Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Electrician wanting to work in Spain??

Electrician wanting to work in Spain??

Old Jun 1st 2011, 6:20 pm
Just Joined

tglass is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Electrician wanting to work in Spain??

Hallo.

Just wondered if anyone has any advice for me.

Basically I'd like to find work in Spain as an electrician, I'm looking at learning the language and all that jazz.

I'm sure a lot of people write about this type of thing but if there's anything I need to know and anything that can help my cause I'd be greatful to hear it.

Cheers!
Old Jun 1st 2011, 7:43 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electrician wanting to work in Spain??

As Concierges for the Spanish section of BE we would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

The wrok situation for qualified Spanish electricians is difficult at the moment with unemployment being so high. From what people say on here your English qualifications will not be sufficient for you to be able to sign the work off. Feel sure that people with more direct knowledge will come on soon and tell you the way it is here.

Please let us know if you need any further help.

Rosemary and Graham
Old Jun 1st 2011, 9:12 pm
Just Joined

Yeah I had a feeling it'd be tough getting work because of the troubles like that.

I just got the bug for it having come back from Ibiza recently and saw all the construction work going on and thought hmmm, I wonder if I could get work out here etc.

Thanks for the reply.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 3:05 am
Just Joined

rumpuss will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by tglass
Yeah I had a feeling it'd be tough getting work because of the troubles like that.

I just got the bug for it having come back from Ibiza recently and saw all the construction work going on and thought hmmm, I wonder if I could get work out here etc.

Thanks for the reply.
A lot may depend on your age and if you have a family depending on a regular income - I don't want to discourage you but in the area we live there is a lot of local unemployment and young families going back to the U.K. as they cannot get work. It is a big step but certainly worth pursuing - is it worth finding a similar site to this for Ibiza if there is work there? Good luck and follow your dream.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 6:35 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tglass

Thanks for the reply.
The problem is whenever you see a builing site, you see workers working, what you dont see is all the other workers that are unemployed.

A bad tme to come to Spain or Islands.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 8:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS

A bad tme to come to Spain or Islands.
Yes, won't be what he wants to hear, but I would guess that at the moment your chances of getting a job in Spain as a leccy must be practically zero. Not only that the job situation is dire, but without good Spanish, Spanish qualifications (different to ours, your UK one's will be no good), the short term chances must be non existent. Certainly if that's what you want to do, I'd stay in UK for while (especially if you already have work), get your head into the Spanish books and get up to speed with the lingo first. People have done it, but without the lingo and the qualifications, you're going to struggle.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 8:54 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

It may help you to assess how different the electrics and regulations are here if I tell you that we employed a local electrician to rewire our house even though my OH is a fully qualified electrician.

Rosemary
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 9:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Until you are fluent in Spanish and are qualified in Spain I`d say you have very little chance off getting full time work, if at all.

But another idea ,if you want to live in Spain why not visit Gibraltar with your papers and talk to the construction companies there ? there`s always work going on in Gib and I`d say you stand a very good chance if you are flexible,no need to speak fluent Spanish either although I`d certainly recommend learning
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 9:23 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rotor
Until you are fluent in Spanish and are qualified in Spain I`d say you have very little chance off getting full time work, if at all.

But another idea ,if you want to live in Spain why not visit Gibraltar with your papers and talk to the construction companies there ? there`s always work going on in Gib and I`d say you stand a very good chance if you are flexible,no need to speak fluent Spanish either although I`d certainly recommend learning
Cheers I'll bear that in mind, I'm currently enrolling on a course to learn Spanish because I want to learn it for holiday purposes if nothing else, because I feel ignorant when I'm in other countries and have to try to communicate through English.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 9:25 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I can see that it's not a great time to go looking for work in Spain.
I appreciate you all taking your time to respond to me.

Keep the responses coming though, it's nice to know what obstacles I'll need to get over.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 9:49 am
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

I would suggest you go back to Ibiza and actually do some fact finding, first of all see if you can casually ask those construction workers if there is any work for electricians?????? But also find other expats in bars etc and ask them about work and living etc, Have a look around, see what its really like (not with your holiday head on), cost of things, places you would like to live and be..... Forums like this are great and you can find out alot, but ultimately its you that needs to know, we're all different and sometimes its luck that can get you what you're looking for

jo xxx
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 10:05 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

The problem with construction work s that most contracts are "fin de Obra" contracts, so when your job is done there may not be anything else, and you will find yourself unemployed with no dole, in most cases, and certainly for an newcomer who has not paid that much into the system.

The poster is hoping to get work in a proffession that by nature is and always has been precarious, even for the ones that speak the langauge, are qualifies and have a good reputation.

There may be work this month, but who knows about next month.

Obviously the best jobs to get are the "constant ones", which are fewer and far between than they once were.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 10:34 am
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

There are thousands of unemployed native, qualified, experienced tradespeople (including electricians) in Spain.

Nobody is going to employ an unqualified non fluent Spanish speaking person from another country as an electrician.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 11:05 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
I would suggest you go back to Ibiza and actually do some fact finding, first of all see if you can casually ask those construction workers if there is any work for electricians?????? But also find other expats in bars etc and ask them about work and living etc, Have a look around, see what its really like (not with your holiday head on), cost of things, places you would like to live and be..... Forums like this are great and you can find out alot, but ultimately its you that needs to know, we're all different and sometimes its luck that can get you what you're looking for

jo xxx
Yeah I would definitely do that, no way would I go out just thinking I'd get in to work straight away, it'll be a year or 2 down the line yet, need to learn the lingo and get a load of money to take for accommodation and the time I spend looking for jobs and whatnot to keep me going.
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 11:08 am
Just Joined

Out of interest, those of you who have moved to Spain, did you go looking for work, or to retire, or had a job offer then went, or whatever other reason?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.