Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

El galeón "Andalucía"

El galeón "Andalucía"

Old Feb 6th 2010, 4:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute
Default El galeón "Andalucía"

Anyone interested in the history of navigation?

There are several youtube videos to choose from about this XVIIIth century replica; here's one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ceg5DLDI-DM

and another (full sail, flags & pennants). It's a work of art & wonder!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKPsQYI7-G0

Lastly,
http://www.odielinformacion.es/index...484&Itemid=903

There will be public viewing (at Punta Umbría Astilleros?) on Wednesday 10th February, according to this news article. THIS IS A MUST SEE!

Now, as I am not a sailor, can someone explain to me how this magnificent vessel is meant to get to Sevilla? (I thought the Guadalquivir had "silted", sorry if not the correct technical phrase.) From there, the Andalucía sails, on the 28th February, to Shanghai for the Expo 2010.

Thanks in advance for any replies. (If the moderators wish to place this in both Spain forum & Ayamonte sub-forum, it would be appreciated.)

Carol
Old Feb 14th 2010, 9:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: El galeón "Andalucía"

P.S. correction to my first post: XVII century replica.

Oh it's just as well that nobody replied to my thread asking about the open day last Wednesday, seeing that it never materialised. Too rainy. We went along and did see the Galeón Andalucía at the Muelle de Levante at Huelva - no photos as the camera went on strike due to the rain.

The tourist information did say that it would be open to the public this weekend, and sure enough:
http://www.huelvainformacion.es/arti...as/galeon.html

Go along and see it! Take your Valentine with you!
Old Feb 20th 2010, 7:35 pm
Jur

Jur is an unknown quantity at this point

I´ve seen it today! Amazing job they´ve done! (sorry, no photo´s)
Old Feb 21st 2010, 12:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi Jur,
Did you see it at Huelva's Muelle de Levante, or has it sailed to Sevilla?
Were you able to go onboard?
Old Feb 21st 2010, 1:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Carol&John
Now, as I am not a sailor, can someone explain to me how this magnificent vessel is meant to get to Sevilla? (I thought the Guadalquivir had "silted", sorry if not the correct technical phrase.) From there, the Andalucía sails, on the 28th February, to Shanghai for the Expo 2010.
The Guadalquivir has not silted up, take a look on Google Earth. You can see a few ships at the wharves in Sevilla. These are giants compared to the " Andalucia"

Hi Jur how big is the " replica" engine she is fitted with ?
Old Feb 21st 2010, 1:50 pm
Jur

I´ve only stood next to it (at the Muelle in Huelva), was working so no time for boarding or other enquiries. But it´s pretty big...
Old Feb 21st 2010, 6:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
The Guadalquivir has not silted up, take a look on Google Earth. You can see a few ships at the wharves in Sevilla. These are giants compared to the " Andalucia"

Hi Jur how big is the " replica" engine she is fitted with ?
OK Fred, I'll take you for your word!
Maybe it doesn't have an engine? Wind power? Health&Safety allowing?
IIRC, the vessel is lighter due to fibreoptics instead of cables. But, like I said, I know nada.
Old Feb 21st 2010, 6:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Photo courtesy of the Huelva Información site and link:
http://www.huelvainformacion.es/arti...ma/prueba.html
Attached Thumbnails El galeón "Andalucía"-gale%C3%B3n-andaluc%C3%AD.jpg  
Old Feb 21st 2010, 6:48 pm
Jur

Found a picture as well:

Old Feb 21st 2010, 8:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

What I can not find are the details, length, breadth, tonnage, engines to drive the two propellers etc.

Anybody know where ?
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 6:07 am
Jur

Did you try Wikipedia? It says it´s powered by sail only?

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gale%C3%B3n_Andaluc%C3%ADa

Old Feb 22nd 2010, 7:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jur
Thanks for the link Jur, she is a little bigger than I was expecting.

Ref the sail only, If you look at the first link of the launching provided by Carol&John you will see the Port propeller.
Also after launch their is evidence of the starboard "A" bracket ( Shaft support ) although difficult to see.

Old Feb 22nd 2010, 7:29 am
BE Forum Addict

¡Hola Fred!
Re: figures.
There are other blogs also:
http://elblogdelgaleon.guadalquivirriodehistoria.es/
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 8:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Carol&John
¡Hola Fred!
Re: figures.
There are other blogs also:
http://elblogdelgaleon.guadalquivirriodehistoria.es/
Well done

2 engines of 350 hp.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 4:20 pm
Jur

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Thanks for the link Jur, she is a little bigger than I was expecting.

Ref the sail only, If you look at the first link of the launching provided by Carol&John you will see the Port propeller.
Also after launch their is evidence of the starboard "A" bracket ( Shaft support ) although difficult to see.

I don´t think there´s anyone alive anymore who could sail that sort of ship without the help of an engine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.