Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Driving from Santander to Alicante

Driving from Santander to Alicante

Old Jul 3rd 2009, 8:47 am
BE Enthusiast

painterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nice
Default Driving from Santander to Alicante

We have decided to take the route south via Zaragoza, then down past Valencia city.

We dont want to pass Madrid - ive always been caught up there.

Time will be of the essence as we will have our cat with us.
Any suggestions or advice.
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 10:54 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving from Santander to Alicante

Can you take pets on to the ferry?
If you need to do a nights stopover then look for places that take pets on this website: www.Toprural.com
It is all straight forward but there are a few toll roads like the AP68.
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 10:55 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Came down from Bilbao just after Christmas on that route via Zaragoza .... its mainly dual carriageway and an easy drive. Make sure you stock on Petrol if you happen to travel at night (which I'm guessing you won't) as open petrol stations at night are few and far between
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 11:04 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I've always driven down the direct motorways, which does take you close to Madrid, which can be a nightmare, especially in August, but if the ferry times haven't altered, you should be off to an early start.

Don't forget that the journey from Valencia to the south of Alicante is around two-and-a-half hours on its own. From here to Madrid is only just over four hours.
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 11:07 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Came down from Bilbao just after Christmas on that route via Zaragoza .... its mainly dual carriageway and an easy drive. Make sure you stock on Petrol if you happen to travel at night (which I'm guessing you won't) as open petrol stations at night are few and far between
Agreed,a very fast,easy, in-expensive and comfortable route since the new road was completed.
Likewise, keep your tank topped up wherever possible.
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 12:20 pm
Banned

correveidile will become famous soon enoughcorreveidile will become famous soon enough

I've been both ways and the Madrid route is by far the quicker (the people recommending the other are in Valencia, not Alicante).

Last edited by correveidile; Jul 3rd 2009 at 12:22 pm.
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 12:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

painterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nicepainterhombre is just really nice

ummmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lots of conflicting opinions.
The ferry gets in at Santander at about midday - half the day gone already.
It will be the end of august so still busy and probably spaniards finishing off their holidays also.

I really think Madrid is a bad option.
We just want to get there asap with the cat.

True, the road from Valencia - Alicante does take time. We know the road well, but i cant see what else to do.

Thankyou all for the info anyway.
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 1:19 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Madrid has been constructing various orbital motorways over the last few years, to ensure that through-traffic doesn't have to go into the city itself. The following link gives some information, but I suspect you'll have to google Spanish sites to get a more up to date picture:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beltway#Madrid

The Spanish version of Wiki unfortunately doesn't make it much clearer:
http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madrid#Autov.C3.ADas
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 1:26 pm
Banned

Tele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the rough

Dude, it looks like you've already made up your mind but, Madrid is empty in August. Everyone and his dog is on holiday. Any traffic will be in the reverse direction (people returning from the Med). You just need to zoom round the M40 to take you from the north side to the south. Traffic will be very light. And if you really want to be speedy you can take the new toll road from Madrid to Albacete and join the A3 there (starts at the junction of the M50 and R4).
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 1:31 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tele Addict
Dude, it looks like you've already made up your mind but, Madrid is empty in August. Everyone and his dog is on holiday. Any traffic will be in the reverse direction (people returning from the Med). You just need to zoom round the M40 to take you from the north side to the south. Traffic will be very light. And if you really want to be speedy you can take the new toll road from Madrid to Albacete and join the A3 there (starts at the junction of the M50 and R4).
All sounds like great advice, unless you're travelling on the last day of the official shutdown. In which case you could get caught in the major queues of MadrileƱos travelling back to home, from Asturias, Cantabria, San Sebastian etc. Having said that, La Crisis this year probably means holiday traffic will be a lot less than in previous years.
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 1:55 pm
Just Joined

torrebloke is an unknown quantity at this point

I do the trip at least once a month and would not recommend going via zaragossa.
AP68 toll road, V23 Zaragossa to Valencia free but then another 2 hour drive south from Valencia.
I have tried various routes round Madrid and the best, shortest and fastest is straight through the midlle on the motorway, whilst every body else uses the ring roads. It has never taken me more than 1 hour from the San Sebastion de los Reyes turn off to the Arganda del Rey turn.
I would go in on the N-1 and stay on that road until you pick the signs up for the A-3 Valencia (do not use the toll road AP-3) this will take you out of Madrid, then A-31.
Trust me it IS the best way by far.
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

SaratonyT is an unknown quantity at this point

We drove down from Santander to the Alicante region at the end of May. Left the ferry at 12 noon and got to our villa at 10 pm that night. Had a great drive down and via Madrid. Lots of new sections of motorway and dual carriageway which bypass Madrid (some so new even our satnav didn't know about them). Plenty of service stations to stop at, we would definately do it again and we intend to take the dog next time!

Also, I must not forget the beautiful scenery!
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 4:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

thank you! That is so helpful. It very much seems a toss-up between madrid route and the other one as so many people keep saying to me about the fact that as soon as you hit madrid, the traffic slows right down and we'll be stuck there for ages!

I wonder too about the fact that aug 31st, our day of travel, is probably the last day of the holidays for spaniards and they will all be driving back to madrid and the roads would be clogged?

when did you travel if you dont mind me asking?

I have also been thinking of the distance from Valencia to Alicante and yes i think wasted travelling hours so may be Madrid is worth the gamble.
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 5:31 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by painterhombre

thank you! That is so helpful. It very much seems a toss-up between madrid route and the other one as so many people keep saying to me about the fact that as soon as you hit madrid, the traffic slows right down and we'll be stuck there for ages!

I wonder too about the fact that aug 31st, our day of travel, is probably the last day of the holidays for spaniards and they will all be driving back to madrid and the roads would be clogged?

when did you travel if you dont mind me asking?

I have also been thinking of the distance from Valencia to Alicante and yes i think wasted travelling hours so may be Madrid is worth the gamble.
Valencia Airport for example to Oliva is 40 mins, and Oliva to Alicante city is just about an hour

I cant say which route you should take, but you mentioned Valencia in your post hence my reply. Have to admit only been near Madrid once and it was a nightmare on the ring road. Signage was terrible, maybe its improved ... this was when we went to Galicia ... got totally lost
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 5:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

This is great info . thank you all so much. Lots to take in and investigate. If it was just us humans then it would be much less hassled and a real laid back adventure.
But with a cat makes it much more desperate.

Thanks and keep it coming.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.