Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

El Corte Inglés V John Lewis

El Corte Inglés V John Lewis

Old Jul 29th 2009, 7:07 am
BE Enthusiast

babsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: El Corte Inglés V John Lewis

We went to the big El Corte Ingles in central Madrid at the end of 2006 and I was just so impressed. The baby/kids section was great, just a shame I couldn't have brought everything I wanted as I live far away...Shame I don't live in Spain...one day, maybe
Old Jul 29th 2009, 6:30 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
The only reason I can think why you would choose John Lewis is because it is British. As the stores are really so similar. In fact, El Corte Ingles may even be a little more upmarket

In that way, the old Q is. Why not go where the British things you like are? i.e. the UK?

I guess I am frustrated about the conversations in this forum. The opinion of those who live in Spain seems to be that Spain is a third world country, corrupt, with no jobs, unfriendly Spanairds, rubbish schools, crap food, bad TV, overpriced property etc etc... (not my experience btw)

So why on earth are you lot in Spain? Is it sun, sun, sun?
In some respects Spain is a third world country, get out and see for yourself.
And in answer to you question, yes, I am here mainly for the weather.
Anything wrong with that?

Regards

JLFS
Old Jul 29th 2009, 6:37 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

The only reason I can think why you would choose John Lewis is because it is British. As the stores are really so similar. In fact, El Corte Ingles may even be a little more upmarket

In that way, the old Q is. Why not go where the British things you like are? i.e. the UK?

I guess I am frustrated about the conversations in this forum. The opinion of those who live in Spain seems to be that Spain is a third world country, corrupt, with no jobs, unfriendly Spanairds, rubbish schools, crap food, bad TV, overpriced property etc etc... (not my experience btw)

So why on earth are you lot in Spain? Is it sun, sun, sun?
Ihave been told to add this comment by my wife.

A lot of British women like John Lewis better, because of sizing especially in underwear.
Although me mes knockers are Spanish, she says the fit is better with the standard British ABCDEF.........VUXYZ cup-

If you dont know that about bras, could it be that you are living with a very flat chested woman, or no woman at all, and this could be a major factor in youR frustration,

"Straw" would also help....................HE HE HE HE

Regards,
JLFS

Last edited by me me; Jul 29th 2009 at 7:06 pm. Reason: wanted to add a bit of friendly man to man advice
Old Jul 29th 2009, 8:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Right its gone down to personal insults now..

How dare you imply how my wife looks like, that comment suggests you have a low level of intelligence and manners

As I have said before, Spain has the 7th biggest economy in the world. So if you are calling Spain a third world country that must mean the whole world is the third world?? Except for the UK, US, Germany, France, Japan etc?

If thats what you think then your ignorance is astounding.

I have lived here for years and all around the country. The infrastructure and quality of life in the cities here is head and shoulders above that of many of the UK cities. And I am talking about Barcelona, Oviedo, San Sebastien, absolutely beautiful (and rich!) cities where the people who live there are incredibly lucky.

If you are talking about Almeria, Albacete, Alicante, Algeciras etc, then that is a different matter! It is no surprise that the Andalucians and Murcians have a long history of migrating to the North of the country or overseas. But still, so much of Andalucia is so beautiful if not a little poor at times.

What is even more astounding is that you spend a good proportion of your time on forums dissing a country you dont like. Maybe implicit of something lacking on your life?
Old Jul 29th 2009, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
I think it was the case that Galerias Preciados went bust. El Corte Ingles bought up those stores where it was profitable to do so, I believe

EDIT - Correction - El Corte Ingles did indeed take it over. Interesting reading in Wikipedia (Spanish only). It appears that the site where FNAC is now in Callao, Madrid, was the original store. Also it was a British group - MountLeigh - who controlled Galerias Preciados at the end.

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galer%C3%ADas_Preciados
Thanks, steviedeluxe. I had read the same link shortly after I'd posted my question ()
Another interesting link (well, perhaps only to me):
http://www.cosmeticsbusiness.com/sto...storycode=1016

and,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Corte_Ingl%C3%A9s

In the second link, it states that Galerias Preciados did indeed go bust, so you were correct in thinking so. I'd also forgotten that both "flagship" stores were practically nextdoor to each other - on calle Preciados. Interesting how both businesses started in the 1930's, too.

On another note, related to JLFS's post about women's sizing, it wasn't that long ago (1970's - ok that may be ages ago for some people!) when women's clothing was made primarily by seamstresses (modistas). To be able to buy clothing off the peg, with a good fit, was a bonus.
The name "El Corte Ingles" refers to the cut of the cloth (ie. tailor made), for which English (ie. British) tailors were renowned.
I used to think it was called "El Cortes Ingles", btw. That's another story...
Old Jul 30th 2009, 1:54 am
Banned

Right its gone down to personal insults now..

How dare you imply how my wife looks like, that comment suggests you have a low level of intelligence and manners

As I have said before, Spain has the 7th biggest economy in the world. So if you are calling Spain a third world country that must mean the whole world is the third world?? Except for the UK, US, Germany, France, Japan etc?

If thats what you think then your ignorance is astounding.

I have lived here for years and all around the country. The infrastructure and quality of life in the cities here is head and shoulders above that of many of the UK cities. And I am talking about Barcelona, Oviedo, San Sebastien, absolutely beautiful (and rich!) cities where the people who live there are incredibly lucky.

If you are talking about Almeria, Albacete, Alicante, Algeciras etc, then that is a different matter! It is no surprise that the Andalucians and Murcians have a long history of migrating to the North of the country or overseas. But still, so much of Andalucia is so beautiful if not a little poor at times.

What is even more astounding is that you spend a good proportion of your time on forums dissing a country you dont like. Maybe implicit of something lacking on your life?

My remarks were made tongue in cheek, so obiviously you do not appreciate the Spanish sence of humour.
I have never said that I dont like Spain, or the UK for that matter.
I have seen you, a Brit, slag off the UK on many occasions.
Why cant I have the same rights to slag off my own county and say it has some bad points.

JLFS
Old Jul 30th 2009, 2:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by me me
My remarks were made tongue in cheek, so obiviously you do not appreciate the Spanish sence of humour.
I have never said that I dont like Spain, or the UK for that matter.
I have seen you, a Brit, slag off the UK on many occasions.
Why cant I have the same rights to slag off my own county and say it has some bad points.

JLFS
Spanish sense of humour? I thought you grew up in the UK?

If I actually knew you and you said that to me in person of course it is no problem, but you havent got a clue who I am or what my experience is.

I like both UK and Spain. In fact the only country I actually dont like in the world in the US What I am against is the attitude of many here who treat Spain as some kind of inferior country to the UK. And that UK ways of doing things are THE way of doing things.

For me this attitude is antiquated, rediculous and steeped in the colonial education system which sees the UK as the centre of the universe and is happy to brainwash millions of British schoolkids into thinking this... Hence my dislike of the US
Old Jul 30th 2009, 3:26 am
Banned

Spanish sense of humour? I thought you grew up in the UK?

If I actually knew you and you said that to me in person of course it is no problem, but you havent got a clue who I am or what my experience is.

I like both UK and Spain. In fact the only country I actually dont like in the world in the US What I am against is the attitude of many here who treat Spain as some kind of inferior country to the UK. And that UK ways of doing things are THE way of doing things.

For me this attitude is antiquated, rediculous and steeped in the colonial education system which sees the UK as the centre of the universe and is happy to brainwash millions of British schoolkids into thinking this... Hence my dislike of the US
I lived in Spain till I was 7, so as far as I am concerned I am Spanish and have a Spanish scence of humour, unless you know better, of coirse.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 8:27 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

I don't understand why prefering one shop to another gets sooo tense Surely you can enjoy living in a country (warts and all ) and take a bit of criticism about your paradise! I am sort of ok. here but the country is hurtling backward it's a third world country in disguise.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 11:36 am
Banned

Originally Posted by jackytoo
I don't understand why prefering one shop to another gets sooo tense Surely you can enjoy living in a country (warts and all ) and take a bit of criticism about your paradise! I am sort of ok. here but the country is hurtling backward it's a third world country in disguise.
Too right, but you must keep the criticism to yourself.
I read lots of posts from British expats complaining about the UK, some valid, some not.
But god forbid that someone Spanish critises Spain, that is a real no no and not allowed, freedom of speech does not include the Spainish.
They have no rights, no voice, we must bow to the wisdom of some expats that know it all.
They know all about the GOOD and the GOOD about Spain, because like homosexuals in Iran, the BAD does not exist in Spain.

JLFS
Old Jul 30th 2009, 11:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute

...For me this attitude is antiquated, rediculous and steeped in the colonial education system which sees the UK as the centre of the universe and is happy to brainwash millions of British schoolkids into thinking this... Hence my dislike of the US
Perhaps it's time for another Tea Party? One lump or two?
Old Jul 30th 2009, 11:50 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Carol&John
Perhaps it's time for another Tea Party? One lump or two?
and a couple of vallium........

JLFS
Old Jul 30th 2009, 6:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Whether you or I are British or Spanish or Martian has nothing to do with it. The issue is I dont agree with you
Old Jul 30th 2009, 6:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

And by the way I wouldnt call myself an "expat" which is another colonial reference.

You can call me an immigrant if you like
Old Jul 30th 2009, 7:14 pm
CLR
Forum Regular

Location: Shetland/Granada Province and orginally the right side of the border.
CLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to all

And by the way I wouldnt call myself an "expat" which is another colonial reference.

You can call me an immigrant if you like
Hey - take a chill pill, all this starting over a discussion on 2 supermarkets!!!!!

Life is to short for this!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.