Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

EARLY RETIREE ACCESS TO SPANISH HEALTHCARE

EARLY RETIREE ACCESS TO SPANISH HEALTHCARE

Old Apr 14th 2017, 6:26 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EARLY RETIREE ACCESS TO SPANISH HEALTHCARE

Originally Posted by MichaelandMaz
We are looking at moving to Spain this year but confused about health insurance. Some companies want to charge nearly £600 per month for me and my wife. This makes it in-viable. How would we access the Spanish system? Help.
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Apr 14th 2017, 6:29 pm
Just Joined

MichaelandMaz is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Rosemary
Old Apr 15th 2017, 4:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

lurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond repute

Both,

Many thanks for your thanks! Just to say, when its important ALWAYS take PROFESSIONAL advice before you commit. I wish you all the best, if I can help as we have recently been in your position and have the 'fresh' whys and wherefores, shout! Above all, good luck and its a wonderful life / place here. Go for it!
Old Apr 15th 2017, 4:47 pm
Just Joined

Hi Rosemary
We are not new to moving abroad having lived in America and Canada in our time, but each country is different. We also have relatives in Spain, so I'm hoping we can negotiate the many pitfalls
Thanks for your comments and I have no doubt that we will be in contact in the future
Regards
Mike and Marcia (Maz)
Old Apr 15th 2017, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

VEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond repute

Within the last twelve months I have joined the Convenio Especial.

I am an early retiree without S1.
It costs me 60 Euro per month.
I needed to have been on the Padron for the preceding 12 months.
I needed the "non-entitlement" letter from Newcastle.
I had not taken out private health care prior to this.
I did not have "Residencia" / registered on the foreigners list.

After receiving my SIP card I then used that to support my application to register as a foreigner / "get residencia"

In Valencia region
Old Apr 27th 2017, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

jimbob66 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm in Spain with my Non_EU wife and we are approaching the 90 day mark. We have been advised by a Spanish lawyer that private medical insurance is needed to start the formal residence process and that it must be at a level that covers the whole of Spain and not just the province in which we live. We have had a number of quotes from a range of companies and despite asking the question about which plan is suitable for residencia, the answers are far from clear. For example, DKV, for us a very competitive basic quote and we were told that it was suitable for residence as long as the province agreed that we could meet the co-payments. Sanitas told us only one plan was suitable and refused to give any info about cheaper options. So the story goes on and that's before I've completed the detailed proposal form that I will have to disclose about earlier blood clots ( no ongoing treatment fortunately). Our dilemma. I will be 65 in September so we both can be covered by the S1 form, so do we just continue chancing it and perhaps using the EHIC cards? I know they are for 90 days but who knows the date that you came to Spain, there was nothing registered at the airport? Our lawyer says it's our choice and a delay won't affect residency applications in September. However, we are also looking at the possibility of the Surinder Singh route on the basis of self-sufficiency ( in line with the EU reg changes of Nov 2016).I'm wondering if the UK govt will argue that I didn't meet the self sufficiency requirement because I hadn't taken out private med insurance? T be clear, we would take it out if it was just for the period from the end of the 980 days up to my 65th birthday, i.e, 3.5 months, but all companies say a 12 month contract is the minimum with no cancellation rights.
Old Apr 27th 2017, 5:40 pm
Just Joined

Hi Jimbob 66
I have looked at getting 12 months insurance to cover us whilst applying for residency approx £2500 per anum for both of us, which I think is reasonable for 12 months. I'm also looking at setting up a company doing consultancy work. This, if I understand correctly means that we can automatically enroll for the Spanish health system. Still got more digging to do.
Regards
Mike