laslopeady is an unknown quantity at this point
Default driving from Santander

Hi
Not sure if this has been asked before.
Has anyone who has done the trip got any tips:
How many stopovers and where ?;
Budget hotels ?;
best routes etc

Am thinking of driving down this summer and staying for 4/6 weeks so in no particular rush.
Ta
Laslopeady
Old Jan 19th 2010, 3:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

guesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: driving from Santander

Originally Posted by laslopeady
Hi
Budget hotels ?;
best routes etc

Am thinking of driving down this summer and staying for 4/6 weeks so in no particular rush.
Ta
Laslopeady
It has been asked before even down to the Toll costs and how to avoid them, just search the Spain forum.
I would offer advice but I have not done the journey myself
Old Jan 19th 2010, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

Marymaccy is an unknown quantity at this point

We did the drive last November and found it incredibly easy - dual carriageway the whole journey and did not pay a penny (cent) in tolls.

I don't remember the road numbers, but we drove via Valladolid, Salamanca, and then down through Extremedura. We were going to stop off in Caceres, however, we got there earlier than we thought so we carried on and did the whole journey in a day!

Maybe it is busier in Summer, but it really is not a difficult journey and if you are not in a hurry, I am sure Salamanca is worth checking out, as it Caceres.

Good luck!
Old Feb 5th 2010, 7:24 am
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by laslopeady
Hi
Budget hotels ?;
best routes etc

Ta
Laslopeady
Yes, We did it too, the year before last. We did stop in Cacares. The roads are good all the way. We stayed at the hotel Extremadura in Cacares. it has underground parking. Very friendly. Don't try the local famous cheese though, unless you have a strong stomach!
Old Feb 5th 2010, 8:49 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Just go to Google Maps (if you don't have it on your toolbar then you can search for it) Type "Santander to Ayamonte" in the query box and you will get out a detailed turn-by-turn description of the journey (and alternative routes - for the advanced user you can click and hold on the route on the map and drag it to specific places you'd like to visit on the way!!! or type them in as added destinations). You could even zoom in to the potentially tricky bits and print yourself a detailed map.
(you can even have a look at the road in satellite view and a bit of it has streetview pictures as well.
Next - if you click on the <businesses> link and type in "hotels" it will even show you hotels en route (although it's probably better to be zoomed into a specific town for that!)
Google maps is magic - nobody should evr get lost again
Old Feb 5th 2010, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

iant will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by MikeJ
Just go to Google Maps (if you don't have it on your toolbar then you can search for it) Type "Santander to Ayamonte" in the query box and you will get out a detailed turn-by-turn description of the journey (and alternative routes - for the advanced user you can click and hold on the route on the map and drag it to specific places you'd like to visit on the way!!! or type them in as added destinations). You could even zoom in to the potentially tricky bits and print yourself a detailed map.
(you can even have a look at the road in satellite view and a bit of it has streetview pictures as well.
Next - if you click on the <businesses> link and type in "hotels" it will even show you hotels en route (although it's probably better to be zoomed into a specific town for that!)
Google maps is magic - nobody should evr get lost again
Although in general I am a big fan of Google products, I have to say that their Maps system can be less than reliable. With a trip to Biarritz from Madrid a couple of years ago they tried to send me along a new highway that was not due to be completed for at least a year. Since then I have learned to compare their suggested route with an updated detailed road map.

The Michelin system is worth giving a try. At least to date they have not tried to send me along non-existent roads!

Good luck.

iant
Old Feb 6th 2010, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

laslopeady is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks for all your suggestions. I will do some more research.
Thanks
Laslo peady