Reload this Page >

Importing Harley to Spain

Importing Harley to Spain

Old Jan 3rd 2015, 7:06 pm
Just Joined

Eurosystem0 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Importing Harley to Spain

Hi

I want some advice from a knowledgeable biker in Spain. This not the first time I've addressed this issue but it is a while ago. So here goes! I want to import my Harley and leave it at my house in Spain. I cannot get it on to Spanish plates because it is highly modified and therefore it will not pass to Spanish import test (homolwhatever) . To bring it back to original build standard would also cost a fortune. So, if I recall the forum solution was to bring it in and stay on Brit plates. That then gives me the problem that without shipping it back and forth to UK (3-400 each way) I cannot get it UK MOT'd. As it will not have Spanish plates I cannot get it TUV'd or what ever the equivalent is. Now the UK tax discs have disappeared there is no indication on the bike its not UK legal from a Spanish police perspective.
So bottom line is:
Can I get it insured in Spain and without either UK or Spainish MOT/TUV?
Would the insurance be legal?

Does anybody have any suggestions?

In terms of usage it would be used for about a week a month so not a regular sight in towns etc.

Last edited by Eurosystem0; Jan 3rd 2015 at 7:09 pm. Reason: addition
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 7:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

lurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Importing Harley to Spain

Hi,

I am assuming it is UK registered. You CAN insure a UK registered bike in Spain, I use IBEX insurance for that purpose. If you become a resident, the new laws mean you will HAVE to matriculate it onto Spanish plates, which involves a technical inspection, followed by an ITV inspection. This may be PLUS import charges (dependant on how long you have owned it, etc.etc.) plus registration fees. In any case, it shouldn't be here for more than 12 months before you have to compulsory matriculate it, but this is almost impossible to enforce. There are possibly thousands of UK reg vehicles running around Spain in breach of this.

Can you reasonably get the bike back to a type approved state? Put the 'trick' bits back on after the test? Either way I'm afraid any insurer insists on a current MOT certificate whilst the bike is in Spain, or an ITV if you have matriculated it to Spanish plates ( Not having either will trash the value in the event of a claim anyway). So, I cannot see a way that you can lawfully use it out here without an annual test of some description. There IS an 'involuntary ITV' system in Spain, where you just present the vehicle for inspection of its safety systems but this won't cover you as per an ITV / MOT. The cost of the insurance will be MUCH more than the UK, no doubt of that, especially of its insured for 'All risks'. (Fully Comp equivalent).

The Guardia Civil Trafico are getting hotter on all this, and they are really pro active in Spain, much more than the UK Traffic Police (and I was on that 'mob' for 23 years, so trust me on that!). I know the disc has been abolished, but the record of road tax stills stands, and needs to be continuous or you will be 'busted by post' in the UK if you leave the bike registered there. Under the terms of British or Spanish Insurance , you can't SORN the bike and use it. Also bear in mind that you need to ensure the UK MID database shows the vehicle 'on cover' whilst registered to a UK address, even though its in Spain or its another 'bust by post' under continuous insurance rules. You MAY therefore (if you are a UK resident) have to have cover in the UK AND Spain to keep the wolves at bay. (Unless you are an old git and can get Saga cover that allows an unlimited 'Green card' and provided you are a UK resident will do the trick with one insurance cover.)

I honestly can't see a way around the Annual Test issue, its either get it back to the UK for an MOT (and break the 12 months in Spain rule, so that's a bonus) OR matriculate it and get it ITV'd.

Like I said, don't risk the value of the bike AND don't risk a clobbering by the Trafico!
Old Jan 3rd 2015, 10:22 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Without a current MOT you cannot tax the vehicle in the UK and DVLA will fine you unless you SORN the vehicle. Spanish Police are not stupid, they can access the UK database - so there is no hiding.

Anyone can insure with Saga, you don't have to be "an old git". You could get insurance in Spain for UK registered vehicle, but .... In the event of an accident you may have issues when they find out bike has been exported and is not legal for use in Spain.

If you want to be legal > re-register it or buy a Spanish bike.
Old Jan 4th 2015, 5:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute

Foorget the trick bits. Get in touch with your nearest spanish biker club they will help you, especially if its one of the harley clubs, there a big one close to Torrevieja I think, last year we got caught up in a 300 bike rideout in Crevillente-all Harleys and many of them customised.

Its not too long ago that there was a topic on here from someone who wanted to matriculate their Goldwing Aspencade, the problem was it had been converted to a trike. They got it done with the help of a bike shop as above. Ive even seen a trike chopper down at the itv station at Redovan, so there are ways and means.
Old Jan 4th 2015, 7:45 am
BE Enthusiast

guesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond repute

I spoke to Saga last year about insuring a car which would have been in Spain for about 9 months. Even though they say you can be abroad all year ,after our chat I was informed I would have to take the car back to the UK for a week before 6 months was up. I could then bring the car back to Spain for up to 6 months. The bottom line is they do cover you for up to a year but not continuously.