Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

electrical license and how to get one

electrical license and how to get one

Old Aug 13th 2006, 10:02 am
Just Joined

karmos is an unknown quantity at this point
Default electrical license and how to get one

hi, i am a qualified electrician but understand i cannot work in spain without a spanish license, does anyone have any idea where to get one and do they do the test in english.

cheers mark

ps
i am in the jaen district
Old Aug 15th 2006, 12:07 pm
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: electrical license and how to get one

If you Google "electricista curso jaen" you'll turn up loads and loads of info about the courses inc distance learning. Not v likely to be in English I'd imagine though! Also try a visit to your local ayuntamiento and/or job centre to ask about courses in your area.
Old Aug 15th 2006, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

NicCol is on a distinguished road

Are the laws the same as in England ie basic electrics like light fittings can be done by a competent person but anything more complicated has to be done by a certified electrician? Or does anything go?

Thanks
Old Aug 15th 2006, 1:01 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NicCol
Are the laws the same as in England ie basic electrics like light fittings can be done by a competent person but anything more complicated has to be done by a certified electrician? Or does anything go?

Thanks
Dont be fooled by the competent person thing, if there was a problem, a fire say, H + S would give you a trade test, which no way would you pass as competent.
A similar thing with Corgi, a competent person can fit a gas boiler in their own house, but beware !
It cost me thousands to be able to do it as a business
Old Aug 15th 2006, 3:04 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NicCol

Thanks
The Spainish electrical system is totally different different form the UK system as there are no such thing as ring mains here. I was fairly competent at putting in new sockets etc in the UK, but wouldn't dare touch the spanish system. Same goes for a lot of things, had a new A/C unit put in last week, and even though he used a tester the chap putting it in managed to drill straight through a water pipe, where you would never expect a water pipe to be. :scared:
Old Aug 15th 2006, 6:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Solarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mikelincs
The Spainish electrical system is totally different different form the UK system as there are no such thing as ring mains here. I was fairly competent at putting in new sockets etc in the UK, but wouldn't dare touch the spanish system. Same goes for a lot of things, had a new A/C unit put in last week, and even though he used a tester the chap putting it in managed to drill straight through a water pipe, where you would never expect a water pipe to be. :scared:
Its pretty well regulated, but most of the info you need is here,, in truth there aint much different from the UK systems other than the distribution methodology, which to a UK sparky at first site seems crazy but when you look at it, its all pretty logical,, ( The nature of electrics i guess!)

Must say I dont like the number of connectors used or the boxes all over the place,

http://www.mtas.es/insht/legislation....htm#articulo3
Old Aug 15th 2006, 6:36 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Sounds about right, typical Spanish plumbing
Old Aug 15th 2006, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

NicCol is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info, I shall pass this on to the person who can understand it!! But it is legal for a qualified electrician from england (ie relative) to do anything with our electrics in Spain? Would we have top get any work certified by a registered person (like you say equivalent to corgi?)

Thanks again

(Hope I haven't Hijacked the thread)