Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

DVD's in Hire shops

DVD's in Hire shops

Old Jul 12th 2006, 9:56 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default DVD's in Hire shops

This is probably going to be a stupid question, but I like watching films and will go to dvd hire shops hopefully, but do all DVD's have the option of English Language on them?

I know you can choose your language on hire DVD's in the UK so I was assuming its the same for mainline films on hire in Spain

I wanted to keep my SKY which would alleviate the need, but as it seems I will need a 2.4 m dish I'm a bit worried as I will be living half way up a hill on the frontline and we get some very very strong winds up there from time to time

Thanks
Old Jul 12th 2006, 10:02 am
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DVD's in Hire shops

Hi Mitzyboy

I buy DVD's here and you can change the language on them, it tells you on the back what language they have and I know rentals are the same, quite a few friends here rent and change the language. So no problem

pwwm
Old Jul 12th 2006, 10:04 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pwwm
Hi Mitzyboy

I buy DVD's here and you can change the language on them, it tells you on the back what language they have and I know rentals are the same, quite a few friends here rent and change the language. So no problem

pwwm
Thats good .... although they are not so up to date as SKY always, it alleviates the worry maybe of seeing my 2.4 mtr sky dish dissapearing into the valley below and decapitating some poor farmer!
Old Jul 12th 2006, 10:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of

NOT all DVDs have the option of English language ;
most might have it , but a lot of copies are now made cheaply for distribution in specified countries/markets only - and , if the original was in a language other than English , they may not have the english soundtrack ;
best to always check "languages" , on the back of the DVD-box !
Old Jul 13th 2006, 7:01 am
What mysterious smile?

La Joconde is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
This is probably going to be a stupid question, but I like watching films and will go to dvd hire shops hopefully, but do all DVD's have the option of English Language on them?

I know you can choose your language on hire DVD's in the UK so I was assuming its the same for mainline films on hire in Spain

I wanted to keep my SKY which would alleviate the need, but as it seems I will need a 2.4 m dish I'm a bit worried as I will be living half way up a hill on the frontline and we get some very very strong winds up there from time to time

Thanks
We built a 3 sided wall (a little bit higher than the dish) to protect our 2.4 m dish from the extremely strong wind, works a treat!
Old Jul 13th 2006, 8:37 am
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by La Joconde
We built a 3 sided wall (a little bit higher than the dish) to protect our 2.4 m dish from the extremely strong wind, works a treat!
Wow, thats an idea .... I hate the idea of having it in a prominent position .... I know its going off topic but does the length of the cable effect the signal at all if you have it positioned away from the house?
Old Jul 13th 2006, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

A properly installed dish should not be affected by the wind.

The limit on the cable run is about 50 meters. More than that and you will need an in-line booster.
Old Jul 13th 2006, 2:56 pm
~*♥*~

Tweetie is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: DVD's in Hire shops

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

The limit on the cable run is about 50 meters. More than that and you will need an in-line booster.
Exactly, we are on a hill too Mitzyboy and our dish is on the roof. We get the Tramontana here and, knock on wood, it's not budged an inch !!!
Old Jul 13th 2006, 4:55 pm
What mysterious smile?

La Joconde is an unknown quantity at this point

Not only we get strong winds here but we also get mini tornados, that can lift a plastic white chair in the air and throw it in the pool, and make the sun loungers dance around the patio....its is rare, but we can hear the wind change and know when a mini tornado is on its way, it lasts a bout a 30 seconds but enough to move things about, so we didnt take any chances with our dish, as we saw it "tremble" once or twice and thought that it may eventually damage the base.

Love living here tho wouldnt change a thing!!
Old Jul 15th 2006, 2:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Unexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
[snip]
[snip]
Annoyingly, most of the English DVDs we brought over from the UK have no Spanish soundtrack on them. They do have like 26 gazillion other languages available though
Old Jul 15th 2006, 4:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

When the Levante is blowing we loose channel 5 and can only get BBC London and Northern Ireland.