Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Driving in Spain - in crocs

Driving in Spain - in crocs

Old Apr 26th 2011, 10:06 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving in Spain - in crocs

Originally Posted by megmet
It's actually not a silly law at all, it's so easy for sandals without backs to slip off the foot and cause an accident!
As JLFS says....it's quite legal to drive in sandals with backs in them, so even in the heat of summer it's not too much of a hardship!
I myself, drive in a pale pink pair of slingbacks with nice little kitten heels, and a small platform sole.

I would suggest that more men use this type of footwear whilst driving, because if you are stopped for ANY driving offense, including speeding, then the police are very reluctant to pursue the matter, in fact they always seem to be in a hurry to be on their way when they notice my footwear.

They dont even ask to see my papers??????
Old Apr 26th 2011, 10:07 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jago25_98
oh dear, I was hoping to get away from silly laws. Is it true? One has to drive in the heat with hot shoes on?
It's not that silly. I've popped the car outside the gates prior to going out when I was wearing crocs, -with a strap, and the damn things slipped, causing the car to lurch suddenly. No way would I drive in them.
Old Apr 26th 2011, 10:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
I myself, drive in a pale pink pair of slingbacks with nice little kitten heels, and a small platform sole.

I would suggest that more men use this type of footwear whilst driving, because if you are stopped for ANY driving offense, including speeding, then the police are very reluctant to pursue the matter, in fact they always seem to be in a hurry to be on their way when they notice my footwear.

They dont even ask to see my papers??????
Old Apr 26th 2011, 10:15 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone remember Shell Suits?
Old Apr 26th 2011, 10:23 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
Anyone remember Shell Suits?
Now there's something I was trying to forget...
Old Apr 26th 2011, 11:22 pm
Just Joined

jago25_98 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by megmet
It's actually not a silly law at all, it's so easy for sandals without backs to slip off the foot and cause an accident!
I see your point.

I still think it's bull though!

And the only reason I think it's the way it is not because a flip flop has ever caused someone to die but because no one cares enough to say actually wearing slip flops is more important than life!

Call me cynical but it sounds more likely someone wanted to make a buck sueing a flip flop manufacturer and make an excuse both to themselves and others that really there is no need to feel guilty... and this got embedded into law.

You picked the wrong fight today. The flip flop no sock slip knock knock union will be woe betide a no no on this one en serio.
Old Apr 26th 2011, 11:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

You picked the wrong fight today. The flip flop no sock slip knock knock union will be woe betide a no no on this one en serio.
Nobody is picking a fight..... it's just plain common sense, but then some folks just don't have any!
Old Apr 27th 2011, 8:41 am
bil
Banned

I see your point.

I still think it's bull though!

And the only reason I think it's the way it is not because a flip flop has ever caused someone to die but because no one cares enough to say actually wearing slip flops is more important than life!

Call me cynical but it sounds more likely someone wanted to make a buck sueing a flip flop manufacturer and make an excuse both to themselves and others that really there is no need to feel guilty... and this got embedded into law.

I am one of the first to agree that HSE has gone far too far, and this seems to be a plan to eliminate common sense. I agree that there are far too many silly, pettyfogging little Hitlers trying to enforce their rules onto every item in our lives.

However, ALL footwear that is a sloppy fit is potentially dangerous when driving. Show me a pair of crocs that fit snugly and securely, and I'll be happy to drive in them.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 9:40 am
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

Thats why I advocate bare feet ! snug fitting nothing to come undone sorted !!!!!
Old Apr 28th 2011, 2:50 am
Just Joined

lemon_drizzle is an unknown quantity at this point

I learn't to drive barefoot and find it easier. Someone recently told me its illegal to drive barefoot in the UK. Does that apply to Spain? I have driven in shoes here (NZ) because its so bloody cold!!!
Old Apr 28th 2011, 5:28 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lemon_drizzle
I learn't to drive barefoot and find it easier. Someone recently told me its illegal to drive barefoot in the UK. Does that apply to Spain? I have driven in shoes here (NZ) because its so bloody cold!!!
Yes, it's not allowed here either.
Old Apr 30th 2011, 9:49 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lemon_drizzle
Nope, not illegal to drive in barefoot at all, the law only states that whatever footwear you have it has to be firmly attached to your feet and it needs to be able to distinguish between the pedals. I used to be in barefoot everywhere I went, including at work at times, and I was once pulled over by the police and was driving barefoot, he could not give a rats arse that I was barefoot... it was other things he was pissed at me for!
Old Apr 30th 2011, 10:37 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Nope, not illegal to drive in barefoot at all, the law only states that whatever footwear you have it has to be firmly attached to your feet and it needs to be able to distinguish between the pedals. I used to be in barefoot everywhere I went, including at work at times, and I was once pulled over by the police and was driving barefoot, he could not give a rats arse that I was barefoot... it was other things he was pissed at me for!
Down to interpretation again then - I was stopped and 'told off' for not wearing shoes!
Old Apr 30th 2011, 10:53 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Down to interpretation again then - I was stopped and 'told off' for not wearing shoes!
Maybe, I have been "told off" for a great many things by the police, but the question was "Is it illegal" I even said to the copper that I expected him to throw the book at me for not having shoes on, he replied that "poor fashion sense and questionable personal hygiene" were not against the law... Not being an arse, just giving information, it isn't illegal and however law is interpreted, if there is no legislation then it won't be against the law.
Old Apr 30th 2011, 12:45 pm
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Maybe, I have been "told off" for a great many things by the police, but the question was "Is it illegal" I even said to the copper that I expected him to throw the book at me for not having shoes on, he replied that "poor fashion sense and questionable personal hygiene" were not against the law... Not being an arse, just giving information, it isn't illegal and however law is interpreted, if there is no legislation then it won't be against the law.
So true.

But if I'm 'told off' by the Guardia, then I listen - never have liked them! How can a state have it's own private army and have to pay annual fines to the EU (another topic perhaps).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.