Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Elderly Parents in Spain

Elderly Parents in Spain

Old Dec 3rd 2019, 5:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Elderly Parents in Spain

Originally Posted by Natc
Hi Carl,
Can I please ask what the outcome was with the difficult situation you found yourself in earlier this year? We have a similar situation and are completely at a loss to what we can do. My father in law is being discharged from hospital this week and there seems no option but for him to go into a Spanish care home. As there is no access to funds, we fear he will be put into a lower standard home. We think the Spanish government will take over his apartment to pay for it. It’s all very complicated, frustrating and a worry. The language barrier and not understanding the system makes it even more difficult. We would prefer for him to be here in the UK but we are unsure if he is fit to fly. We too considered driving? Any feedback much appreciated. Thanks
Hi, welcome to BE.

Carl hasn't been on the forum since 14th January, so nearly a year ago, and is highly unlikely to see your question. Can I suggest you start your own new thread with a bit more info (i.e. whereabouts your father-in-law is in Spain, how long he's been there, etc) and I'm sure our lovely forum members will try and help.

Good luck.
Old Dec 3rd 2019, 5:31 pm
Just Joined

Natc is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hi, welcome to BE.

Carl hasn't been on the forum since 14th January, so nearly a year ago, and is highly unlikely to see your question. Can I suggest you start your own new thread with a bit more info (i.e. whereabouts your father-in-law is in Spain, how long he's been there, etc) and I'm sure our lovely forum members will try and help.

Good luck.
Thank you. I’ll do that
Old Dec 4th 2019, 7:02 am
BE Forum Addict

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Elderly Parents in Spain

Originally Posted by Natc
Hi Carl,
Can I please ask what the outcome was with the difficult situation you found yourself in earlier this year? We have a similar situation and are completely at a loss to what we can do. My father in law is being discharged from hospital this week and there seems no option but for him to go into a Spanish care home. As there is no access to funds, we fear he will be put into a lower standard home. We think the Spanish government will take over his apartment to pay for it. It’s all very complicated, frustrating and a worry. The language barrier and not understanding the system makes it even more difficult. We would prefer for him to be here in the UK but we are unsure if he is fit to fly. We too considered driving? Any feedback much appreciated. Thanks
Hi natc. Just in case you see this,Friend's had this problem with the mother in law quite a few years back.When the doctors agreed they got a wheelchair for her booked trains though to the channel tunnel,If i remember right you can book sleepers or cabins on the train. they successful got home without to many problems to the uk and into hospital .I'm sorry i do not remember details and my friend has passed so can't ask him,this is just to give you an option or idea's.sorry for your problems and the best of luck.
Old Dec 4th 2019, 8:14 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

From my observation the care homes in Spain are well run and of a good standard, however the private ones are expensive.
You might want to contact them for advice? I am sure they will advise what the arrangement are for funding.

Which hospital is your father in? Have you spoken with the hospital for advice?
Whilst I was a patient in Torrevieja hospital there was a very helpful lady giving all manner of advice to patients prior to discharge.

I find the town hall are very helpful and in Rojales they have English speaking staff. You can contact them by e mail or phone see here > Ayuntamiento de Rojales | Página oficial del Ayuntamiento de Rojales

Have you considered arranging care at home for your Father in Law?
Old Dec 14th 2019, 2:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Carl H
Hi all, I am New to this site ....
I'd really appreciate any help
Kind regards Carl
My advice is get her out of here asap.
Old Dec 14th 2019, 11:52 pm
Forum Regular

cermignano is an unknown quantity at this point

Would it not just make matters worse if your relative or friend goes into a care home where they cannot communicate in the language. I would try persuading them to come to UK for a holiday at least. Using the above advice re trains or wheelchair assistance at airport. In fact if they can afford their own lightweight wheelchair, you wouldn't have to use the assistance. I met a couple at the airport when we were taking my mum back and forth with assistance. They had their own wheelchair and were able to move around freely and be helped onto the plane
Old Dec 15th 2019, 7:44 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

The OP has not been on BE since January so maybe it is time to close this thread as your posts are not being read.

Rosemary