Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Electrical issue

Electrical issue

Old Mar 18th 2015, 8:02 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electrical issue

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
The only dedicated circuit I have come across was one I wired myself all the others have had a normal 16 amp socket fitted below the workbench behind the oven.
However all of these had gas hobs until as mentioned I installed my own circuit.
The only safe answer to that is that all of your house wiring is in a minimum of 6mm copper cable .
Although I believe that Spanish houses tend to have a star topography rather than ring mains which would mean that your socket is on a dedicated circuit anyway. I would have thought, though, that Gib would follow IEEE regs.
Old Mar 18th 2015, 9:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeJ
The only safe answer to that is that all of your house wiring is in a minimum of 6mm copper cable .
Although I believe that Spanish houses tend to have a star topography rather than ring mains which would mean that your socket is on a dedicated circuit anyway. I would have thought, though, that Gib would follow IEEE regs.
I'm referring to the properties I had in Spain and yes they were star and not ring mains, but the oven was on the kitchen circuit , not dedicated.
When I first bought cable in La Linea I went into an electrical supplier and ask for 2.5mm and he remarked that I must be rewiring the town's mains, and they didn't stock such heavy cable.I had to settle for 1.5mm

My Gib property built about 20 years ago by a Spanish company was not fitted with a RCD, I fitted one myself.
Old Mar 18th 2015, 9:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
The plug and plug sockets for ovens and hobs are VERY different to the usual ones (they have an extra 'prong').
Not the ones I purchased in the 80's but yes I have seen them since.

However the last purchase made about 7 years ago was a hob with a 6 or 7 kw rating and was supplied with bare cables hence the dedicated circuit I referred to in post 28.
Old Mar 18th 2015, 11:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Maybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond repute

We got a quote from Endesa to install 3 phase for an instantaneous water heater 12Kw. The Price was 4000 Euros + Heater, the meter is 5 metres from the Leccy pole but they would have had to re-dig-up the road and fit a new meter. We fitted an Immersion heater and a timer, A trip to Bricomart, 2 hours work and 65 Euros,