Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

English Driving Licence,Spanish Medical

English Driving Licence,Spanish Medical

Old Feb 2nd 2008, 7:47 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: English Driving Licence,Spanish Medical

Originally Posted by tallbob
You are correct the law is confusing one of the reasons is the EU, every member state has to fully comply with EU law, the UK for example jump to attention and comply immediately as well as licking the A** of the EU at the same time, a lot of other countries are more laid back
Spain only decided to comply with the law regarding EU licences to avoid the fines they were threatened with, so they issued a directive, if memory serves me right this has yet to make it onto the statute books, so they are having to comply, they are just unsure of how to go about it
Until this matter is cleared up I will follow the law to the best of my ability
I have residencia therfore I can drive on my English EU licence but I need to have my medical checks
There is a suggestion that once you get your licence stamped endorsed whatever at the trafico then if you loose your licence the Spanish authorities will issue you with a replacement Spanish Licence
I cannot see DVLA issuing a replacement to a Spanish address, but I know of no one who has actually tested this as I say it is only a suggestion
Read the bit at the bottom of the free beer thread, re renewals, only to a UK address.
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 7:48 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
We understand that under the latest proposals the EU are looking to outlaw medicals until you are about 70, just like the UK and some other European countries at present. We found this whilst searching for a definitive answer on this question. some day all will be clear (we can dream).
That's still unclear. They would like to do that for car drivers but not for lorries etc.

Even then, in their proposals for the new EU licence they contradict that and say that medicals for car drivers can only take place at renewal.

If you want to be even more confused you can read their proposals here

http://www.network.mag-uk.org/dld/20...licence_en.pdf

Bearing in mind that under their proposals existing licence holders will have up to 26 years to change to the new system (which is unlikely to be implemented for at least 2 years) I think we will all be dreaming for a long time!!
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 8:00 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tallbob
, so they issued a directive, if memory serves me right this has yet to make it onto the statute books, so they are having to comply, they are just unsure of how to go about it
The new rules went into effect in early 2006 when the existing law was modified by royal decree.

The details of the affected parts of the law are here

http://noticias.juridicas.com/base_d...rd62-2006.html

The medical rules have nothing to do with the EU directive. They have been in place in Spain for some time. The EU directive merely says that holders of foreign licences have to comply with local, existing rules which is where the problem occurs.

The relevant change in the law is in Article 24a which points out that licences issues in other states can become invalid if the medical rules are not followed - this is where the confusion arrises and also where the "4 year" rule appears.

Unfortunately it does not explicitly state how you are supposed to comply with regard to having a medical certificate.
Old Feb 16th 2008, 4:00 pm
Just Joined

craiginspain is an unknown quantity at this point

Is it just going to be easier for me to go to the jefatura and change my UK licence for a spanish one ?

even though they told me i didnt need to do anything at all...?

whats the point of an " E.U " if i should change my EUROPEAN licence to a Spanish one ...?

confusing stuff , im all for the easiest life , it sounds like changing it will be the easiest..
Old Feb 16th 2008, 4:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

lcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud of

Does anyone know when the new EU wide license is going to come into play?
I have heard that its to be renewed every five years,however countries like the UK & Germany that issue lifetime licenses will still be able to issue this new license for life,does anyione have more in depth info?

Also re the Spanish medical,I am visually impaired owing to an accident, in my left eye (no lens in it),and as a consequence have to wear a contact lens in my right eye. I have been declared medically fit to drive in the UK,and have a full license.
The question is;from what youve seen of the Spanish medical,would my loicense be at risk in Spain?
Old Feb 16th 2008, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by lcortez
Does anyone know when the new EU wide license is going to come into play?
I have heard that its to be renewed every five years,however countries like the UK & Germany that issue lifetime licenses will still be able to issue this new license for life,does anyione have more in depth info?

Also re the Spanish medical,I am visually impaired owing to an accident, in my left eye (no lens in it),and as a consequence have to wear a contact lens in my right eye. I have been declared medically fit to drive in the UK,and have a full license.
The question is;from what youve seen of the Spanish medical,would my loicense be at risk in Spain?
It is unlikely that the new EU licence will actually come into use before 2012.

The details of it are at:-

As for the eye problem, I have exactly the same problem. When I renewed my Spanish licence it is now endorsed with a maximum speed limit of 100kph and the licence must be renewed every 3 years.
Old Feb 16th 2008, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by craiginspain
Is it just going to be easier for me to go to the jefatura and change my UK licence for a spanish one ?

even though they told me i didnt need to do anything at all...?

whats the point of an " E.U " if i should change my EUROPEAN licence to a Spanish one ...?

confusing stuff , im all for the easiest life , it sounds like changing it will be the easiest..
You are right - exchanging it is the simplest option in the long run.

The current rules about medicals, even if you use a UK licence (which you are entitled to do) are so ambiguous that you could so easily be deemed to have an invalid licence that it is not worth the risk.

Incidentally you do not have an EU licence - you have a UK licence which conforms to the EU pattern.

As I said in my othe post, it will be some time before a true EU licence comes into being.
Old Feb 16th 2008, 10:20 pm
Just Joined

ok i think i will change it !! erm....whats the process again ?
Old Feb 16th 2008, 10:25 pm
Just Joined

i know im a pain , but i thought of something else......my licence is from 1991 , which is good when quoting insurance prices........will there be a difference if i change to a spanish one ?..
Old Feb 16th 2008, 10:29 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

i know im a pain , but i thought of something else......my licence is from 1991 , which is good when quoting insurance prices........will there be a difference if i change to a spanish one ?..
I cant remember if you're already here or not, but if you're not yet then get a letter from your present UK insurance company stating your percentage NCB and your number of years. Most Spanish ins companies will then take this into consideration when doing your quote.
Old Feb 17th 2008, 6:24 am

They only ever ask you how long you have had a licence - just because you have exchanged your licence doesn't alter that.
Old Feb 17th 2008, 10:52 am
BE Enthusiast

lcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Fred James
It is unlikely that the new EU licence will actually come into use before 2012.

The details of it are at:-

As for the eye problem, I have exactly the same problem. When I renewed my Spanish licence it is now endorsed with a maximum speed limit of 100kph and the licence must be renewed every 3 years.
Thanks for that,very usefull
Just one question,though,is the renewal an adminstrative one,or is it,as i guess,one that involves a medical,along with a chance of losing your licence if the medical is failed?
Old Feb 17th 2008, 12:17 pm

All renewals involve a medical and, yes, if you fail you cannot drive - that's why they have a medical!

In reality if you do fail you are really unfit to drive. Minor problems will more likely involve restrictions or more frequent renewals.
Old Feb 17th 2008, 6:26 pm
Just Joined

what happens to my british one if i change to a spaniosh licence ? if i have to give it up , then decide in the next couple years to go back to UK , then im stuck with no licence...?
Old Feb 17th 2008, 6:30 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

what happens to my british one if i change to a spaniosh licence ? if i have to give it up , then decide in the next couple years to go back to UK , then im stuck with no licence...?
The UK will issue another one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.