Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

EARLY RETIREE ACCESS TO SPANISH HEALTHCARE

EARLY RETIREE ACCESS TO SPANISH HEALTHCARE

Old Dec 2nd 2016, 9:24 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute
Default EARLY RETIREE ACCESS TO SPANISH HEALTHCARE

Persons who are early retirees and resident in Spain may be able to access the healthcare system for free if they registered for residencia prior to April 24th 2012.

This is not a new entitlement but if you are interested in further details PM me and I will send you a recent article reminding people about this option.
Old Dec 2nd 2016, 10:14 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EARLY RETIREE ACCESS TO SPANISH HEALTHCARE

Would it be possible for you to put a link to the article on here as I am sure that it would be of interest to a lot of members.

Rosemary
Old Dec 2nd 2016, 11:55 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

This is nothing new and has been discussed on here before (ISTR).

I will see if I can find the previous thread but a new link would also be good.
Old Dec 2nd 2016, 11:57 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I did say its not new but some people are still unaware as I was explaining to some the other day and I thought it worth mentioning again so that anybody entitled can claim in case these rules change again.
Old Apr 13th 2017, 3:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

Don't know the details (I can find out) but early retiree friends of mine moved to Spain just under 2 years ago and were able to join the health system without any particular difficulty.
Old Apr 13th 2017, 6:11 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spainrico
Yes I did say its not new but some people are still unaware as I was explaining to some the other day and I thought it worth mentioning again so that anybody entitled can claim in case these rules change again.
Which is great, but as per Rosemary's post above, please do put the link on the forum so that all can benefit, rather than asking people to PM you for it.

Thanks.

Old Apr 13th 2017, 1:37 pm
Just Joined

MichaelandMaz is an unknown quantity at this point

We are looking at moving to Spain this year but confused about health insurance. Some companies want to charge nearly £600 per month for me and my wife. This makes it in-viable. How would we access the Spanish system? Help.
Old Apr 13th 2017, 2:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

The article is here

https://spainreexposed.files.wordpre...e-dec-2016.pdf

A SIP card is used in Alicante region to access public health care services but the application process covers all of Spain and it works as I have successfully applied as have several other friends. (Sorry this took so long to post, I only saw the request to post a link today)

Last edited by spainrico; Apr 13th 2017 at 2:25 pm.
Old Apr 13th 2017, 2:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Michaeland Maz - suggest you research here

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/healthcare-in-spain
Old Apr 13th 2017, 3:06 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the info spainrico that has put my mind at rest
Old Apr 14th 2017, 1:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

lurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond repute

The only thing, as an early retiree with no S1, Contract etc.etc. is that to qualify for the Convenio Especial (That's the 'buy in' to the Spanish NHS) You will need to prove that you have been 'resident' (i.e. registered as 'Residencia') for at least 12 months AND on the Padron for 12 months.
Simply put, TODAYS early retirees will almost always need PRIVATE medical insurance to get 'Residencia' and start the clock running towards the Convenio Especial 12 months later.

And yes, we have recently been all the way through this process, so no speculation here.

Good luck to you, hope it works out.
Old Apr 14th 2017, 2:01 pm
Just Joined

Hi Lurchio
If I understand what you are saying, we could use the 3 months tourist insurance whilst we move, register etc and then take out 12 months private medical insurance to cover us until we qualify for the Convenio Especial.
Did you use a lawyer or did you do it yourself?
Old Apr 14th 2017, 2:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

lurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, 'Tourist Insurance' is not accepted for Registering. Best advice, take out the Full Private Medical cover and THEN 'Register' ASAP using that to get the 'clock running' towards the Convenio Especial. It HAS to be equivalent to Spanish NHS cover, and include Hospital Cover etc. Get quotes from Spanish health Insurers, Sanitas, Adeslas etc. etc. Its far cheaper (providing you have no health complications, obviously) than getting it in the UK.

Secret is to research and then shop around. Ask the Insurance broker / Company the DIRECT question, 'Is this suitable for Registering, Yes or No?'

Good news is that the Convenio Especial is NOT linked to you being a 'EU Citizen', as long as you are meet the conditions and 12 month rule are accepted and pay, you can be American, Canadian or in fact any Nationality.

REMEMBER, when you do go for the Convenio, you will have to get a letter from the DWP UK stating that you, as a resident of Spain, are NOT eligible for UK NHS care any more . That WILL also officially remove you from the UK NHS, and unless you are over 65, you will have to take travel insurance to visit the UK. An EHIC issued by Spain is NOT part of the Convenio, nor are any prescriptions costs or non emergency Ambulance travel.

ALL pre existing conditions are, though!
Old Apr 14th 2017, 2:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

And yes, you can do it yourself or use a Gestor. You may need to separately research the whole thing if you are intending on moving to the Valencia region, currently there may be more favourable healthcare rules there, check for the exact situation for your timing and needs.
Old Apr 14th 2017, 6:14 pm
Just Joined

Hi Lurchio
Thank you for your guidance it is very much appreciated and hope in the future I could ask other question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.