Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

English euphemisms

English euphemisms

Old Nov 20th 2012, 9:04 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default English euphemisms

My Spanish teacher and I were talking about the fact that the Spanish are very direct about saying they are going to the toilet and what they are going to do there whereas the English have a history of euphemisms. I wondered whether this varies from one area of the UK to another.

My uncle always said that he was going to Point Percy at the porcelain and one of my friends always said that she was going to twinkle.

Rosemary
Old Nov 20th 2012, 9:17 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: English euphemisms

I suppose 'toilet' is in fact a euphemism anyway.
An example of euphemism inflation.

I say that I am "going to see a man about a dog"
Old Nov 20th 2012, 9:17 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

My Irish Grandaddy sometimes said that he was "going for a pony and trap."

When I was a bit older I thought it might have been Cockney, but they never went to London and ended up in Yorkshire ... so who knows?

Going for a twinkle is not new to me and people also said "spend a penny".
Old Nov 20th 2012, 9:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

It's probably just because you don't know the Spanish ones, they have plenty the same as us. It's quite common to say simply voy al baño.
Talking of porcelain, they say "voy a visitar al señor Roca". Cambiar el agua al canario, I´ve heard. There are loads of them, some of them quite rude as would be expected.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 11:19 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

I usually have to go see my arab friend..........

mustafa ....

`
Old Nov 21st 2012, 5:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Lenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond repute

My dog is alert to a few key words. 'Whizz' means to go outside for a pee (it's all right... we live in the country). He wouldn't understand any of the others mentioned above.
Old Nov 21st 2012, 9:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

My dad goes for a tinkle (not twinkle), my mum "powders her nose" and I just go for a pee. Wish I could think of something more poetic without sounding daft - perhaps we've lost something along the way!
Old Nov 21st 2012, 10:39 am
Forum Regular

Richie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to all

In the Army we said "going to give birth to an ASM(Artificer Sergeant Major)" or officer etc, even back home in Uk it was used but the name for our local/regional rivals was inserted instead...not literally I hasten to add
Old Nov 21st 2012, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

Alectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud ofAlectryon has much to be proud of

The most common expression when I was young was 'going to shake hands with Nelson'.
Old Nov 21st 2012, 11:27 am
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

All Scottish probably, tinkle, tiddle, widdle, piddle, ben the lobby, through the hoose, little girls room, wee hoose. I think I mostly use, comfort break, comfort stop, use the facilities :-) ( posh days) and I need a pee/wee when needs MUST

Edited to add .... hahaha shakedhands with my best friend I heard a lot
Old Nov 21st 2012, 11:30 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

One I heard in Spain years ago was - voy a cambiar el aceite.

The use of the word dunny is considered very rude by some Aussies and is common parlance with others.

Shaking hands with the unemployed is one, as is, I'm off to strain 't' greens.
Old Nov 21st 2012, 11:36 am
Forum Regular

Richie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to all

Another couple are: Syphon the python and on the "shake hands" theme, shake hands with the bairns father

edit: and "shake the snake"

Last edited by Richie1892; Nov 21st 2012 at 11:46 am.
Old Nov 21st 2012, 12:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

OH says he is going to rinse vince...sounds vile.
Old Nov 21st 2012, 12:42 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pocaloca
My dad goes for a tinkle (not twinkle), my mum "powders her nose" and I just go for a pee. Wish I could think of something more poetic without sounding daft - perhaps we've lost something along the way!
more likely kicked out of people by the HR fluffy bunnies.

`
Old Nov 21st 2012, 1:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
more likely kicked out of people by the HR fluffy bunnies.

`
LOL! I had a temp job as a receptionist once and part of the HR "training" was never to say "so-and-so has just gone to the loo" (as if I would!!), but instead to say "he's not at his desk right now".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.