Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

End of the 90 day rule for non residents?

End of the 90 day rule for non residents?

Old Nov 9th 2022, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute
Default End of the 90 day rule for non residents?

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/16...ymakers-eu-law

I would be very surprised if this happens but we live in a changing world!
Old Nov 9th 2022, 5:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: End of the 90 day rule for non residents?

Not going to happen.

The final sentence of the piece reads "However, this plan has been threatened for some by Brexit due to harsh limits on the length of time Britons can spend in the EU"

They are not harsh limits on Brits but the standard Schengen rules applicable to all non EU citizens - and don't forget UK asked for it!
Old Nov 9th 2022, 7:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

complete rhubarb.

And as I cant be bothered to type what i have already written on the other forum.

Hmmm. Most Holidaymakers only stay for two to three weeks.
And those with young families wont be having 5 of 6 holidays a year, so I cant see who this would be aimed at.

So its not aimed at holiday makers at all. Its aimed at the swallows and sun chasing second home owning foreigners who due to one reason or another can, no longer stay for more than 3 months at a time. (or couldnt anyway due to the rules)..

To do this across the whole of the EU is something i doubt will happen and isn't it the law (if not then the rule) That staying in any EU country for more than 90 days means you have to become a resident (even though we all know the Germans, French and Scandinavians and the others) and before Brexit us British don't and didn't bother..
Old Nov 9th 2022, 10:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

The Express has been telling us for the last decade that Britain will have an Arctic winter with ten foot snow drifts and it ain't happened and I put this nonsense firmly up there with the weather forecast.

I'd guess the 90/180 rule works well for the majority of people, even those with second homes there.
Old Nov 10th 2022, 7:06 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

I totally agree it is unlikely and would not trust the Express and hate the way they usually run anti-Spain articles but I think given the high cost of heating homes in northern Europe this winter Spain and Greece are looking for people who think they can save money by spending extended periods in warmer climes and this is probably the motivation to see if the rules can be changed.
Old Nov 10th 2022, 7:19 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bob_bob
The Express has been telling us for the last decade that Britain will have an Arctic winter with ten foot snow drifts and it ain't happened and I put this nonsense firmly up there with the weather forecast.
Indeed - a highly unreliable source.

However, it's not their story as such. As mentioned in the "article", they pinched it from iNews, who did the interview and wrote their article around that. Needless to say, it has a rather different feel to it than the version the Express managed to concoct.
Old Nov 10th 2022, 7:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Well you know what they say - why let facts stand in the way of a good story
Old Nov 10th 2022, 9:09 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

I really don't understand this.

How can Spain disregard their own residency laws which clearly state that anyone staying more than 90 days MUST register as resident.
Old Nov 10th 2022, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

I think everyone is missing the point - there is money at stake! (via Brits and others staying longer and spending more especially out of season) and given that was never enforced before....(registering for residency)
Old Nov 10th 2022, 10:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Lou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
I really don't understand this.

How can Spain disregard their own residency laws which clearly state that anyone staying more than 90 days MUST register as resident.
It's not a rule they or any other EU states gold plate. Thousands upon thousands of EU nationals spend six months at a time in Spain and other EU states and nobody cares.

This unforced rule has become a Brexit trope ie "look see, you British haven't lost anything, you could never spend more than 90 days in Spain" but we all know that's BS and there isn't one single case where an EU national has been penalised. Obviously it's a different story for third country nationals.

I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about this for two reasons. Firstly, the chances of the 90/180 day Schengen rules changing are very remote. Secondly, Brexit is going very badly in the UK and today we hear the classic quote "it's not the Brexit I wanted" from Brexiter Wolfson. I honestly think it's only a matter of time before the UK has to face the mother of all humiliations and rejoin the single market which would obviously make this a non issue.

​​​​​​
Old Nov 10th 2022, 12:28 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lou71
It's not a rule they or any other EU states gold plate. Thousands upon thousands of EU nationals spend six months at a time in Spain and other EU states and nobody cares.

This unforced rule has become a Brexit trope ie "look see, you British haven't lost anything, you could never spend more than 90 days in Spain" but we all know that's BS and there isn't one single case where an EU national has been penalised. Obviously it's a different story for third country nationals.

I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about this for two reasons. Firstly, the chances of the 90/180 day Schengen rules changing are very remote. Secondly, Brexit is going very badly in the UK and today we hear the classic quote "it's not the Brexit I wanted" from Brexiter Wolfson. I honestly think it's only a matter of time before the UK has to face the mother of all humiliations and rejoin the single market which would obviously make this a non issue.

​​​​​​
NEVER going to happen. It's more likely that the EU club collapses first.
Old Nov 10th 2022, 1:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ronnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Could happen if Scotland became independent and was fast tracked back into EU. England would suffer massively if Scotland and Ireland suddenly enjoyed free trade with EU. They would be pretty much forced to rejoin to prevent all kinds of problems.
Old Nov 10th 2022, 1:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ronnyone
Could happen if Scotland became independent and was fast tracked back into EU. England would suffer massively if Scotland and Ireland suddenly enjoyed free trade with EU. They would be pretty much forced to rejoin to prevent all kinds of problems.
We (Ireland/Republic) are in the EU:-). You mean Northern Ireland.

Last edited by Moses2013; Nov 10th 2022 at 1:49 pm.
Old Nov 10th 2022, 1:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond repute

Another clapped out trope that Brexiters have been trotting out for over 30 years. The Euro has been collapsing for about 20 years now.

If anywhere is on the verge of collapse it's the UK with Irish reunification very likely and Scottish independence very much on the cards.

Old Nov 10th 2022, 1:51 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lou71
[...]I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about this for two reasons. Firstly, the chances of the 90/180 day Schengen rules changing are very remote.[...] ​​​​​​
Possibly.

However, Spain isn't the only country which has relatively benign winters in areas which rely to some extent on tourism and whose governments have justifiable concerns about the highly seasonal nature of the sector and its effects on the labour market and local communities as a result. Those other Schengen member countries also lending their voices to a move for change, or alternatively for dispensation to issue some easy form of national long stay authorisation wouldn't necesssarily go completely unheeded.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.