Reload this Page >

english family thinking of moving to costa blanca

english family thinking of moving to costa blanca

Old Jan 3rd 2015, 12:11 am
Just Joined

gems100 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default english family thinking of moving to costa blanca

Hi ya
So I've been reading your great advice for which I am grateful for. I would like to hear from any ex pats that currently have children in international schools in Valencia or Alicante. What they are like etc?
Many thanks
Gem's
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 7:41 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: english family thinking of moving to costa blanca

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 8:15 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gems100
Hi ya
So I've been reading your great advice for which I am grateful for. I would like to hear from any ex pats that currently have children in international schools in Valencia or Alicante. What they are like etc?
Many thanks
Gem's
Hi, We are in the Valencia region of Spain and moved here over 8 years ago. We have 3 children - two still at school at one now at university here.

My first question would be - what ages are your children and why an international school? All three of ours went to state school and have done well - they now speak better Spanish and Valencian than English (but it's close).
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 8:16 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

There are so many threads about moving to Spain, wouldn't be sensible to put them together in a sub-forum?
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 9:19 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, I am happy with the way the forum is currently structured.

The subject of moving to Spain can cover such a vast number of issues that threads in a sub forum would start overlapping with the same sort of subjects in the main forum.

It then gets confusing for everyone, especially as new members are likely to post in the wrong forum or possibly both and it's a moderators nightmare trying to sort that out.

Last edited by Fred James; Jan 3rd 2015 at 9:30 am.
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 10:35 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Hi, We are in the Valencia region of Spain and moved here over 8 years ago. We have 3 children - two still at school at one now at university here.

My first question would be - what ages are your children and why an international school? All three of ours went to state school and have done well - they now speak better Spanish and Valencian than English (but it's close).
Our daughter is 13 so Iam worried that we have left it too late to put her into a Spanish school - that would be my preference but I don't want to set her back too much. I only have two worries really -her schooling and the issues with land grab. Otherwise I think we would have done it by now. I have read that the important thing is to do research (hence why Iam on here) and searching the web lots. So I would welcome any advice on my concerns
Many thanks
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 10:52 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Our daughter is 13 so Iam worried that we have left it too late to put her into a Spanish school - that would be my preference but I don't want to set her back too much. I only have two worries really -her schooling and the issues with land grab. Otherwise I think we would have done it by now. I have read that the important thing is to do research (hence why Iam on here) and searching the web lots. So I would welcome any advice on my concerns
Many thanks
Your major concerns should really be financial in the first place, will you need to find jobs in almost the worst ecconomy in the EU, if so, I would seriously consider your options, you will need to look carefully at health care. I would certainly not reccomend buying a property at first, rent to see if you like the area and lifestyle it offers.
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 11:06 am
Just Joined

yes I agree and we have looked into this and would not need to work in Spain hence why we are considering this life style move. I will look into health care as this is something I have not thought of so many thanks. I just keep thinking how short life is and that we only live once but I am very aware that I do not want to mess this up!
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 11:18 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

yes I agree and we have looked into this and would not need to work in Spain hence why we are considering this life style move. I will look into health care as this is something I have not thought of so many thanks. I just keep thinking how short life is and that we only live once but I am very aware that I do not want to mess this up!
You would also be tax resident in Spain, so all your world wide earings of any sort would have to be taxed there. Not sure if you have researched the fees for International schools in the areas you are looking at, but they are considerable. You do have to consider the fact that there is no state safety net if you do get into difficulties as well, no benefit system unless you ahve been paying into the Spanish system.
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 11:27 am
Just Joined

yep lots to consider - people do do it tho so it must be achievable. will look into and re-think and consider all of you have said so thanks lots.
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 11:54 am
BE Enthusiast

davidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this pointdavidinspain is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by snikpoh

My daughter was 5 when we came to Spain and I'd totally agree state school is the best,depending where you end up living,you children may not have contact with schoolfriends after school hours and social interaction is a big factor in your childrens settling happily here.