabouts I should be looking to move to in Spain. Top of the agenda is an area where proper Spanish is spoken and not Castilian or Basque. I would also need an area where there is a suitable amount of host organisations so I don’t imagine I would be able to move the Spanish countryside. I am also looking for somewhere where the weather is nice.

For the above reasons I have been looking at Malaga. Having never been to Spain before and knowing very little about the country as a whole it is possible that this is a bad choice.

I have run the idea past a few people and they have said that Malaga is full of English chavs and should be the last place on earth I should be looking at. I have also seen some TV programs and remember watching an episode of Ramsays Kitchen Knightmares detailing how every other restaurant was an English greasy spoon cafe. One guy said he sold 700 portions of chips a week to all of the Brits. However on the plus side it has a similar sized population to Sheffield (about 500,000) and a year round nice climate. Nevertheless I believe it would be most beneficial to live in a town with a large-ish student population so that I could easily make some friends. I don’t believe Malaga will meet this criteria.

3) Although the EU is hopefully providing the funding I will not be getting run-over by the gravy train and therefore need to be living somewhere that is relatively cheap.

I realise that all of the above is a lot to ask of any location and that it is highly unlikely that such a place exists. If anyone has any suggestions I would be more than happy to hear them.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post.

Mark

I presume you mean CATALAN as Castilian is the main spoken language in Spain. I think you would be better off in Madrid.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 1:44 pm
Just Joined

General Melched is an unknown quantity at this point

You only very rarely hear basque in navarra so you'd be fine there. Apparently catalunia has a lot of catalan spoken so to be avoided.

saludos
Old Mar 17th 2008, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

spanishfamily is on a distinguished road

Just have to say that Malaga city and the coastline of Malaga province are very different things! Malaga city itself is a lively, down-to-earth, very Spanish place with few English people. It's very underrated, in my opinion! Its a great place for young people as there are many students there.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

lmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud of

Hi
My neice went to Salamanca, for a year. We visited, it was absolutely fantastic.
Give it a go.
LMJ
Old Mar 17th 2008, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

mark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of light

Thank you for your quick responses.

My neice went to Salamanca, for a year. We visited, it was absolutely fantastic.
I have heard similar opinions expressed on Salamanca over on The Student Room forum. I think it is quite popular with ERASMUS students because it has the university which is supposed to by quite good.

You only very rarely hear basque in navarra so you'd be fine there. Apparently catalunia has a lot of catalan spoken so to be avoided.
Thank you for the advice.

Just have to say that Malaga city and the coastline of Malaga province are very different things! Malaga city itself is a lively, down-to-earth, very Spanish place with few English people. It's very underrated, in my opinion! Its a great place for young people as there are many students there.
I have to say that is fantastic news. I was under the impression that the entire city was swammped with Tourists. The city sounds like a nice place so long as I keep away from the coast

I have Googled for some pictures at it looks nice.

Has anyone else got any useful tips on Malaga?
Old Mar 17th 2008, 8:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Erasmus Program in Spain

Has anyone else got any useful tips on Malaga?
I thought it had a university.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 8:57 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John & Kath
I thought it had a university.
It does and bars that don`t sell 700 portions of chips a week. lol
Old Mar 17th 2008, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

Olmos is a name known to allOlmos is a name known to allOlmos is a name known to allOlmos is a name known to allOlmos is a name known to allOlmos is a name known to allOlmos is a name known to allOlmos is a name known to allOlmos is a name known to allOlmos is a name known to allOlmos is a name known to all

Another vote for Salamanca. The oldest university in Spain. Fun all year round. Their spanish is the best you can hear.

Also, you can consider Alcala de Henares, an old university town, near Madrid, but with cheaper accommodation. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcal%C3%A1_de_Henares
Old Mar 17th 2008, 9:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud ofCAROL ELIZABETH has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Olmos
Another vote for Salamanca. The oldest university in Spain. Fun all year round. Their spanish is the best you can hear.

Also, you can consider Alcala de Henares, an old university town, near Madrid, but with cheaper accommodation. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcal%C3%A1_de_Henares
Lots of people say Salamanca is the ideal place - perfect for language development as the Spanish language is I think at its most pure. Andalucian towns and cities are great to visit and stay in -sunny weather, beautiful and historic cities - I would choose Seville, but the dialect is not easy. In my limited experience and going on what my teacher says they often miss off the ends of the words which makes it difficult to follow.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 11:59 pm
Forum Regular

Cielito Lindo has a brilliant futureCielito Lindo has a brilliant futureCielito Lindo has a brilliant futureCielito Lindo has a brilliant futureCielito Lindo has a brilliant futureCielito Lindo has a brilliant future

Hi Mark,
Just wanted to echo most of what´s been said already. Malaga city is still very traditional and was much nicer than I expected. Salamanca is quite like the `Oxford´of Spain and definitely the place to go if you want to learn excellent Spanish; it is reputed for it´s language courses and has the feel of a university city. Madrid, great fun if you´re young and can keep up with the pace and the Universidad Complutense has a strong reputation (it educated my hubby) but boy is Madrid expensive!
A friend of mine who was studying at Sheffield did her ERASMUS year in Leon. She enjoyed it reasonably but the winters are very cold. She also did a year working in Madrid and preferred that. I will add that her Spanish was very good before she went but if you are living in a totally Spanish environment, I can almost guarantee you will pick it up far quicker as it´s a matter of survival. I know because I´ve survived!
Another option is Ciudad Real (I´m waving the flag for Castilla La Mancha where I live now). Small city of 80,000, totally Spanish, friendly, very, very cheap to live and the campus of the University of Castilla La Mancha is split between Ciudad Real and Toledo which I personally think is one of the most beautiful cities in Spain. Also, Ciudad Real is only 55 minutes on the AVE to Madrid, so you can still enjoy the buzz of the big city and all that has to offer.
Hope this hasn´t added more dilemmas for you and that wherever you decide upon you have a fantastic experience!

Last edited by Cielito Lindo; Mar 18th 2008 at 12:08 am. Reason: Added a bit
Old Mar 18th 2008, 5:40 am

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

There was a similar thread a while ago that you might want to read, it's here

I wonder how he got on..
Old Mar 18th 2008, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Mark,
Just wanted to echo most of what´s been said already. Malaga city is still very traditional and was much nicer than I expected. Salamanca is quite like the `Oxford´of Spain and definitely the place to go if you want to learn excellent Spanish; it is reputed for it´s language courses and has the feel of a university city. Madrid, great fun if you´re young and can keep up with the pace and the Universidad Complutense has a strong reputation (it educated my hubby) but boy is Madrid expensive!
Very helpful thank you.

Does anyone know if there is a directory of british expats based in Spain like they have at the British Florida site? There FABB memebers directory has a list of self employed people in Florida. Is there a similar list for Spain?
Old Mar 18th 2008, 7:51 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Very helpful thank you.

Does anyone know if there is a directory of british expats based in Spain like they have at the British Florida site? There FABB memebers directory has a list of self employed people in Florida. Is there a similar list for Spain?
I very much doubt it, 50% or more are probably working illegally.
Old Mar 20th 2008, 7:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

noelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of light

Our daughter, who is currently studying Hispanic Studies with English at Kings College London has just heard that she has been accepted as an Erasmus student at a university in Seville (don't know if there is more than one) .. her first choice.
Although Kings is a prestigious University in UK (12th in league tables), it appears that only two out of the four Kings students who applied to this university in Seville were accepted! One of the 'rejects' even expects to do a 'Master's' in Spanish at the end of her current degree course.
As pretty much everyone in King's Spanish Department now know their position regarding Erasmus funding for Sept 2008 (i.e which Spanish universites have accepted their applications), suggest you make a decision quickly and get your application in asap if it is for the next academic year!

Last edited by noelrosie; Mar 20th 2008 at 7:31 pm. Reason: not sure which university in Seville does Erasmus, or indeed if there is more than one!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.