Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Eligibility for State Pension

Eligibility for State Pension

Old Jan 17th 2011, 5:42 pm
Just Joined

harbour is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Eligibility for State Pension

Hi, I am writing on behalf of a friend who will be 66 this month and has lived in Spain for 30 years. Before leaving the UK he accrued approximately 18 years of National Insurance Contributions and since living in Spain and running his own business has paid in 18 years of Social Security payments. Can anyone tell me if he is likely to get a pension from Spain based on his contributions and how much this will possibly be. I know the pension rules are complex but would appreciate any information you may have. Thank you
Old Jan 17th 2011, 5:53 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Eligibility for State Pension

Originally Posted by harbour
Hi, I am writing on behalf of a friend who will be 66 this month and has lived in Spain for 30 years. Before leaving the UK he accrued approximately 18 years of National Insurance Contributions and since living in Spain and running his own business has paid in 18 years of Social Security payments. Can anyone tell me if he is likely to get a pension from Spain based on his contributions and how much this will possibly be. I know the pension rules are complex but would appreciate any information you may have. Thank you
The answer is yes, you have to have paid 15 years for a Spanish pension, and although I am not too sure about the UK one, I think that the NI is taken into consideration and increases the pension according to how much has been paid in the UK.

So its a win win situation for your buddy...
Old Jan 17th 2011, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

linjon is an unknown quantity at this point

I believe there is a pension forecaster on the UK government pensions website. Haven't looked at it for a few years as it was very depressing to realise how little I was likely to receive!!
Old Jan 17th 2011, 6:05 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

If I remember correctly, don't you have to apply to the country you last worked in?
Old Jan 17th 2011, 6:07 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
If I remember correctly, don't you have to apply to the country you last worked in?
I have heard that, and if he is 66 this month, if it was automatic is should have been sorted out by now.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 7:03 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for your swift responses. I will tell my friend and he can get it sorted out starting in Spain. Thanks again.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 8:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

petew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nice

He will get a pension from the U.K., and one from Spain.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 8:43 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petew
He will get a pension from the U.K., and one from Spain.
More from Spain and free holidays too.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 11:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
I have heard that, and if he is 66 this month, if it was automatic is should have been sorted out by now.
The UK pension is not automatic, they may or may not notify you but you still have to claim it.
The advice from them is to put the claim in two months before retirement, in my own case despite doing that it was four months after retirement before they paid anything into my bank, though they did then pay me from the date of my retirement.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 7:56 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by megmet
The UK pension is not automatic, they may or may not notify you but you still have to claim it.
The advice from them is to put the claim in two months before retirement, in my own case despite doing that it was four months after retirement before they paid anything into my bank, though they did then pay me from the date of my retirement.
If you believe what they say then it is automatic ... but you're right. My wife applied several months before it was due as we had received no notification or paperwork from them. We still didn't get the first payment on time.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 8:01 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
That is correct.

The EU page says:-

Where should I apply for my old-age pension if I have worked in more than one European country?

You should apply for your old-age pension in the country where you live, once you reach the legal retirement age there.

The pension institution in that country will then forward your pension application to the other European countries where you have accumulated pension rights.

The EUlisses site is at

http://ec.europa.eu/employment_socia.../homepage.psml
Old Jan 18th 2011, 8:02 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

I applied by phone for my State Pension in October 2009 (eligible January 2010), they told me how much it would be and that my first payment would be February 1st 2010, all went as they said and the money was there on that day for the amount they said.

This was claiming in the UK though, I don't know what happens if you have to claim your UK Pension in Spain. I tend to think it would not be straightforward as no bureaucracy is in Spain.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 10:14 am
Just Joined

Thank you all so much for the very informative information, it is really helpful and will get the ball rolling. Kindest regards.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

A friend got a state pension from Spain and she certainly didn´t work 15 years in Spain as she left when she was 18.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 11:35 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
A friend got a state pension from Spain and she certainly didn´t work 15 years in Spain as she left when she was 18.
The 15 year rule only applies if the Spanish pension is your only pension.

If you have accrued pension rights in other EU countries they all get added together so it is possible to get a pension having never met the minimum requirement in any country.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.