British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   English Driving Licence,Spanish Medical (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/english-driving-licence-spanish-medical-510111/)

tallbob Jan 29th 2008 6:44 pm

English Driving Licence,Spanish Medical

My partner and I are going for our Medical on Friday, so we comply fully with the Spanish law that states we can drive on our UK photocard driving licences provided we have our medical and our Driving Licences stamped/noted etc
Has anyone else done this and can they tell us what to expect,judging by some drivers around here it can't be that difficult to pass :unsure:

XTreme Jan 29th 2008 7:07 pm

Re: English Driving Licence,Spanish Medical

Originally Posted by tallbob (Post 5854839)
Has anyone else done this and can they tell us what to expect,

They will require a sperm sample from you Bob! The beast behind the counter handles it apparently. :unsure:

tallbob Jan 29th 2008 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by XTreme (Post 5854958)
They will require a sperm sample from you Bob! The beast behind the counter handles it apparently. :unsure:

If it is the same beast as in the medical centre I have no chance of producing any kind of sample

XTreme Jan 30th 2008 9:49 pm

Got to be bad when even you'd walk away Bob!

If it's any consolation Cheeky Twat saw her when he was over here....and he even said NO WAY! :lol:

Fred James Jan 31st 2008 6:45 am

An interesting item appeared in the news this morning on this subject.

Drivers who have had corrective surgery on their eyes (ie Laser etc) will have to renew their licences and have an eye test every year.

It is estimated that this will affect 75000 drivers in Spain.

It is also going to affect residents who are driving on a UK licence as the medical rules already apply to them.

mumtofive Jan 31st 2008 6:58 pm

Im glad I have seen this as my parents and sis are moving to Spain,from what I can gather they know nothing about this medical.

TheArmChairDetective Feb 1st 2008 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by tallbob (Post 5855167)
If it is the same beast as in the medical centre I have no chance of producing any kind of sample

I believe she has a hugely thick rubber glove on her hand and you bend over and she flicks a switch and hey presto....a sample:thumbsup:

tallbob Feb 1st 2008 2:20 pm

I thought you would like to know how our medical went on

We arrived about 9.40 Doctor starts at 10, we took our numbered tickets and sat down, a lady in a small office takes your details and enters this onto her computer and she asks you various questions do you drink do you smoke etc,

After sitting back down in the waiting room we were called in, the previous "customer" coming out is asked by the doctor to call the next in by name

This doctor asked a lot more detailed health questions allergies, previous operations, any broken bones etc, then it was time for the sight test it had been explained to me beforehand that a lot of Spanish cannot read so the sight test was a series of square blocks with one side missing getting smaller and smaller, with your hand you point up or down or whichever side is relevant to say what side is missing

Then it was a strength test you had to grip a small device with your hand and squeeze while your arm is extended ( like it is when you are driving ) this was done on both hands

Then back to a sight test the doctor pointed at various colours and you had to say what colour they were, last of all he shone a very powerful light into your face ( to simulate headlights coming towards you ) and that was the end of the test, my partner said that the doctor could tell by her eyes she had been blinded and had to have a short eye test again, that was something I didn't need

You go back out into the waiting room and after 10 minutes or so your forms are printed out all stamped, dated and with your photo on( overstamped ) we were done, all in all it was 90 minutes

All we have to do now is go to Jefatura Provincial de Tráfico to have our English licences overstamped and we will automatically get notified when our next medical is due, as residents all we need for that is a signed form a copy of our residencia and our original english photocard licence, that is then sent away and we are given a special form to drive on until our stamped licence comes back

Fred James Feb 1st 2008 3:00 pm

Tallbob, how much did you pay for the medical?

Incidentally you do not need a medical when you exchange or endorse your licence, you only need it when you renew it.

tallbob Feb 1st 2008 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by Fred James (Post 5869842)

Incidentally you do not need a medical when you exchange or endorse your licence, you only need it when you renew it.

We paid 30 euros each, you have to have it within 4 years and my partner has been here 7 and not bothered so she had to endorse hers so I am doing mine at the same time

Mitzyboy Feb 1st 2008 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by Fred James (Post 5869842)

Ere we go again, my UK photo licence isn't renewable for another 15 years ..................

tallbob Feb 1st 2008 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy (Post 5869859)
Ere we go again, my UK photo licence isn't renewable for another 15 years ..................

mine isn't renewable until 2024
BUT your UK licence is only legal ( if you are a resident ) if you fully comply with all the laws that Spanish drivers have to comply with and that is medicals every 5 years until you are 70 years of age
I am fully aware that every Tom Dick or Harry in your local bar or on the net says something different but believe me what I say is correct
This advice has been confirmed to me by at least 3 professional people including an English lawyer practicing in Spain and a Gestoria

Fred James Feb 1st 2008 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by tallbob (Post 5869858)
We paid 30 euros each, you have to have it within 4 years and my partner has been here 7 and not bothered so she had to endorse hers so I am doing mine at the same time

Yes I should have made it clearer, if you exchange it, you do not need a medical. Your first medical is when you renew it. It's illogical but that's the law.

If you have it endorsed it is not necessary to produce a medical certificate at the time but, you are quite right, you must have one within 4 years of becoming resident if you want to drive on a UK licence, endorsed or not. As you have also said, you have to have another medical every 5 years if you are between 45 and 70.

If you are using a UK licence then you may need to prove that you have had the medical so you need to carry the certificate with your licence so make sure you don't give it to Trafico when you get your licence endorsed.

If you have a Spanish licence it is assumed that you have had the medical as it is part of the application/renewal process so you don't need to carry the certificate.

As a matter of interest, why did you choose to endorse it rather than exchange it as, ultimately, it is an easier option?

Mitzyboy Feb 1st 2008 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by tallbob (Post 5869896)
but believe me what I say is correct
This advice has been confirmed to me by at least 3 professional people including an English lawyer practicing in Spain and a Gestoria

Yes I know Bob, we've been through this before mate, but it just needed to be clear ;)

jimmbo Feb 1st 2008 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by tallbob (Post 5869896)
mine isn't renewable until 2024
BUT your UK licence is only legal ( if you are a resident ) if you fully comply with all the laws that Spanish drivers have to comply with and that is medicals every 5 years until you are 70 years of age
I am fully aware that every Tom Dick or Harry in your local bar or on the net says something different but believe me what I say is correct

Hi tallbob,
What happens when you reach 70 years of age?
Sensible answers only please. In big writing:D

Mitzyboy Feb 1st 2008 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by jimmbo (Post 5870102)
Hi tallbob,

Then its every 2 years

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...icence+medical

Fred James Feb 1st 2008 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by jimmbo (Post 5870102)

Hi jimmbo
When the UK licence expires it is the responsibility of the country you reside in to renew it. In other words you get a nice new Spanish licence, and yes, at that point you have to submit a medical certificate to Trafico with the application.

Casa Santo Estevo Feb 1st 2008 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by Fred James (Post 5869947)
Yes I should have made it clearer, if you exchange it, you do not need a medical. Your first medical is when you renew it. It's illogical but that's the law.

If you have it endorsed it is not necessary to produce a medical certificate at the time but, you are quite right, you must have one within 4 years of becoming resident if you want to drive on a UK licence, endorsed or not. As you have also said, you have to have another medical every 5 years if you are between 45 and 70.

If you are using a UK licence then you may need to prove that you have had the medical so you need to carry the certificate with your licence so make sure you don't give it to Trafico when you get your licence endorsed.

If you have a Spanish licence it is assumed that you have had the medical as it is part of the application/renewal process so you don't need to carry the certificate.

As a matter of interest, why did you choose to endorse it rather than exchange it as, ultimately, it is an easier option?

Fred the EU law seems to contradict what you say the Spanish must do. At the bottom of this link it state that Article 1.3 of Directive 91/439/EEC enables Member States to apply the same periods of validity and the same frequency of medical examinations for holders of driving licences issued by another Member State and having taken up normal residence in their territory as are applied to holders of national licences.’
http://ec.europa.eu/transport/home/d...faq/002_en.htm

So if you say that Spain applies a 4-year requirement for a medical certificate then they are infact breaking EU law. Or do you know something we don’t?

To answer what to do when it is lost or out of date look at this web site
http://ec.europa.eu/youreurope/nav/e..._en.html#326_4

Mitzy…have you had you Dl stamped by the Spanish authorities? If so the date on that stamp will determine when you have to have a medical. If not stamped then you are seemly breaking the Law.

jdr Feb 1st 2008 7:41 pm

I don`t think anyone really knows and pass the buck, DVLA cover their tracks by stating....

"Drivers who take up residence in another EC/EEA country no longer have to exchange their driving licence, but may continue to drive using their own national licence for as long as is remains valid. You should however check with the appropriate driving licensing authorities where you are now resident for information on any conditions that the host member state may stipulate.

tallbob Feb 1st 2008 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by Fred James (Post 5869947)

A good question and I would not say that my answer is logical
I call myself British, I hold a British passport and I am proud ( still ) to call myself British
But I have no intention of ever going back to the UK if I move from here the UK would be the last place although ultimately I may have to go back
Giving up my UK licence feels like giving up my passport I would just feel less British

XTreme Feb 1st 2008 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by tallbob (Post 5871026)
I call myself British

Everybody else calls you a Twat though Bob! :lol:

TheArmChairDetective Feb 1st 2008 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by jdr (Post 5870974)
I don`t think anyone really knows and pass the buck, DVLA cover their tracks by stating....

"Drivers who take up residence in another EC/EEA country no longer have to exchange their driving licence, but may continue to drive using their own national licence for as long as is remains valid. You should however check with the appropriate driving licensing authorities where you are now resident for information on any conditions that the host member state may stipulate.

Hmmmmm,
Spanish driver comes to Uk...Can drive on Licence.

Used to be that if the same driver stayed over the 12 months they had to swap for a UK licence and all the rules that come with it.
I forget the actual DLRegs but I believe it involves a test from provisional to full.

tallbob Feb 1st 2008 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by XTreme (Post 5871074)
Everybody else calls you a Twat though Bob! :lol:

I should have called myself English but I felt sorry for you lot stuck on the left over that bridge
Road to Hell, wasn't that what the song was called?

jdr Feb 1st 2008 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by TheArmChairDetective (Post 5871080)
Hmmmmm,
Spanish driver comes to Uk...Can drive on Licence.

Used to be that if the same driver stayed over the 12 months they had to swap for a UK licence and all the rules that come with it.
I forget the actual DLRegs but I believe it involves a test from provisional to full.

When I went to Canada, can`t remember how long I had to do it, but had to take a three part test, eyesight, roadsigns, and driving for a new BC licence.
Took all of half an hour and that included taking a photo and putting it on a licence similar to the EU one, that was in 1973. lol

Fred James Feb 1st 2008 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo (Post 5870686)
Fred the EU law seems to contradict what you say the Spanish must do. At the bottom of this link it state that Article 1.3 of Directive 91/439/EEC enables Member States to apply the same periods of validity and the same frequency of medical examinations for holders of driving licences issued by another Member State and having taken up normal residence in their territory as are applied to holders of national licences.’
http://ec.europa.eu/transport/home/d...faq/002_en.htm

So if you say that Spain applies a 4-year requirement for a medical certificate then they are infact breaking EU law. Or do you know something we don’t? .

It doesn't contradict it at all.

The Spanish choose to give you 4 years to comply - they could, under the EU directive insist that you comply immediately as that is what applies to Spanish nationals - unlike in the UK, they have a medical before a licence is issued.

Fred James Feb 1st 2008 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo (Post 5870686)
. If not stamped then you are seemly breaking the Law.

Not true. You no longer are obliged to either exchange or have your licence endorsed.

As previously stated, you do, however, have to comply with the medical requirements.

The really grey area in the law is just exactly how you have to comply with that requirement with regards to proof of medical tests when using a UK licence.

It is for that reason alone that it is by far and away the best option to exchange your licence, without a medical until renewal, rather than risk the consequences of having your licence, rightly or wrongly, declared to be invalid under these (very confusing) laws.

scampicat Feb 1st 2008 10:04 pm

The Gestor who took nearly a year to matriculate our car has now had my driving licence for exchange since September.
Why DID I bother??

Casa Santo Estevo Feb 2nd 2008 7:29 am

Originally Posted by Fred James (Post 5871423)
Not true. You no longer are obliged to either exchange or have your licence endorsed.

As previously stated, you do, however, have to comply with the medical requirements.

The really grey area in the law is just exactly how you have to comply with that requirement with regards to proof of medical tests when using a UK licence.

It is for that reason alone that it is by far and away the best option to exchange your licence, without a medical until renewal, rather than risk the consequences of having your licence, rightly or wrongly, declared to be invalid under these (very confusing) laws.

Thanks for posting your answers Fred,
Yes it is confusing to say the least.

We understand that under the latest proposals the EU are looking to outlaw medicals until you are about 70, just like the UK and some other European countries at present. We found this whilst searching for a definitive answer on this question. some day all will be clear (we can dream).

tallbob Feb 2nd 2008 7:36 am

Originally Posted by Fred James (Post 5871423)

You are correct the law is confusing one of the reasons is the EU, every member state has to fully comply with EU law, the UK for example jump to attention and comply immediately as well as licking the A** of the EU at the same time, a lot of other countries are more laid back
Spain only decided to comply with the law regarding EU licences to avoid the fines they were threatened with, so they issued a directive, if memory serves me right this has yet to make it onto the statute books, so they are having to comply, they are just unsure of how to go about it
Until this matter is cleared up I will follow the law to the best of my ability
I have residencia therfore I can drive on my English EU licence but I need to have my medical checks
There is a suggestion that once you get your licence stamped endorsed whatever at the trafico then if you loose your licence the Spanish authorities will issue you with a replacement Spanish Licence
I cannot see DVLA issuing a replacement to a Spanish address, but I know of no one who has actually tested this as I say it is only a suggestion

Casa Santo Estevo Feb 2nd 2008 7:45 am

Originally Posted by tallbob (Post 5872685)
.....I cannot see DVLA issuing a replacement to a Spanish address, but I know of no one who has actually tested this as I say it is only a suggestion

Bob if you click on the link below (posted before) it says that once you have registered your DL with your host nation (NOTE this advocates that this must be done) and you loose your licence or it expires then the host nation will issue a replacement. You then have to work to the regulations of the host nation.

http://ec.europa.eu/youreurope/nav/e...index_en.html#

jdr Feb 2nd 2008 7:47 am

You are correct the law is confusing one of the reasons is the EU, every member state has to fully comply with EU law, the UK for example jump to attention and comply immediately as well as licking the A** of the EU at the same time, a lot of other countries are more laid back
Spain only decided to comply with the law regarding EU licences to avoid the fines they were threatened with, so they issued a directive, if memory serves me right this has yet to make it onto the statute books, so they are having to comply, they are just unsure of how to go about it
Until this matter is cleared up I will follow the law to the best of my ability
I have residencia therfore I can drive on my English EU licence but I need to have my medical checks
There is a suggestion that once you get your licence stamped endorsed whatever at the trafico then if you loose your licence the Spanish authorities will issue you with a replacement Spanish Licence
I cannot see DVLA issuing a replacement to a Spanish address, but I know of no one who has actually tested this as I say it is only a suggestion

Read the bit at the bottom of the free beer thread, re renewals, only to a UK address.

Fred James Feb 2nd 2008 7:48 am

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo (Post 5872665)
We understand that under the latest proposals the EU are looking to outlaw medicals until you are about 70, just like the UK and some other European countries at present. We found this whilst searching for a definitive answer on this question. some day all will be clear (we can dream).

That's still unclear. They would like to do that for car drivers but not for lorries etc.

Even then, in their proposals for the new EU licence they contradict that and say that medicals for car drivers can only take place at renewal.

If you want to be even more confused you can read their proposals here

http://www.network.mag-uk.org/dld/20...licence_en.pdf

Bearing in mind that under their proposals existing licence holders will have up to 26 years to change to the new system (which is unlikely to be implemented for at least 2 years) I think we will all be dreaming for a long time!!

Fred James Feb 2nd 2008 8:00 am

, so they issued a directive, if memory serves me right this has yet to make it onto the statute books, so they are having to comply, they are just unsure of how to go about it

The new rules went into effect in early 2006 when the existing law was modified by royal decree.

The details of the affected parts of the law are here

http://noticias.juridicas.com/base_d...rd62-2006.html

The medical rules have nothing to do with the EU directive. They have been in place in Spain for some time. The EU directive merely says that holders of foreign licences have to comply with local, existing rules which is where the problem occurs.

The relevant change in the law is in Article 24a which points out that licences issues in other states can become invalid if the medical rules are not followed - this is where the confusion arrises and also where the "4 year" rule appears.

Unfortunately it does not explicitly state how you are supposed to comply with regard to having a medical certificate.

craiginspain Feb 16th 2008 4:00 pm

Is it just going to be easier for me to go to the jefatura and change my UK licence for a spanish one ?

even though they told me i didnt need to do anything at all...?

whats the point of an " E.U " if i should change my EUROPEAN licence to a Spanish one ...?

confusing stuff , im all for the easiest life , it sounds like changing it will be the easiest.. :huh:

lcortez Feb 16th 2008 4:37 pm

Does anyone know when the new EU wide license is going to come into play?
I have heard that its to be renewed every five years,however countries like the UK & Germany that issue lifetime licenses will still be able to issue this new license for life,does anyione have more in depth info?:)

Also re the Spanish medical,I am visually impaired owing to an accident, in my left eye (no lens in it),and as a consequence have to wear a contact lens in my right eye. I have been declared medically fit to drive in the UK,and have a full license.
The question is;from what youve seen of the Spanish medical,would my loicense be at risk in Spain?:)

Fred James Feb 16th 2008 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by lcortez (Post 5941793)
Does anyone know when the new EU wide license is going to come into play?
I have heard that its to be renewed every five years,however countries like the UK & Germany that issue lifetime licenses will still be able to issue this new license for life,does anyione have more in depth info?:)

Also re the Spanish medical,I am visually impaired owing to an accident, in my left eye (no lens in it),and as a consequence have to wear a contact lens in my right eye. I have been declared medically fit to drive in the UK,and have a full license.
The question is;from what youve seen of the Spanish medical,would my loicense be at risk in Spain?:)

It is unlikely that the new EU licence will actually come into use before 2012.

The details of it are at:-

http://www.network.mag-uk.org/dld/20...licence_en.pdf

As for the eye problem, I have exactly the same problem. When I renewed my Spanish licence it is now endorsed with a maximum speed limit of 100kph and the licence must be renewed every 3 years.

Fred James Feb 16th 2008 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by craiginspain (Post 5941685)
Is it just going to be easier for me to go to the jefatura and change my UK licence for a spanish one ?

even though they told me i didnt need to do anything at all...?

whats the point of an " E.U " if i should change my EUROPEAN licence to a Spanish one ...?

confusing stuff , im all for the easiest life , it sounds like changing it will be the easiest.. :huh:

You are right - exchanging it is the simplest option in the long run.

The current rules about medicals, even if you use a UK licence (which you are entitled to do) are so ambiguous that you could so easily be deemed to have an invalid licence that it is not worth the risk.

Incidentally you do not have an EU licence - you have a UK licence which conforms to the EU pattern.

As I said in my othe post, it will be some time before a true EU licence comes into being.

craiginspain Feb 16th 2008 10:20 pm

ok i think i will change it !! erm....whats the process again ? :o

craiginspain Feb 16th 2008 10:25 pm

i know im a pain , but i thought of something else......my licence is from 1991 , which is good when quoting insurance prices........will there be a difference if i change to a spanish one ?..

Mitzyboy Feb 16th 2008 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by craiginspain (Post 5942839)
i know im a pain , but i thought of something else......my licence is from 1991 , which is good when quoting insurance prices........will there be a difference if i change to a spanish one ?..

I cant remember if you're already here or not, but if you're not yet then get a letter from your present UK insurance company stating your percentage NCB and your number of years. Most Spanish ins companies will then take this into consideration when doing your quote.