Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Is It Easy To Fit In!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is It Easy To Fit In!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Aug 16th 2006, 9:47 pm
Just Joined

Bopsy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is It Easy To Fit In!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Maya001
Hola, my children are all at school in Coin. They started here in September 2004 aged 12, 8 and 5. We expected it to be most difficult on our 12 year old daughter but it was actually our 5 year old that struggled the most - he was scared he'd forget English and just wouldn't speak Spanish at all even though he mastered understanding it quite quickly.

All 3 are now settled in really well, love it and are doing really well. My daughter (now aged 14) had trouble from other English kids at the 'upper' school when she first started because most of them didn't want to be in Spain. They couldn't understand why she hung around with Spanish kids or why she enjoyed speaking Spanish. Most of those kids moved on long ago and the 'new' English kids have no idea that she's English and she prefers to keep it that way.

Our middle son (now aged 10) had no problems whatsoever right from the start and just threw himself into learning Spanish and making friends.

I think it helps because we live in town rather than campo and they get to meet up with all their friends after school and at weekends. I've met lots of English ppl here who live in the campo and their kids feel a bit isolated and don't pick up the language as quick because they only get to hear it/speak it whilst at school.
Hi there, glad to hear your kids have fitted in well generally, do you as adults have any regrets? Bye for now
Old Aug 17th 2006, 7:39 pm
jennydor

jennydor will become famous soon enoughjennydor will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Is It Easy To Fit In!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Bopsy
Hi there, glad to hear your kids have fitted in well generally, do you as adults have any regrets? Bye for now
I have only one regret and that is that I didnt move here sooner, we kept getting advice on maybe putting it off, and what if it doesnt work out etc.
but we did it eventually and glad to be here.