Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Driving in spain

Driving in spain

Old Apr 26th 2008, 7:08 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving in spain

Originally Posted by madcarole
can i ask how you carry all these documents around..as surely you do not leave these documents in the car when you go shopping?

carole

As far as we know the UK is the only European country that does not requite a driver to carry their documents. It is just so normal over here.
Old Apr 26th 2008, 9:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute

What about rental cars? We have yet to be given a car with the breakdown items in it. Last year we started to carry our own warning triangle in our luggage, this year we also take a flouro vest as well.

But why should we? these things are supposed to be provided with the car, but according to the rental office never are, because 'they are stolen' Who the Hell returning to their own country would want to take a breakdown kit as a souvenier?
Old Apr 26th 2008, 9:49 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

OK, good sense to put your own vests and triangles in the car, it's what we do too.

There's a few other things you need too.

If you did get stopped and fined, ask for a copy/receipt from the law and present it to the hire company and demand they recompense you.
Old Apr 26th 2008, 11:00 pm
Forum Regular

madcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bil
OK, good sense to put your own vests and triangles in the car, it's what we do too.

There's a few other things you need too.

If you did get stopped and fined, ask for a copy/receipt from the law and present it to the hire company and demand they recompense you.
when i was over in september i asked about the triangle etc and was told that hire companies have an arrangement with the police and they are let off!!!! oh yeah!! i didnt take any chances and they hired me an emergency pack for another 6 euros i think..all in a red waterproof bag that i left in the boot..i brought my own yellow vests..left the hire contract in the glove compartment and kept my fingers crossed..
thought i had it all sorted - then i was told it was illegal to drive in toe post or strapless sandlas..lol there are no winners..

carole
Old Apr 27th 2008, 1:01 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by madcarole
when i was over in september i asked about the triangle etc and was told that hire companies have an arrangement with the police and they are let off!!!! oh yeah!! i didnt take any chances and they hired me an emergency pack for another 6 euros i think..all in a red waterproof bag that i left in the boot..i brought my own yellow vests..left the hire contract in the glove compartment and kept my fingers crossed..
thought i had it all sorted - then i was told it was illegal to drive in toe post or strapless sandlas..lol there are no winners..

carole

Just a word of warning the jackets are meant to be worn before you get out of the car. So place the jackets where you can access then easily. That is why you often see them draped over backs of seats. The Guardia Civil have been known to fine drivers because they are not accessible. I am not talking about expats either.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 3:01 am
Just Joined

flood will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by teddy14
Im moving to spain in a month and will be needing to buy a car and get it insured etc, I wondered if there was anything I should be aware of and if there was anything specific I need before applying for insurance etc
You can get insurance for your foreign-plated car easily and legally, at least here in Catalunia, handy until your Spanish plates come thru.

You can also go to the ITV and get it inspected and be issued a certificate that it's safe. (The ITV is the Spanish equivalent of the MOT, although it is modelled on the German TüV and hence very efficient).

Any EU driving license is valid in Spain indefinitely, although in theory you should have the annual medical (or whatever).
Old Apr 27th 2008, 3:05 am
Just Joined

flood will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by mikelincs
The residency CARD dose not exist, but you do need a certificate now.
WRONG ! The "Residencia" still does exist, it's no longer compulsory for EU citizens is all. If you want one you can still get one........amusingly I have found my expired Residencia to be accepted and to be just as useful as as when it was valid !
Old Apr 27th 2008, 3:12 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flood
WRONG ! The "Residencia" still does exist, it's no longer compulsory for EU citizens is all. If you want one you can still get one........amusingly I have found my expired Residencia to be accepted and to be just as useful as as when it was valid !
Yes there is some confusion

It IS compulsory for EU citizens to have a residencia certificate if you live here, but the residencia cards are no longer issued generally
Old Apr 27th 2008, 7:44 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

You can get insurance for your foreign-plated car easily and legally, at least here in Catalunia, handy until your Spanish plates come thru.

You can also go to the ITV and get it inspected and be issued a certificate that it's safe. (The ITV is the Spanish equivalent of the MOT, although it is modelled on the German TüV and hence very efficient).

Any EU driving license is valid in Spain indefinitely, although in theory you should have the annual medical (or whatever).
Sure the insurance companies will take your money and tell you a load of crap.
You cannot legally insure a UK car in Spain it has to be insured, mot`d and taxed in the country of origin to be legal on the roads in Spain.
The only time you can legally drive a UK car is if you are on a touring holiday, or you are in the process of matriculating it to Spanish plates.
If you are in Spàin for more than three months you are deemed a resident and it is illegal for you to drive a foreign vehicle.
The ITV on a foreign vehicle is not worth the paper it is printed on.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 7:45 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

are we?

Seriously??

are we actually debating the insurance issue again!?
Old Apr 27th 2008, 8:10 am

...... (The ITV is the Spanish equivalent of the MOT, although it is modelled on the German TüV and hence very efficient)......
Is that so? having seen yearly tests for cars in several different European countries we feel that the Spanish(ITV) is one of the least strict.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 8:23 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
are we?

Seriously??

are we actually debating the insurance issue again!?
When something is so complicated by all the 'experts' all giving a different account of what is needed, I expect we will debate this subject many times in the future.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 8:26 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
When something is so complicated by all the 'experts' all giving a different account of what is needed, I expect we will debate this subject many times in the future.
Or "yes" to the less convoluted among us.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 8:48 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
What is needed is Tax, MOT and Insurance in country of origin until matriculation to local plates.
Sooooo simple.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 9:40 am
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Or "yes" to the less convoluted among us.
Unless you wish to indicate the future as I did.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.