Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Economic Migrants

Economic Migrants

Old Oct 27th 2023, 8:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Ronnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Economic Migrants

An interesting view on this was giving to me from my ex who has some side jobs - one is as an phone interpreter for the government. She handles emergencies, hospitals etc but the main area is helping immigration officials and red Cross. She receives lots of calls to help with immigration interviews. She was telling me it is extremely difficult for the officers as the people are very careful about what they say and deliberately evasive. However one thing that nearly always happens is they claim they are here to only play professional football. In fact, they simply refuse to be interested in anything else such as attending Spanish classes or help integrating- it is only about football and how good they are. She was saying how frustrating it must be for everyone involved. Kind of strange story I thought and one we don't really hear.
Old Oct 27th 2023, 8:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Ronnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond repute

An interesting view on this was giving to me from my ex who has some side jobs - one is as a phone interpreter for the government. She handles emergencies, hospitals etc but the main area is helping immigration officials and red Cross. She receives lots of calls to help with immigration interviews. She was telling me it is extremely difficult for the officers as the people are very careful about what they say and deliberately evasive. However one thing that nearly always happens is they claim they are here to only play professional football. In fact, they simply refuse to be interested in anything else such as attending Spanish classes or help integrating- it is only about football and how good they are. She was saying how frustrating it must be for everyone involved. Kind of strange story I thought and one we don't really hear.
Old Oct 27th 2023, 8:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Luxurious is relative, I remember stories of of people fleeing war in Germany and they were just happy to find shelter in a horse stable. Of course these are different times, the government is still sending the wrong signals by using holiday resort hotels next to the beach and 3 to a room is actually pretty common for young lads going on holiday.

We've seen the same in Ireland and there are a several hotels that said they would close for a few months to house refugees, nearly 2 years later nothing has changed.
The owners are receiving so much money that they see no reason to reopen to the public.

Why do they think they can stay? If you have no identification documents you'll get a toleration permit, they can't be deported and this information spreads across the globe.
I agree that "luxurious"· is relative, but sharing a room with 2 other strangers, not for a short holiday with friends when you have money to go out and about and enjoy yourself, but for a month at least and yes, quite possibly longer, is not the same either. At least by using a hotel (and in other places different solutions may have been found, I just haven't seen any reports apart from this one) local authorities haven't been obliged to set up new temporary facilities which would mean them spending money and resources, and maybe taking an amenity which local residents use such as a sports hall (the kind of places which tend to be used in short term emergency situations such as after a natural disaster) out of use, but an existing building which would otherwise be closed up and empty. In other areas it may be different, but around here the lower grades of hotel tend to be very small places so probably not suitable for large groups of migrants, as I imagine housing them all in one place makes it easier for the staff working with them (from Cruz Roja, I believe, in this case) and for supervision.

What is very understandable is resentment from people already living here who are inadequately housed (I know Spanish families living in very overcrowded conditions because they either can't afford to rent or due to the housing crisis can't find anywhere to rent) or homeless (who were provided with accommodation during the lockdown to get them off the streets but had to leave again).

But what is certain is that we just haven't seen anything yet in terms of mass migration to compare with what is to come in the future as the effects of climate change grow. I may not live to see the worst of it as I doubt I'll have more than 20 years left, but things will be very different as humans compete for inhabitable space, natural resources and dwindling food and water supplies.

PS Have just seen that the PP Mayor of Torrox has disowned a Councillor for derogatory remarks made about the migrants.

El concejal de Torrox se aferra al cargo pese a la lluvia de críticas y denuncias por sus declaraciones sobre los migrantes (malagahoy.es)

Last edited by Lynn R; Oct 27th 2023 at 8:53 am.
Old Oct 27th 2023, 9:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lynn R
I agree that "luxurious"· is relative, but sharing a room with 2 other strangers, not for a short holiday with friends when you have money to go out and about and enjoy yourself, but for a month at least and yes, quite possibly longer, is not the same either. At least by using a hotel (and in other places different solutions may have been found, I just haven't seen any reports apart from this one) local authorities haven't been obliged to set up new temporary facilities which would mean them spending money and resources, and maybe taking an amenity which local residents use such as a sports hall (the kind of places which tend to be used in short term emergency situations such as after a natural disaster) out of use, but an existing building which would otherwise be closed up and empty. In other areas it may be different, but around here the lower grades of hotel tend to be very small places so probably not suitable for large groups of migrants, as I imagine housing them all in one place makes it easier for the staff working with them (from Cruz Roja, I believe, in this case) and for supervision.

What is very understandable is resentment from people already living here who are inadequately housed (I know Spanish families living in very overcrowded conditions because they either can't afford to rent or due to the housing crisis can't find anywhere to rent) or homeless (who were provided with accommodation during the lockdown to get them off the streets but had to leave again).

But what is certain is that we just haven't seen anything yet in terms of mass migration to compare with what is to come in the future as the effects of climate change grow. I may not live to see the worst of it as I doubt I'll have more than 20 years left, but things will be very different as humans compete for inhabitable space, natural resources and dwindling food and water supplies.

PS Have just seen that the PP Mayor of Torrox has disowned a Councillor for derogatory remarks made about the migrants.

El concejal de Torrox se aferra al cargo pese a la lluvia de críticas y denuncias por sus declaraciones sobre los migrantes (malagahoy.es)
I have been watching this today and of course it mixes up political agitation and day to day realities. Vox and PP focus on it as it appeals to their supporters but at the same time it is an understandable issue for local people who feel large influxes of people into these quiet areas upsets their environments. This is unfortunately often the case- it is hard to find places to house immigrants where large middle class groups live ( and are more likely to be left thinking) as they tend to congregate in small wealthy parts of cities whereas space exits in less populated, less weathy non urban areas. And this then is problem these communities feel they unfairly have to deal with. I totally understand. My son is applying to UK universities and has been informed that Scottish home students should be prepared to not be offered places as they have had to increase quotas for non national groups who such as Ukrainians and Afgans and HK. I must say I do feel that is hard and I'm a bit ambivalent about it.
Old Oct 27th 2023, 9:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R

Originally Posted by Ronnyone
I have been watching this today and of course it mixes up political agitation and day to day realities. Vox and PP focus on it as it appeals to their supporters but at the same time it is an understandable issue for local people who feel large influxes of people into these quiet areas upsets their environments. This is unfortunately often the case- it is hard to find places to house immigrants where large middle class groups live ( and are more likely to be left thinking) as they tend to congregate in small wealthy parts of cities whereas space exits in less populated, less weathy non urban areas. And this then is problem these communities feel they unfairly have to deal with. I totally understand. My son is applying to UK universities and has been informed that Scottish home students should be prepared to not be offered places as they have had to increase quotas for non national groups who such as Ukrainians and Afgans and HK. I must say I do feel that is hard and I'm a bit ambivalent about it.
I think this is the main problem and locals who might be struggling themselves can't understand why they never get the same sort of help. Instead of actually mixing things up, they always seem to make the same mistakes and create divide. In Ireland for example they are building new housing estates for Ukrainians. Why can't they for example offer one unit to a poor Irish pensioner, a local family regardless of nationality and then a few refugees. That way people would feel more equal and different groups would mix. Now you know this will be a Ukrainian suburb and the people will never leave, have their own language, shops etc..

One builder was sharing how they looked inside, I'd be happy with that:-). Unfortunately you can see that some are offended.

Last edited by Moses2013; Oct 27th 2023 at 10:09 am.
Old Oct 27th 2023, 10:16 am
BE Enthusiast

It is now clear that the EU has to take real positive action in the face of immigration. We are now almost certainly going to face mass immigration from the middle east as a result of the current events. It simply cannot be ignored. Countries like Egypt and wealthier Arab countries do not offer anything like the level of protection and tolerance as Europe does so its natural people will gravitate west. The EU can't keep kicking the can as the result is becoming more evident in the rise of right wing political groups. I just read today that Glasgow needs another 26 million pounds to house migrants who have recently been granted leave to remain yet students cannot take places at the University as there is no private accommodation available. Eventually policy will have to change.
Old Oct 27th 2023, 11:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ronnyone
It is now clear that the EU has to take real positive action in the face of immigration. We are now almost certainly going to face mass immigration from the middle east as a result of the current events. It simply cannot be ignored. Countries like Egypt and wealthier Arab countries do not offer anything like the level of protection and tolerance as Europe does so its natural people will gravitate west. The EU can't keep kicking the can as the result is becoming more evident in the rise of right wing political groups. I just read today that Glasgow needs another 26 million pounds to house migrants who have recently been granted leave to remain yet students cannot take places at the University as there is no private accommodation available. Eventually policy will have to change.
For years we have always heard that that the population in Spain is declining, but these figures were only based on current births, deaths and migration.
Might be different in the very rural parts of Spain, but I see the exact opposite and every time I go more empty plots of land have new houses. This seems to be the real picture:

The Spanish population experienced a half-million growth between July 2022 and July 2023, which was driven by families of foreign nationality, accounting for 97.48 per cent of the total growth.
https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/new...total%20growth.
Old Oct 27th 2023, 7:08 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by VFR
According to that link of twaddle you posted I should have said Migrant, but I see that you failed to mention that one in your summary (but you knew that of course)
It also says this:

Those arriving at the U.S. border are being depicted as “illegal immigrants,” but in reality, crossing an international border for asylum is not illegal and an asylum seeker’s case must be heard, according to U.S. and international law.
Old Oct 29th 2023, 8:11 am
BE Enthusiast

rspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond repute

“For years we have always heard that that the population in Spain is declining, but these figures were only based on current births, deaths and migration.
Might be different in the very rural parts of Spain, but I see the exact opposite and every time I go more empty plots of land have new houses. This seems to be the real picture:”. If you look at the methodology of the Continuous Population Survey you will see that is based on official figures and is at best an estimate and at worse a guess. I’m afraid most European countries don’t have a clue how many people there are in their various countries.
Old Oct 29th 2023, 7:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by rspltd
If you look at the methodology of the Continuous Population Survey you will see that is based on official figures and is at best an estimate and at worse a guess. I’m afraid most European countries don’t have a clue how many people there are in their various countries.
Unfortunately you are probably right there and the true figures are just a guess. I was just watching news and it seems the German Chancellor is under pressure and is trying to strike a deal with African countries. Luckily Spain has one of the most generous pensions in Europe, I just fear that Spanish are heading in the same direction as many other countries.
When the Chancellor sets off on his African trip to Nigeria and Ghana this Sunday , he will be haunted by a promise he made to the German people a few days ago. In an interview with Spiegel, Olaf Scholz (SPD) said when asked about possible solutions in migration policy: "We finally have to deport on a large scale those who have no right to stay in Germany ." Anyone who cannot rely on reasons for protection and has no prospects of staying must leave. The federal government is under massive pressure on this issue. For months, migration has been one of the topics that Germans are most worried about. The number of asylum applications for 2023 is already higher (as of October) than for the whole of 2022. Municipalities in particular are sounding the alarm, saying they have reached their limits.
Old Oct 29th 2023, 9:27 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DLC
It also says this:
So what ?
The facts are that the vast bulk are economic migrants & like the EU have passed through many countries (paid for by who ?) to reach their destination of choice.
Old Nov 1st 2023, 9:37 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

I understand three languages but I can't understand this message.
Old Nov 1st 2023, 10:13 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DLC
I understand three languages but I can't understand this message.
Try re-reading what “you” quoted on post 23 then and that was what I was responding to.
Old Nov 1st 2023, 11:56 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by VFR
Try re-reading what “you” quoted on post 23 then and that was what I was responding to.
And you replied with this:

the vast bulk are economic migrants & like the EU have passed through many countries
I mean, what do you want me to say apart from "what does this word salad even mean"?
Old Nov 2nd 2023, 11:08 am
VFR
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DLC
And you replied with this:

I mean, what do you want me to say apart from "what does this word salad even mean"?
I do not want you to say anything nor did I ask.
See that you have used the popular easy to go to expression for those who do not understand things so I will “try” to help.

The site you linked was predominately talking about migrants into the US and it is well known that the vast bulk of these migrants have only one destination in mind, the USA.
They could well have passed through Shangri-la on the way but they have only one place in mind, well bugger me they sounds just like the untold thousands who have been crossing the channel over the past few decades.
Someone really seeking asylum would be happy to reach the vast bulk of any EU country but no they have just one destination in mind & you know where so it is clear that they are economic migrants.
Known to most as illegal immigrants.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.