Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

driving to Spain

driving to Spain

Old Aug 9th 2009, 4:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

London7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud of
Default driving to Spain

Hey guys

I live in BC. i am coming home to UK in September for 3 weeks. i want to drive from england to Spain (Barcelona).

Firstly, am I insane? yes.

Has anyone done this??? how long did it take? places to recommend etc???

Any tips appreciated!
Old Aug 9th 2009, 6:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

pete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: driving to Spain

Lot's of people drive from Britain to Spain - some even drive back again!
Broadly, you have two choices: get across the channel - either by ferry or through the tunnel, then drive down through France to Spain / Barcelona. Or take the car on a ferry to either Bilbao or Santander (they're not that far apart, so not a major factor in making your choice) and down from there. Have a look at the route planner on the Viamichelin site, to work out the cost and duration (and wher to make any overnight stops)

As to being insane - I can't help you with that one.
Old Aug 9th 2009, 8:25 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by London7
Hey guys

I live in BC. i am coming home to UK in September for 3 weeks. i want to drive from england to Spain (Barcelona).

Firstly, am I insane? yes.

Any tips appreciated!
If that is BC in Canada then yes you are insane to come to Spain.
Old Aug 9th 2009, 9:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

London7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jdr
If that is BC in Canada then yes you are insane to come to Spain.
Yep, BC Canada.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 7:34 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, BC Canada.
Honestly, stay there. ;-))
Old Aug 10th 2009, 4:10 pm
Banned

Tele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the rough

London to Barcelona is about 1400 km if you go through the tunnel. The tunnel is preferable as it is the quickest. Driving that in a day is easy if 2 of you are sharing the driving. I've driven Alicante to London in a day and that's an extra 600 km. Left at 10 am, arrived at 6 am.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 4:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

ForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jdr
Why? I'm moving out of BC. It rains a lot & miserable. Houses are expensive in Vancouver.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 4:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ForHotspot
Why? I'm moving out of BC. It rains a lot & miserable. Houses are expensive in Vancouver.
I went to Vancouver a few years ago, from Spain and couldnt believe how cheap everything was, food, restaurants, cars and even houses were cheaper than in Spain.

Yes the weather is a bit misserable, I know what you mean

I am always puzzled when Vancouver tops the quality of life surveys, although I quite enjoyed it and especially the proper snow at Whistler, I thought downtown Vancouver was rather bland and looked like any other North American city. Plus it was winter and the streets were full of junkies.

But then I unashamably love Spanish cities
Old Aug 10th 2009, 4:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

ForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to all

Houses are not cheap anymore in Vancouver but the foods & restaurants are really nice & cheap. I suppose if you consider the size of houses, they are a lot bigger & better design than Spain.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Why?
Old Aug 10th 2009, 8:00 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by paintermujer
Why?
I think the other posters have answered, it was very cheap there, but the housing went sky high when all the rich Hong Kong people moved there.
They started buying houses, knocking them down and building condiminiums (flats) in there place.
Old Aug 11th 2009, 1:23 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Javea by choice / Kazakhstan mostly / UK sometimes!
Mykap will become famous soon enough

I have driven to and from the UK to Javea Spain (1300') a couple of times. I find it best to use the tunnel and break the trip in Bordeaux so its a two day trip. I use the toll roads. I prefer the route via Biarritz to the eastern route. Absolutley no problem except the boredom of motorway driving and the rate at which my Mustang consumes fuel.....

Last edited by Mykap; Aug 11th 2009 at 1:26 pm.
Old Aug 11th 2009, 2:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jdr
I think the other posters have answered, it was very cheap there, but the housing went sky high when all the rich Hong Kong people moved there.
They started buying houses, knocking them down and building condiminiums (flats) in there place.
That's not really the case nowadays. A lot of people from Hong Kong have gone back but there are many Chinese people from China who buy over half million dollars homes & they don't tear them down to build flats.

Sorry for being out of topic mods. Just want to answer jdr's post.