British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Earthquake in Murcia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/earthquake-murcia-716640/)

Relampago May 14th 2011 9:58 am

Re: Earthquake in Murcia

Also, I forgot to appoint other features. The earthquake was 5.2 and occurred under or very near the city and only one kilometer deep. If add that the land on which the city is built is sandy (stone absorbs the waves) and Lorca is a city with plenty of medieval heritage, it is miraculous that there were not more victims. Only a few old buildings and others with centuries-old may have collapsed. Lorca is a medieval village. It is a very old city

Dick Dasterdly May 20th 2011 7:34 pm

Some very sad sights in Lorca today with homes being demolished.
One report showed what appeared to be a modern four or five storey apartment block being smashed down room by room from top to bottom.
Some very upset ex occupiers were watching as their precious possessions all came down and were destroyed in the rubble.
I can only presume that it had been too dangerous to allow anyone in to retrieve or salvage them.
All very sad.

Oh, by the way enjoy your evening, as apparently the World ends tomorrow and we will all be swallowed up in one giant worldwide earthquake.

http://news.uk.msn.com/world/article...ntid=157648485

Think I'll just pour myself a brandy.

jimenato May 20th 2011 8:44 pm

Yes, but it's a 'Rolling Rapture'. It occurs at 1800 local time.

I would be selling tickets to a Rapture Party where on the dot of 6pm the believers toss all their cash on the floor, I push the button to open the retracting roof, the believers get raptured (or whatever) up to heaven unrestricted and we all get pissed.

But unfortunately it coincides with the start of the Heineken Cup final here.;)

JLFS May 20th 2011 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 9377861)
Some very sad sights in Lorca today with homes being demolished.
One report showed what appeared to be a modern four or five storey apartment block being smashed down room by room from top to bottom.
Some very upset ex occupiers were watching as their precious possessions all came down and were destroyed in the rubble.
I can only presume that it had been too dangerous to allow anyone in to retrieve or salvage them.
All very sad.

Oh, by the way enjoy your evening, as apparently the World ends tomorrow and we will all be swallowed up in one giant worldwide earthquake.

http://news.uk.msn.com/world/article...ntid=157648485

Think I'll just pour myself a brandy.

Oh well, I will say goodbye now to all my fellow posters on BE.

Thank you all, for all the funny, interesting, informative post that I have read during my time here.

Wherever you are I wish you all the best, enjoy tomorrow, spend what you can while you can, eat till you burst, drink till you drop, and **** untill you collapse in a heap of quivering jelly, in any order of prefenence you choose.

Those who are hoping and trying to sell a property, wont have the hassle, those who are thinking about moving back to the UK, wont have to bother looking for a man and van,and you wont have to worry about sueing the incompetent removel men that lose/break you belongings.

Those who are down to their last few euros, wont have to worry how to pay the bills.

So farewell guy, been nice knowing you all.

XXXXXXXXXXX

Dick Dasterdly May 20th 2011 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 9377944)
Yes, but it's a 'Rolling Rapture'. It occurs at 1800 local time.

I would be selling tickets to a Rapture Party where on the dot of 6pm the believers toss all their cash on the floor, I push the button to open the retracting roof, the believers get raptured (or whatever) up to heaven unrestricted and we all get pissed.

But unfortunately it coincides with the start of the Heineken Cup final here.;)

That should be interesting to watch,especially when a hole appears in the middle of the pitch, ever increasing in size until it swallows up both sets of players,officials,spectators and eventually camera crews and all.

At least when your screen goes black you'll know whats happened, so just be sure theres no outstanding tabs at kick-off time.

jimenato May 20th 2011 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by JLFS (Post 9377981)
Oh well, I will say goodbye now to all my fellow posters on BE.

Thank you all, for all the funny, interesting, informative post that I have read during my time here.

Wherever you are I wish you all the best, enjoy tomorrow, spend what you can while you can, eat till you burst, drink till you drop, and **** untill you collapse in a heap of quivering jelly, in any order of prefenence you choose.

Those who are hoping and trying to sell a property, wont have the hassle, those who are thinking about moving back to the UK, wont have to bother looking for a man and van,and you wont have to worry about sueing the incompetent removel men that lose/break you belongings.

Those who are down to their last few euros, wont have to worry how to pay the bills.

So farewell guy, been nice knowing you all.

XXXXXXXXXXX

See you tomorrow - same time - same place:)

JLFS May 20th 2011 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 9378138)
See you tomorrow - same time - same place:)

Are you sure????????????????????:fingerscrossed::fingerscr ossed:

jimenato May 20th 2011 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by JLFS (Post 9378140)
Are you sure????????????????????:fingerscrossed::fingerscr ossed:

:thumbup: Some people believe this stuff though. Apparently pets don't get raptured so some bloke has been collecting money to look after people's pets after they've been raptured - he's collected thousands so far:blink::rofl:

Dick Dasterdly May 20th 2011 10:47 pm

Ahhhh, I think I feel something is moving.

Like a tremendous force and a loud rumbling down below.

I'm getting outa here fast,before it gets any worse.......Ahhh......

Ahh, thats better, those two senopods I took yesterday have finally worked. :rofl:

JLFS May 20th 2011 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 9378153)
:thumbup: Some people believe this stuff though. Apparently pets don't get raptured so some bloke has been collecting money to look after people's pets after they've been raptured - he's collected thousands so far:blink::rofl:

I am pretending to believe in the end.

It will give me an excuse to have a blow out, without my marida coming down to hard on me, after all I am facing possible death in the only way I know how.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I suggest other down trodden, under the thumb like myself, use tomorrow as an excuse, you may never get another chance.:thumbsup:

JLFS May 20th 2011 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 9378170)
Ahhhh, I think I feel something is moving.

Like a tremendous force and a loud rumbling down below.

I'm getting outa here fast,before it gets any worse.......Ahhh......

Ahh, thats better, those two senopods I took yesterday have finally worked. :rofl:

Look, dont go frightening people, when all it was only a dodgy vindaloo.

That is not cricket, and at this crucial stage in all our lives, I am very dissapointed in your frivolity.

:blink::blink:

jimenato May 20th 2011 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by JLFS (Post 9378180)
I am pretending to believe in the end.

It will give me an excuse to have a blow out, without my marida coming down to hard on me, after all I am facing possible death in the only way I know how.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I suggest other down trodden, under the thumb like myself, use tomorrow as an excuse, you may never get another chance.:thumbsup:

I hate to bring this up at such a time but is that a proper word?:confused:

lynnxa May 21st 2011 5:31 am

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 9378209)

no it isn't - but I'm not arguing with a Spaniard:ohmy:

don't you think it should be though - so much nicer than the traditional mujer - my husband loves that one - he gets to call me his woman:frown:

or even esposa which seems to be being used by the younger generations

JLFS May 21st 2011 5:43 am

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 9378209)

What do you think????;);)

Dick Dasterdly May 21st 2011 5:59 am

Originally Posted by JLFS (Post 9378551)
What do you think????;);)

You do mean 'er indoors,............don't you ? :confused: