Reload this Page >

Driving from Santander to Estepona

Driving from Santander to Estepona

Old Apr 4th 2012, 1:50 pm
Just Joined

fitnesschick is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Driving from Santander to Estepona

Hi

As anyone done this drive please, I have put the journey into google maps and given me three options.

If anyone has done this route and can advise I would appreciate.

I am arriving on ferry at 6 pm, and we plan to drive through the evening.

Thank you
Old Apr 4th 2012, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

Lospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving from Santander to Estepona

Hi,
I have just done it to Fuengirola, it is almost straight down From Santander to Burgos, then to Madrid, from Madrid to Cordoba, then the route south to the coast. If you miss the traffic in Madrid, you can be south in a relatively quick time. A very pleasant journey, I prefer to do it in the day just to see the landscape.

Regards
Al

You have a different option to head more towards Seville from Madrd(your end of the Costa)
Old Apr 4th 2012, 11:44 pm
Just Joined

thank you very much
Old Apr 5th 2012, 8:29 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fitnesschick
Hi

As anyone done this drive please, I have put the journey into google maps and given me three options.

If anyone has done this route and can advise I would appreciate.

I am arriving on ferry at 6 pm, and we plan to drive through the evening.

Thank you
Last December did it from Santander down to Granada
unless it has improved the motorways round the western side of Madrid were a nightmare - more so because it was dark and raining and quite frightening.

if that area is still under construction would suggest coming down further to the west - via Salamanca, Cacares and Seville unless someone else has experience of that route as i havent tried it yet

hth

Last edited by Domino; Apr 5th 2012 at 8:39 am.
Old Apr 5th 2012, 8:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
Last December did it from Santander down to Granada
unless it has improved the motorways round the western side of Madrid were a nightmare - more so because it was dark and raining and quite frightening.

if that area is still under construction would suggest coming down further to the west - via Salamanca, Cacares and Seville unless someone else has experience of that route as i havent tried it yet

hth
I've done both routes, but from Oviedo rather than Santander

The Western route takes nearly an hour longer, but with the advantage that you miss Madrid and can stop at a number of lovely towns/cities; Salamanca, Caceres, Plasencia etc

I didnt find any of the motorways a nightmare, the exact opposite. The only slightly difficult bit is navigating on the ringroad around Madrid. Make sure you have a TomTom or have studied the directions beforehand
Old Apr 9th 2012, 8:55 pm
Just Joined

Thank you
Old Apr 10th 2012, 8:36 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
I've done both routes, but from Oviedo rather than Santander

The Western route takes nearly an hour longer, but with the advantage that you miss Madrid and can stop at a number of lovely towns/cities; Salamanca, Caceres, Plasencia etc

I didnt find any of the motorways a nightmare, the exact opposite. The only slightly difficult bit is navigating on the ringroad around Madrid. Make sure you have a TomTom or have studied the directions beforehand
the only reasons I found the western ringroads round Madrid a nightmare were it was dark, been raining all day, the roadworks seemed never ending, never done the trip before, it was rush hour, travelling alone.
I didnt like it, probably another day, another time, I wouldnt have had bad vibes about it.