British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Earthquake in Murcia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/earthquake-murcia-716640/)

The4BellsLondon May 12th 2011 3:42 am

Re: Earthquake in Murcia

OOOh - just saw this on Canadian News - my parents have a place in LA Manga but are back in the UK at present , so not sure if it was felt there- about 100k away.

rugbymatt May 12th 2011 5:43 am

Hope everyone is safe, BBC news hardly covered the story this morning, very odd the way they report things!

ononno May 12th 2011 6:29 am

:(The weird thing is that here in Italy, doom mongers had predicted a serious earthquake in Rome for May 11th.
My thoughts are with all of you in Spain, and especially the victims families in Lorca.
'o nonno

mikelincs May 12th 2011 6:47 am

This is currently on Yahoo.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/four-dead-s...181416888.html

Dick Dasterdly May 12th 2011 8:28 am

I suppose this incident demonstrates that the actual magnitude of an earthquake is not always the crucial factor, but how close the epicentre is to a populated area and how shallow beneath the surface.

I may be wrong, but I get the impression that the number of natural disasters both large and small, from either earthquakes or extremes of weather seems to have increased dramatically in recent years.

Wonder if anyone else is of the same opinion ?

Fredbargate May 12th 2011 8:54 am

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 9359365)
I may be wrong, but I get the impression that the number of natural disasters both large and small, from either earthquakes or extremes of weather seems to have increased dramatically in recent years.

Wonder if anyone else is of the same opinion ?

24 hour news ?

Internet ?

More phones ?

More cameras ?

Richter May 12th 2011 9:03 am

Next world earthquakes-forecast

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 9358047)
Just been an arthquake in Lorca, Murcia, only 4.5 on the scale, but seems to have done serious damage to a fine historic old church, which looks to be a complete write-off with the top section having fallen down and vertical cracks throughout the walls.

Just been another one slightly stronger causing some further damage through the town.

======================
Dear Mr.,

I sent to you some earthquake forecast and please evaluate.
Forecast for Sicily,Italy:
1. Date: May 28 2011
2. Time: 4h (GMT)
3. Magnitude: M5.3
4. Location: Sicily, Lat: 38.62; Long: 14.05
5. Probability: 100 %
6. Error: 300 km and 20h
========================================
Forecast for Puerto Rico:
1. Date: May 13, 2011
2. Time: 19h (GMT)
3. Location: Lat: 18.88; Long: -64.64
4. Magnitude: M5.5
5. Probability: 100%
6. Error: 300 km and 20h

Analize this:
The interval between two strong quakes in Japan from 11 March 5h 46m and
7 April 14h 32m exactly 27d 8h 46m.
Time for a tour of the Moon around the Earth exactly 27d 7h 43m.
The difference is just 1h 03m.
I ask: Who makes earthquakes?
H.A.A.R.P, Tectonic plates or the moon?
===============================================
This represents a precursor of earthquakes, which is described in the scientific literature.
Please, organize Global competition Forecasting earthquakes.

Boyko Iliev

ononno May 12th 2011 10:20 am

:ohmy:but you didn't forecast this morning's eruption of Mount Etna in Sicily.
See spectacular video on RAI News 24 website.
'o nonno

Dick Dasterdly May 12th 2011 10:43 am

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 9359414)
24 hour news ?

Internet ?

More phones ?

More cameras ?

A popular theory, but I'm not so sure about it.

Just watching a news report that appears to indicate that 80% of properties in the town have been affected to some degree.

Seems Lorca itself is slap on top of a fault line and an exceptionally high risk area.

Be surprised if some of the population don't leave altogether.
I don't think I'd hang around there given the choice.
Having seen the remnants of some previously affected occurrences, I would never even consider buying a property in a high risk area myself.

EsuriJohn May 12th 2011 11:48 am

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 9359566)
A popular theory, but I'm not so sure about it.

Just watching a news report that appears to indicate that 80% of properties in the town have been affected to some degree.

Seems Lorca itself is slap on top of a fault line and an exceptionally high risk area.

Be surprised if some of the population don't leave altogether.
I don't think I'd hang around there given the choice.
Having seen the remnants of some previously affected occurrences, I would never even consider buying a property in a high risk area myself.

We live in Ayamonte Huelva and this is where the worst quake in Spain happened. Every year there are quakes in Portugal and some are pretty high on the Richter scale. We are happy with our choice.

In 2005 there was another quake, measuring 4.6 and centered in the upper districts of Lorca and the town of Bullas, no reported personal injury, although damage was caused in a number of houses. The previous largest recorded earthquake occurred in Spain in 1969 that left 19 dead in Huelva.

Dick Dasterdly May 12th 2011 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by John & Kath (Post 9359678)
We live in Ayamonte Huelva and this is where the worst quake in Spain happened. Every year there are quakes in Portugal and some are pretty high on the Richter scale. We are happy with our choice.

In 2005 there was another quake, measuring 4.6 and centered in the upper districts of Lorca and the town of Bullas, no reported personal injury, although damage was caused in a number of houses. The previous largest recorded earthquake occurred in Spain in 1969 that left 19 dead in Huelva.

Not the worst in Spain by a long long way, nor one of the highest risk areas.
However just because it hasn't happened lately doesn't guarantee it never will. In fact the reverse is more likely to be the case.

http://www.iberianature.com/material/earthquake.htm

jdr May 12th 2011 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9358703)
That's why I said all our members...'cos we have members from many nationalities.

Originally Posted by Sue (Post 9358845)
I second that.
Yes we do indeed.

We even have cockernees :D

jdr May 12th 2011 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by rugbymatt (Post 9359129)
Hope everyone is safe, BBC news hardly covered the story this morning, very odd the way they report things!

Yeah strange how they were so late, it was live on Spanish news and nearly took out the film crew in the second shake. :eek:

Fred James May 12th 2011 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 9360025)
Not the worst in Spain by a long long way, nor one of the highest risk areas.
However just because it hasn't happened lately doesn't guarantee it never will. In fact the reverse is more likely to be the case.

http://www.iberianature.com/material/earthquake.htm

The famous Lisbon earthquake, while not having it's epicentre in Spain, killed loads of people in Spain, especially from the tsunami that it created.

We live right in the worse area, Granada province, but our house was built to the new standards which take into account the risks from earthquakes in the area and it was built accordingly.

When it was built, I could not believe the amount of steel and cement that went into the foundations.

houdini1 May 12th 2011 4:35 pm

Hi everybody. Terrible event for all concerned. Swiss newspapers featured it prominently this morning with pictures. I have a question : Does house insurance cover the poor people who lost or had their properties damaged ? Or is it simply force majeur and simply tough luck ?