Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

English Driving Licence,Spanish Medical

English Driving Licence,Spanish Medical

Old Jan 29th 2008, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

tallbob is just really nicetallbob is just really nicetallbob is just really nicetallbob is just really nicetallbob is just really nicetallbob is just really nicetallbob is just really nicetallbob is just really nicetallbob is just really nice
Default English Driving Licence,Spanish Medical

My partner and I are going for our Medical on Friday, so we comply fully with the Spanish law that states we can drive on our UK photocard driving licences provided we have our medical and our Driving Licences stamped/noted etc
Has anyone else done this and can they tell us what to expect,judging by some drivers around here it can't be that difficult to pass
Old Jan 29th 2008, 7:07 pm
Mucho Macho

XTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: English Driving Licence,Spanish Medical

Originally Posted by tallbob
Has anyone else done this and can they tell us what to expect,
They will require a sperm sample from you Bob! The beast behind the counter handles it apparently.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

tallbob is just really nicetallbob is just really nicetallbob is just really nicetallbob is just really nicetallbob is just really nicetallbob is just really nicetallbob is just really nicetallbob is just really nicetallbob is just really nice

Originally Posted by XTreme
They will require a sperm sample from you Bob! The beast behind the counter handles it apparently.
If it is the same beast as in the medical centre I have no chance of producing any kind of sample
Old Jan 30th 2008, 9:49 pm
Mucho Macho

XTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond repute

Got to be bad when even you'd walk away Bob!

If it's any consolation Cheeky Twat saw her when he was over here....and he even said NO WAY!
Old Jan 31st 2008, 6:45 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

An interesting item appeared in the news this morning on this subject.

Drivers who have had corrective surgery on their eyes (ie Laser etc) will have to renew their licences and have an eye test every year.

It is estimated that this will affect 75000 drivers in Spain.

It is also going to affect residents who are driving on a UK licence as the medical rules already apply to them.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 6:58 pm
Just Joined

mumtofive is an unknown quantity at this point

Im glad I have seen this as my parents and sis are moving to Spain,from what I can gather they know nothing about this medical.
thanks
Old Feb 1st 2008, 12:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute

If it is the same beast as in the medical centre I have no chance of producing any kind of sample
I believe she has a hugely thick rubber glove on her hand and you bend over and she flicks a switch and hey presto....a sample
Old Feb 1st 2008, 2:20 pm
Forum Regular

I thought you would like to know how our medical went on

We arrived about 9.40 Doctor starts at 10, we took our numbered tickets and sat down, a lady in a small office takes your details and enters this onto her computer and she asks you various questions do you drink do you smoke etc,

After sitting back down in the waiting room we were called in, the previous "customer" coming out is asked by the doctor to call the next in by name

This doctor asked a lot more detailed health questions allergies, previous operations, any broken bones etc, then it was time for the sight test it had been explained to me beforehand that a lot of Spanish cannot read so the sight test was a series of square blocks with one side missing getting smaller and smaller, with your hand you point up or down or whichever side is relevant to say what side is missing

Then it was a strength test you had to grip a small device with your hand and squeeze while your arm is extended ( like it is when you are driving ) this was done on both hands

Then back to a sight test the doctor pointed at various colours and you had to say what colour they were, last of all he shone a very powerful light into your face ( to simulate headlights coming towards you ) and that was the end of the test, my partner said that the doctor could tell by her eyes she had been blinded and had to have a short eye test again, that was something I didn't need

You go back out into the waiting room and after 10 minutes or so your forms are printed out all stamped, dated and with your photo on( overstamped ) we were done, all in all it was 90 minutes

All we have to do now is go to Jefatura Provincial de Tráfico to have our English licences overstamped and we will automatically get notified when our next medical is due, as residents all we need for that is a signed form a copy of our residencia and our original english photocard licence, that is then sent away and we are given a special form to drive on until our stamped licence comes back
Old Feb 1st 2008, 3:00 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Tallbob, how much did you pay for the medical?

Incidentally you do not need a medical when you exchange or endorse your licence, you only need it when you renew it.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Fred James

Incidentally you do not need a medical when you exchange or endorse your licence, you only need it when you renew it.
We paid 30 euros each, you have to have it within 4 years and my partner has been here 7 and not bothered so she had to endorse hers so I am doing mine at the same time
Old Feb 1st 2008, 3:05 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James

Ere we go again, my UK photo licence isn't renewable for another 15 years ..................
Old Feb 1st 2008, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Ere we go again, my UK photo licence isn't renewable for another 15 years ..................
mine isn't renewable until 2024
BUT your UK licence is only legal ( if you are a resident ) if you fully comply with all the laws that Spanish drivers have to comply with and that is medicals every 5 years until you are 70 years of age
I am fully aware that every Tom Dick or Harry in your local bar or on the net says something different but believe me what I say is correct
This advice has been confirmed to me by at least 3 professional people including an English lawyer practicing in Spain and a Gestoria
Old Feb 1st 2008, 3:21 pm

We paid 30 euros each, you have to have it within 4 years and my partner has been here 7 and not bothered so she had to endorse hers so I am doing mine at the same time

Yes I should have made it clearer, if you exchange it, you do not need a medical. Your first medical is when you renew it. It's illogical but that's the law.

If you have it endorsed it is not necessary to produce a medical certificate at the time but, you are quite right, you must have one within 4 years of becoming resident if you want to drive on a UK licence, endorsed or not. As you have also said, you have to have another medical every 5 years if you are between 45 and 70.

If you are using a UK licence then you may need to prove that you have had the medical so you need to carry the certificate with your licence so make sure you don't give it to Trafico when you get your licence endorsed.

If you have a Spanish licence it is assumed that you have had the medical as it is part of the application/renewal process so you don't need to carry the certificate.

As a matter of interest, why did you choose to endorse it rather than exchange it as, ultimately, it is an easier option?
Old Feb 1st 2008, 3:51 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

but believe me what I say is correct
This advice has been confirmed to me by at least 3 professional people including an English lawyer practicing in Spain and a Gestoria

Yes I know Bob, we've been through this before mate, but it just needed to be clear
Old Feb 1st 2008, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

jimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nice

mine isn't renewable until 2024
BUT your UK licence is only legal ( if you are a resident ) if you fully comply with all the laws that Spanish drivers have to comply with and that is medicals every 5 years until you are 70 years of age
I am fully aware that every Tom Dick or Harry in your local bar or on the net says something different but believe me what I say is correct
Hi tallbob,
What happens when you reach 70 years of age?
Sensible answers only please. In big writing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.